How do you say no to the snacks at a party?

Options

Replies

• Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    bump one of my challenges too.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I've been dieting for a year now, through every major holiday and birthday on my calendar, and I'm just ten measly pounds away from my goal weight. And at every special event now, no matter how much I promise I'll stick to the veggie tray, I overindulge and put on one to two pounds of water weight that refuse to budge for a week. Even when I stay within my maintenance calories. I know it's not fat that I'm putting on, but I feel like all these special occasions are slowing my weight loss at this stage.

What can I do to either avoid the snacks or discourage my body from freaking out?

This weekend is the joint birthday party for two of my friends and they're putting out quite a spread. Two cakes: Boston Cream Pie Cake and Caramel Delight Girl Scout Cookie Cake. Buffalo chicken dip, artichoke dip, various chips & vegetables, homemade hummus, possibly some cookie dough truffles, and if I'm really lucky they promise deviled eggs and roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic aioli.

I already know that I want to eat these foods. I already feel my willpower turned to jelly. I try to build these events into my day and leave enough room for snacks and I indulge. I try to fill up before I go over there and still I indulge. I try to stick to the veggie tray or promise myself just a little bit of everything. I drink tons of water at the party, I exercise, I've tried all the tricks I have in my bag and still my body freaks out every time.

Help me MFP, you're my only hope.

First, approach the snack table respectively. Gently let the snacks know that you really love them and would love to spend hours with them or at least until they're all gone. Remind them that they are not conducive to your weight loss goals, dip a carrot stick in some of that hummus, and walk away smiling knowing your willpower won.

For me, I just workout like a madman so I can eat all that good stuff!
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    The word "no" is a complete sentence
  • healthyfityoga
    Options
    Try gum. Noting tastes good with gum in your mouth, and if you chew it for awhile you won't have the desire to mix and match gum/cake?
    Idk, I feel like that sort of works for me. But honestly I would just enjoy the free food :P.

^ I agree. Gum will occupy your taste buds and if anyone offers you to take snacks then you can say no cause you have gum
  • nnoland
    nnoland Posts: 15 Member
    Options

on the other hand, i'm in ketosis so i rarely get cravings for things. bag of doritos sitting next to me and i don't even want them.
    I'm sorry I just have to say Ketosis is horrible and you should not diet this way. It is tricking your body into starvation and you can go into kidney failure. Diabetics go into ketosis when they cannot get the insulin to let the glucose into the cell. Please don't do this.
    - concerned citizen of MFP
  • High_D
    High_D Posts: 10
    Options
    I've been successful at functions like these by eating BEFORE you go! Before leaving for the party, eat healthy foods, be sure to eat some protein. It's a whole lot easier to say "No" on a fuller stomach.

Senses that will trigger overeating are sight and smell.

Don't hang around the food tables too.
  • starringmelissa
    Options
    Every Tuesday I attend my boyfriend's Bocce Ball games and at EVERY GAME there is the most tasty, highly caloric food. Last night for example, there were two enormous fresh locally owned/prepared pizza. Luckily, in the case of last night, I was aware there would be pizza so I formulated a plan: I ate dinner before I left, at the game I kept my hands busy by holding a diet soda or keeping score and stayed literally upwind of the pizza boxes, and the whole time I planned a tasty dessert of raspberries and low fat whipped cream. When people asked, why aren't you eating? I was honest and explained, I'm trying to eat healthier and feel better.

Basically, I think the bottom line is, if you know you are going to be in a situation where there is tempting food that you have not accounted for in your calorie count, to have a plan. Bring snacks (I've been carrying a bigger purse lately to hold this), drink a bunch of water.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't, I just make sure I earn some extra calories before the party, like a walk to earn a couple hundred extra. I did that for the 4th of July bbq and enjoyed without worrying;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    I've been dieting for a year now, through every major holiday and birthday on my calendar, and I'm just ten measly pounds away from my goal weight. And at every special event now, no matter how much I promise I'll stick to the veggie tray, I overindulge and put on one to two pounds of water weight that refuse to budge for a week. Even when I stay within my maintenance calories. I know it's not fat that I'm putting on, but I feel like all these special occasions are slowing my weight loss at this stage.

What can I do to either avoid the snacks or discourage my body from freaking out?

This weekend is the joint birthday party for two of my friends and they're putting out quite a spread. Two cakes: Boston Cream Pie Cake and Caramel Delight Girl Scout Cookie Cake. Buffalo chicken dip, artichoke dip, various chips & vegetables, homemade hummus, possibly some cookie dough truffles, and if I'm really lucky they promise deviled eggs and roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic aioli.

I already know that I want to eat these foods. I already feel my willpower turned to jelly. I try to build these events into my day and leave enough room for snacks and I indulge. I try to fill up before I go over there and still I indulge. I try to stick to the veggie tray or promise myself just a little bit of everything. I drink tons of water at the party, I exercise, I've tried all the tricks I have in my bag and still my body freaks out every time.

Help me MFP, you're my only hope.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I don't.
    Why go to a party if you can't party?
    I call it "free day" and have fun :drinker:
  • ladygrly
    ladygrly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's hard because you want to be polite, but if you turn them down they will forget about it later.

Try to arrange "non-food" outfits with friends and family!
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Have whatever you want but in small portions and don't eat anymore of anything after that. Eat it all slowly so it lasts longer so you enjoy it. Don't deprive yourself when you can have less of it, not cut it out completely. Moderation. And if you end up pigging out, remember to forgive yourself and move on. Workout hard the next day and drink a lot of water and get back to eating proper. You're human.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go, snack on tomatoes, celery. Drink lots of water. Stick to lean protein if you snack on that and bring sugar free gum. Hope that helps! Good luck.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you've eaten prior to the event and drink water during, then you are not eating out of hunger.
    Try to be aware of why you are eating, and what you are eating.

