Learning how to ride a bike as an adult...

Options
I've set a goal to learn how to ride a bike this summer...any tips for a grown woman trying to learn?? Anyone learn as an adult?

Replies

• relly1008
    relly1008 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Bump, i need to learn that too :blushing:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you might need someone there with you to help you with balance at first. You can do it!
  • Roseysue
    Roseysue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately have no idea how to help you learn to ride a bike but I just started getting into biking this summer and I love it!! I'm a big girl (I have a lot of weight to lose) and I don't care that my backside is drooping over my seat while I'm riding. It's a great workout and gets me outside! So - this is me being encouraging but not helpful. Good luck!
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I, unfortunately, don't have any advice. I think it's mostly about confidence. I remember my parents tricking me into riding without them holding on and when I realized they weren't holding on, I freaked and fell.

That being said, I just wanted to say congrats for learning something new! I took an adult beginner swim class this year. I decided it was time to finally learn and it felt great.

Good luck!
  • jasond8023
    jasond8023 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of learning as well! I am getting better. Just be kind to yourself and exercise some patience. I am riding around parking lots until I get the hang of it.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I learnt at 16, it's no different then learning as a child :)

Just get on and pedal like crazy! Maybe get someone who knows what they're doing to keep an eye on you
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Here's how a biker friend of mine told me to teach my kids (worked with 2 out of 3, the first did not really want to learn!): Find a gently sloping grassy hill. Go to the top of the hill on the bike and let gravity take you down. Start out with both feet sticking out, don't try to balance with your feet on the pedals yet. Keep doing that until you really *feel* the balance part of biking. Then you can add the pedaling until you can stay up. Good luck, I LOVE biking!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Go somewhere quiet and flat, preferably short grass and just get on and start pedalling! My youngest did this and took to it straight off. Once moving the centrifugal forces from the spinning wheels will keep you steady. Good luck!
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    Sorry! No tips, but i'm happy to see that i'm not alone. I really thought I was!
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sorry, no help either, but super amounts of "cheers!!!" Good for you for trying something new!:drinker:
  • kumanekochan
    kumanekochan Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My advice is to buy a separate cushion for your bike seat. IF you're not used to riding one, your booty is going to hurt! I rarely rode mine because of that but once I bought one, I rode it more much.

Good luck and please wear a helmet! You may feel like you look silly, but there's a reason they make them!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Here's how a biker friend of mine told me to teach my kids (worked with 2 out of 3, the first did not really want to learn!): Find a gently sloping grassy hill. Go to the top of the hill on the bike and let gravity take you down. Start out with both feet sticking out, don't try to balance with your feet on the pedals yet. Keep doing that until you really *feel* the balance part of biking. Then you can add the pedaling until you can stay up. Good luck, I LOVE biking!
    Exactly how I learned, works great.
  • BeantownSooner
    Options
    YouTube it! Plenty there to teach you but go to a place with a slight decline that's grassy. 1st start by just learning to balance and coast down the hill. Do this until you feel comfortable. Once you do go back up the hill and work on pedaling.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow "grit"! The only advice I have is " just push off and go". I think most adults would want to take it really slow at first but you have to be going a certain speed for the thing to stay up. That's not really fast but adequate. Before my arthritis got so bad I loved riding the "rails-to-trails", No hills, no dirt roads and no traffic. Good luck.
  • DanRyan44
    DanRyan44 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    IDK if I would start on a hill...
    I have taught MANY kids to ride... The secret to teaching someone else to ride is to turn the handlebars back and forth A LOT and keep doing this while you pedal. This helps you balance while pedaling. MOST IMPORTANT... keep trying. DON'T GIVE UP!

I love riding my bike. It makes me feel like a kid.

OH YEAH... WEAR A HELMET!
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just got a bike after not riding for over 30 years and I was very afraid. I ended up getting one of those big cruiser bikes and I'm glad I did because I feel more secure. I did move the handlebars a lot at first but don't stop!

I would have someone walk beside you at first to help balance if you start tipping
  • louabaker
    louabaker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A great place to learn to ride a bike is your local park baseball field. The dirt infield is easier to ride on than grass and makes for a softer landing should you crash. Good luck!
  • StrongerNC
    StrongerNC Posts: 13
    Options
    It's ok, thanks for the encouragement!
  • StrongerNC
    Options
    Good idea...didn't think of a baseball field...
  • StrongerNC
    Options
    I am in the process of learning as well! I am getting better. Just be kind to yourself and exercise some patience. I am riding around parking lots until I get the hang of it.

That's awesome!!! Sounds like you are doing great...I still have two friends holding me up as I try to balance and pedal...