Replies

• katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I heart carbs. just sayin!
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love bread! I have been eating nothing but sandwiches, wraps, and protein shakes for the last couple of days (working on some stomach issues) and have stayed in my calorie limits and I have had not trouble losing weight and, not all of my bread is whole grain. I love Hawaiian Sweet rolls, so they make up a good portion of bread, and the part is whole grains.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm part Italian so bread is a BIG part of the culture. I can't completely cut it out. I just limit my portions, that's all. It was really hard at first but it got easier along the way.

But in a perfect world, I'd be eating a hunk of torn-off Semolina bread everyday and dunking it in evoo. :laugh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I eat bread! I love it! As with everything it's all about moderation. 2 slices of whole wheat bread a day will not make you fat....a 1/2 of a loaf of bread a day will. Simple. Moderation.
  • shushy70
    shushy70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am a huge carb addict , I started south beach 2 weeks ago , first week was hell , like a crack addict without crack , just finished week 2 and my cravings along with my appetite dissapeared competely , I used to live to eat , now I eat to live !
    I feel better , look and think clearer , no more tummy problems , gas or bloating . Makes me think that maybe wheat and sugar are toxic .....
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Keep the bread. I never totally took it out of my diet, but reduced it substantially - and watched when I ate it too. I ate maybe 1 - 2 servings in the morning and 1-2 servings early evening and still lost a ton of weight. Good luck!
  • rachellem86
    rachellem86 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have definitely reduced the amount of bread that I eat, but I still eat some. In the morning, I'll usually have one slice of toast with natural peanut butter with my eggs.

That being said, I have switched over to rye bread and haven't looked back. It doesn't have any sugar, which I find has helped me lose a few pounds.
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    Most of my lunches are sandwiches. Always have been since I first went to school with a packed lunch at the age of 4 or 5. I think it would be unrealistic for me to cut them out of my diet. I eat a mixture of white and brown, depending on what I fancy on the day. I have been losing weight at about my target rate since I joined MFP.

Umm I think that about sums up my opinion. Don't really see a good reason to not eat bread if you enjoy it!
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I use low calorie bread. They have bread that has 45 calories per slice. Or I use lettuce for sandwiches and burger like a wrap. Also they make sandwich thins 100 calories. I limit my bread. Whole grains are good and full you up.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The Fitbie site (which sells diet books) has an author who claims that Wheat is like poison to your body, especially if you are trying to lose belly fat. Has anyone had experience with this?

The best thing to do with "diet" books is to throw them as hard as you can, run as fast as you can to retrieve them, and repeat the process until you are tired. It's great cardio. Get the hardcovers if you can, they weigh more and will hold up better to repeated throwing.

That made me chuckle!

Thanks to all for another very interesting thread <3
  • enjoythesound
    enjoythesound Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday and at almost every meal (I'm French, and this is maybe cliché but I can't live without bread haha) I've lost 12kg (27 pounds) so far without giving up bread... in my opinion you can eat everything you want but with moderation. And a lot of nutritionists recommend to eat starchy foods every day as part of a healthy balanced diet because they are a good source of energy and the main source of a range of nutrients in our diet. Where you can, choose wholegrain varieties. So maybe try some wholegrain/multigrain bread!
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    I have bread everyday for lunch- To me this is a life change- I don't want a life without bread- or pasta- but that is another topic

I buy the 100 whole wheat from bj's- 2.99 for 2 loaves and 60 calories a slice- also the 100 wheat from walmart close or same in calories and price but the loaves are a bit smaller

this and the oscar meyer turkey 2 slices for 60 calories and a laughing cow cheese are yummy for lunch- I also use the bread for burgers and hotdogs- as it is decent calories and has fiber and the whole family will eat it
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I still eat bread. But I am smarter about the way I eat bread. Instead of having 4 pieces of Italian bread with dinner I have one piece of multi-grain, or whole wheat, healthier bread that goes a lot further.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to cut out breads, unless you are a person who just can't lose weight unless you cut carbs out of your diet like some people on here are. I say just eat at a calorie deficit, with better options like whole grain, and see where that takes you. If you find that nothing is happening make adjustments from there.

There are some good substitutions out there that are low calorie for making sandwiches, like switching to Joseph's Flax Pita pockets which are only 60 calorie, or Joseph's flax roll ups which are 50 calories per serving or 100 for the whole piece, they are both very filling, and delicious. That and things made with Flax Seeds are higher protein.
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have bread everyday pretty much. I just buy the weight watchers bread. Multigrain all the way. 2 slices is only 100 calories. I usually have a two a day (sandwich for lunch). I could never give up bread or I would just end up getting discouraged and giving up. Depends on the person but I dont think bread in moderation is that bad.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up bread at all! So far, I'm happy with my results, so bread isn't really affecting my diet at all. However, I did substitute my honey wheat bread for flat bread rolls. Fewer calories, plus they pack in your grains and a good bit of fiber! I find myself getting full off of a sandwich using the flat bread more than I did the regular honey wheat bread. When I go to restaurants, I (try) to limit myself to one piece of bread if the restaurant serve it. If it were me, I wouldn't cut bread out completely. It's not a bad food. You just have to moderate it!
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love bread and cheese, my absolute favourite foods, and I refuse to be miserable for the sake of losing weight a little quicker. I eat bread almost daily and I always remain under my calorie goal, so suck on that.
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I started off cutting out all bread for a few month. But I missed it too much! So I now use the following:

Healthy Life Whole Grain Whole Wheat bread - 35 cal/slice, 0 g Fat, 8 g carb, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein
    Flat Out Foldit Whole Wheat - 90 cal/each, 2.5 g fat, 15 g carb, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein
    Flat Out Foldit Rosemary & Olive Oil - 100 cal/each, 1 g fat, 20 g carb, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I love bread too! Like some of the others have said - Ezekial bread is a great alternative. I love it toasted. You can find it in the freezer section of most grocery stores. It is awesome. Also, I only get bread that is 100% whole wheat or listed as whole grain (if it's not Ezekiel). Good luck - remember this is a lifestyle change so you don't want to cut everything out all together and sabotage yourself later. So not worth it. :happy:
  • roch1972
    roch1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do with "diet" books is to throw them as hard as you can, run as fast as you can to retrieve them, and repeat the process until you are tired. It's great cardio. Get the hardcovers if you can, they weigh more and will hold up better to repeated throwing.

[/quote]

Hilarious!!