How do you say no to the snacks at a party?

Options

Replies

• MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    Simple.... "No Thank You."

You either choose to, or choose not to. It's your choice what eat and how much.

This. "No, thank you."
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    If you really cant deny yourself, have a little bit of what you want instead of a lot. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Jessamyfrm
    Jessamyfrm Posts: 89
    Options
    I have a big glass of water, wait 2 minutes then ask myself again if I REALLY need that snack.

90% of the time the glass of water fills me up or the impulse to actually have that unnecessary chocolate bar is gone.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If you've been on MFP for any length of time, you've probably seen these before. But sometimes we need reminders so...

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/upload/135178426285350333_jDtlijha_c.jpg

http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/upload/36521446948224299_ksSzKnr9_c.jpg

http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/upload/197102921161632347_4HmYC2HO_c.jpg

I would just say "no thanks", have water on hand to keep my hands occupied and focus on the social aspect of the party. Isn't that why people have parties in the first place?
  • msmindylee
    msmindylee Posts: 61
    Options
    Believe me, this is something I struggle with. A lot. One thing I've found that does help - sometimes - is to think about how I will feel after I eat _______ (fill in the blank). Honestly, that's what got me off of a lot of the crappy food I used to like. I realized I feel disgusting after eating it.

The other thing that has helped me, though I can't say I've been able to apply it consistently, is to remind myself that I am worth it. It's okay for me to care enough about myself to pass over certain foods RIGHT NOW because they are not going to be healthy for me TODAY. There may be other days when they will be okay for me to have, but just not today. Because I am caring for myself - not depriving myself.

Don't know if that makes any sense at all, just sharing some stuff I've learned that works for me. Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I open my mouth and form the words "Thanks but I brought this stuff" and I hold up all the awesome healthy snacks I brought to the party, cause im classy and wouldnt show up empty handed anyway.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Honestly though, are the parties so dull that you keep thinking about the food? I know at bbqs I go to I tend to forget about the food because we're busy kicking a football about or something.

Okay, first I'm pretty much thinking about food all the time, dull or not. Right now I'm thinking about dinner, I'm thinking about what's in my fridge, I'm thinking about what my next snack can be, I'm thinking about all of the food at the party. It's how I became obese and yes, I'm already seeing a therapist.

At these parties my friends/ family have a tendency to congregate in the kitchen, where the food and booze are. It's tough to sit in a kitchen for 4 or 5 hours surrounded by food, watching other people eat and comment on the food without wanting to eat some of it.

My social circle seems to be quite a bit different from yours.

Dude! Wow, I'm genuinely impressed then if you feel like that and have lost all the weight shown on your ticker...good going! :)

I don't know what to suggest though, just try to have the sort of levels of self control that you've clearly shown to date...want to not screw it up more than you want to eat...
  • lroberts5
    lroberts5 Posts: 26
    Options
    Try hanging out in a room different from the food. Also, make yourself a nice big ol' chocolate protein shake and sip on it. Keep something like that in your hands. Water won't stop you, but something chocolatey and filling like a protein drink will after you've sipped on it for a while and you are full.
  • andreamelo1
    andreamelo1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    just say no simple
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Try gum. Noting tastes good with gum in your mouth, and if you chew it for awhile you won't have the desire to mix and match gum/cake?
    Idk, I feel like that sort of works for me. But honestly I would just enjoy the free food :P.

LOL I agree, nothing tastes good after gum, but a little won't kill you.Resist the overeating part, and allow yourself a little.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Honestly though, are the parties so dull that you keep thinking about the food? I know at bbqs I go to I tend to forget about the food because we're busy kicking a football about or something.

Okay, first I'm pretty much thinking about food all the time, dull or not. Right now I'm thinking about dinner, I'm thinking about what's in my fridge, I'm thinking about what my next snack can be, I'm thinking about all of the food at the party. It's how I became obese and yes, I'm already seeing a therapist.

At these parties my friends/ family have a tendency to congregate in the kitchen, where the food and booze are. It's tough to sit in a kitchen for 4 or 5 hours surrounded by food, watching other people eat and comment on the food without wanting to eat some of it.

My social circle seems to be quite a bit different from yours.

You are not alone! I think about food all the time too! I try to log my food the day before to make sure I stay on track! That way I know how many calories I have left to allot for the party! Plus who doesn't go to a party, see food & not want to eat it!!! It isn't that the party is boring or other activities aren't going on, it's FOOD!!!!! Why do you think people are on here trying to lose weight? She is on here for suggestions, not to be ridiculed! Sorry but that really irritated me!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Like this: *shakes head* No thanks. Not right now, I'm full. Had a big dinner.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that: "Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!"
    And then I suck down some carrots, celery, and a lot of water.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options

What can I do to either avoid the snacks or discourage my body from freaking out?

"no thankyou, i've just eaten"

"no thanks i'm not hungry"

really !!! :noway:
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I tell them I've started seeing other snacks and ask them if we can still be friends on a very limited basis. They're usually surprisingly agreeable.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Carry a clutch in one hand (and don't put it down) - that leaves only one hand for eating/drinking, and it's hard to hold a plate and eat with only one hand. In your open hand, either munch CAREFULLY and slowly, or have a drink to sip on!
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Choose to.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Hit the veggies, everything else in very small portions, and sit well away from the spread. Also a good idea is to put everything you are going to eat on a plate before you eat anything. Grazing will undermine even the most portion conscious of us, but putting it on a plate so you can actually see what you are eating helps a lot. And just stay away from dips, cakes, and any other taboo food altogether.

Oh, and mingle well away from the food table. I've been to three parties in the last two weeks, and the biggest helper I had was distance. If I had to get up and walk across the room for something to eat, I had plenty of time to contemplate whether this was a good idea or not, and usually didn't bother.
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I never WANT to say no. I know I SHOULD say no but I don't want to...so I don't. Instead I am good for every single day that week, like way overly good, like exercsing ridiculous and eating under my calorie count. And then on the day of an event that I know is coming I literally eat Saltines for BF, and lunch, and then I go to the party and eat whatever the eff I want. And then I am super good for two days after and by then I am back to normal. But I am maintaining so maybe mine's a different story. But it works for me! Then I can eat literally 1600 calories in one sitting. Which admittedly is not so good for the digestion, but when its only once in a while it doesn't kill me.
  • JoeSzup
    JoeSzup Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat something I shouldn't, I try to compare it to what I currently eat OR how much additional exercise I would need to work it off. It's a battle of willpower, but sometimes viewing it this way helps.

This is what I used to eat for breakfast:
    Ho Ho's (1 package, 3 cakes)
    Calories 370
    Fat 17g
    Carbs 54g
    Sugars 42g
    Protein 2g

--- This is what I had for my 7am to 9am meal ---

6 Egg whites
    1 Spicy Chipotle Chicken Sausage
    4.25 oz. Applewood Smoked Ham

Calories 414
    Fat 16g
    Carbs 6g
    Sugars ?? (not measured, but I'm sure it's below 42g!)
    Protein 58g