Are you eating items high in protein? Or are you hitting only the carbs?
    Because it looks tasty? Fine have a taste. But why keep eating after that? Are you bored, nervous, mirroring those around you?

Try to move around during the party -- don't sit. And remember this isn't the only food in the world. You will get another chance to eat buffalo dip again -- so it's okay to taste and then stop.

At some point you may think "I've had enough -but I can't stop!" So go to the bathroom and brush your teeth. Rinse with a travel-size mouthwash. Or pop a piece of mint gum. If you are caught in a cycle, break it.

And don't beat yourself up afterwards. Your journey may take a little longer, but there is nothing 'bad' about that. especially if you are enjoying the trip.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    I see alot of people saying "gum" as the answer. Gum makes me more hungry as does water. With the gum, I'm not sure if it's my stomach saying "ok I know you're chewing something but the only thing coming in here is flavored spit" lol Anywho, I'd say eat before you get there and get in a great exercise earlier in the day. OR use portion control when eating the things you like.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I always have a small piece of everything on the smorgasbord, that way I get all the taste and I'm not missing out. I would suggest the same for you. Just put it all on one plate if you can, and skip the items that aren't as appetizing. And you're done!
  • puma1208
    puma1208 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I let all my friends know when I've started dieting, I explain to them the in's and out's of my diet plan. In other words they don't even want to hear another word about my diet. lol by then they'll know better than to offer my any junk food... Also I drink a gallon of water a day so I'm pretty full thoughout the day... Good luck
  • Cloud9mom
    Cloud9mom Posts: 1
    Options
    Stay in a different room than the food and/or far away from it. If you are there for a long time so you'll eventually need some food, try to set a goal for yourself. Mine in those circumstances:

1) go for items (in moderation) that wasn't prepared from either a bag or a box;
    2) allow myself three bites of dessert - that's all; and
    3) drink only water
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Which do you want more: the food, or to avoid the after effects?

My thing is movie popcorn. Sometimes I decide, just for tonight, I won't have any. Because of the salty water retention. Other times, I go ahead and get it, knowing in advance that I will be 2 lbs heavier in the morning, and it will take a couple of days for it to clear out.
  • sundaywishes
    sundaywishes Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for the long post, but I truly hope this is helpful to you. I think that enjoying things in moderation is great, and I'm happy that you know it's just water weight that you gain, but you asked for help on how to avoid eating these things, so that is what I will (hopefully) provide :smile: If you go in with a game plan, you will do much better than if you went in without one. "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

You said this is a party with your family and friends, and they congregate in the kitchen, correct? Therefore, that leads me to believe this is a house party, and not a party at some fancy hall or whatever, where it would be odd to bring food. Since it's your family and friends, and presumably at a house, I don't see anything wrong with bringing your own contribution of healthy goodies. So that's step 1. Feel free to do all these steps, or mix and match. But if you follow step 2, make sure by the end of the day you've met your calorie goal.

Step 2: Exercise that day, make sure you have a good amount of wiggle room left in your calorie goal if you're going to eat at the party. Drink plenty of water throughout the day, before the party, to stave off any water retention from eating "goodies" (if you end up doing so).

Step 3: Eat before you go. I know you said you have tried that before, but maybe you need to combine several different tactics to achieve success. So make sure you are not hungry and will not be hungry while you're there.

Step 4: If you find yourself wanting to eat (which should be from desire, since you're not hungry if you followed step 3) then have some of the healthy snacks you brought. Better than the "goodies".

Step 5: Drink lots of water during the party. And I mean LOTS. A) You'll have to pee every 5 seconds and you'll be focused on that. B) Have you ever had so much water in one sitting, to the point you almost felt nauseous? I have! That was about 3/4 of a gallon in a one hour period. (:huh: Don't ask why....) I'd say if you drank about a half gallon in that time frame you would be so full you won't even want to think about food, but you won't be at the nauseous point (we want you to have fun!).

Step 6: I would suggest just having a taste of the things that look appetizing, just like other posters have mentioned, and that's it. I now have the ability to do that, but I didn't always. In the past, if I had a bite, it turned into a binge. SO if you know yourself, and know that's what just a bite or two will become, then don't even go for the sweets/spread/etc. But you should be so full from your meal before the party, your healthy snacks that you bring, and your half gallon of water that you don't even want to look at the "goodies" :happy:

Step 7: I also like the mouthwash idea. NOTHING tastes good with mouthwash. Just make sure you got the water in before the mouthwash, otherwise your mouth will fell awkwardly icy cold :wink:

Also, If everyone is congregating in the kitchen, strike up a conversation with just one or two people and then fairly immediately, ask them to move into the living room or another room away from the kitchen. It's easier to do that with just or 2 people than if you're having a group conversation. Tell them you want to show them something, you want to talk about something with them and be ambiguous until you get to the other room, say it's too loud in the kitchen, your back is hurting and the couch would be a lot more comfortable than the bar stools/dining room table chairs/standing/whatever.
  • opalescence
    opalescence Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    saying no isnt always possible, I finally broke free of the pattern at work functions that dish out tons of the unhealthy stuff and it gives me a sense of pride to say no, one time leads to another and now I'm known as the girl who eats healthy when cake is around and I love it.

This is probably what I would do since theres an overabundant amount of goodies that I would be tempted to overindulge is to pick out one thing that you want the most and have a small piece and nurse it, you wont be tempted to pick up something else calorie ridden if you already have something delectable on your plate.
    I also try to leave a bite of the best part so when I throw it away I am teaching myself the food doesnt have control over me.