Curly haired girls

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Styling creams work best for me. I let it do what it wants. I like the results from using Hair One (generic for Wen from Sally's).

I think it's funny how 20-some years ago, everyone was getting perms and using curling irons, and now everyone's using flat irons and blowouts. Can't we just embrace what nature gives us?! :laugh:
  • _RachelB_
    _RachelB_ Posts: 10
    Options
    You can't tell in my picture but my hair is like a corkscrew literally all around. After I shower I put a little glob of conditioner in my hair and run it through. The trick is not to separate the strands too much or else you end up with separated curls instead of defined curls. Let it air dry.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    All right so I have naturally curly hair and for the life I cannot find a product that works! I used to blow dry my hair but now since I have daily gym regime I don't see the point in drying it straight. What products do you guys recommend?

I have curly hair as well. If you can afford it I recommed either a Keratin treatment or a Brazilian Blowout. I prefer the Kertain but my stylist switched salons so where she goes I go.

It cuts down on drying time and relaxes your hair with no frizz. An investment for sure but worth it.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I LOVE MY CURLY HAIR!! let loose hun! I putin "AG recoil" it helps keep away the frizz.. and I straighten my bangs.. blow dry my hair after its a little self air dried and im off! :)
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I used to straighten my naturally curly/wavy hair - but it never looked "right" and I got tired of fighting with it.

Lately I have been using Mark Anthony's striclty curls.

Shampoo and condition, apply curl cream or lotion and scrunch. If I need it to dry quicker I blow dry using a large defuser to "scrunch' it and just blow dry it until is slightly damp.

So much easier and saves me at least 30 minutes to get ready in the morning!
  • LAsteve212
    LAsteve212 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use Biotera styling gel, i think it's just a generic version of biolage hair gel. I run it through my hair after I shower and let it air dry. It works really great, and it doesn't have that crunchy feel to it!
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have long curly hair and I LOVE Aussie moist shampoo and condition. I finish it off with a little olive oil on my ends. Yes olive oil! I then apply Garnier styling cream and Aussie Freeze gel and Hair spray. That’s a lot of work :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I love-love-love my curls!

Most days I use Pantene Smoothing Hair Balm. If I put it in when my hair is super wet and avoid touching it, my curls rock!

My other favorite product is anything in the Macadamia Oil product line. I'll put the oil on along with the Pantene Hair Balm on days when I need a little extra....such as the hot, humid days we've been having here lately!
  • Dropitlikeitshotchic
    Options
    Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Tousling Spray - I have naturally curly hair and I Love love love this... it makes for soft curls when your hair is dry not that crunchy when dry stuff.
  • angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yay for the curly girls! Curly hair is dry so moisturize with Argan Oil or warm coconut oil. I love my Visible Changes products...first Edit and follow up with Voluptitude. I also love my Sebastian Whipped Creme!
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just had my hair cut and bought a product by TIGI called Catwalk Curlesque... so far I am very happy with it, I use a little of that and I have very long hair with gel and I'm good to go. I do notice in the summer and winter I have to try different products though. It's definitely a trial and error with curly hair. Hope you find what works for you!!
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I wear mine natural and let it be wild. I do use Wen. I also Garnier Fructis spray gel, and a little hairspray to tame the frizzies.

It's too damn hot out to use that blower and flat iron... I will leave that for the fall.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my curls for SO LONG. But now I love them. Mine take love to get where it is now...

Have you heard of the curly-girl method? Google it. I though "BS" but I swear by it now for curly girls. I dont always not shampoo my hair, but ALL of my shampoos are SULFATE FREE. Very important. All of my conditioners are vegan or all natural. It really helps my hair. All those chemicals in the other stuff works to clean, but strips the natrual oil that curl hair needs to be pretty and not frizzy.

So my daily routine;
    1. Shower, sulfate free shampoo. Condition, and let sit for 1-2 minutes, Rinse with cold water (locks in oils).
    2. Dont brush hair out of shower.
    3. Flip hair upside down, thrown some Argan Oil in it, trying not to touch too much.
    4. Using a hair diffuser, diffuse my hair, upsidedown, for 3-7 minutes. When 1/2 dry throw a tinnnny bit of hairspray. Finish diffusing. DONT dry all the way, leave a little to air dry.

Pretty hair! That isnt crunchy.

This sounds like a lot.. but I can shower and dry hair in less than 30 minutes.

Edit; I used to dye my hair monthly, and straighten without product EVERY day for atleast 2 years.... It took 6 months of TLC to get my hair healthy and curling again.

This is pretty much my routine also minus the hair spray.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have heard jojoba oil works. I use anti-frizz serum by John Freida. A friend of mine, whose daughter is in Iraq, has curly hair and swears by jojoba.
  • crush86
    crush86 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Sexy Hair has a Curly Sexy line and it is amazing! I am a hair dresser and use this product myself when I wear my hair curly. I love it!
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have extremely thick, curly hair. My hairdresser does too, so it's a plus. We were just discussing techniques and what's easiest to get thru the day. I highly recommend trying this:

Never brush, only wide-tooth comb
    apply smoothing serum/anti-frizz stuff to towel-dried hair
    alcohol-free mousse or gel throughout
    lightly dry roots if you have to, otherwise let air-dry
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Kerastase make excellent products, they are not cheap but are really good.

Embrace your curls :-)
  • irisgigiperez
    Options
    Garnier is the best stuff out there, and I've tried it all. I have one of the curliest heads of hair out there, so believe me, I know! I use the Curl Sculpting Cream Gel. Results - soft, bouncy curls!
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I mostly avoid sulfates but do an occasional sulfate shampoo. I avoid silicones too. They just build up on my hair and weigh it down. I like cleansing conditioners, curl creams and a medium to hard hold gel on top.

Use lots of conditioner. Curly hair is often very dry. Dry hair is frizzy.

My favorite products are by Curl Junkie which is available online. For more inexpensive drug store products check out Tresemme, Garnier or Aussie.

Sally's Hair One is a great cleansing conditioner that was mentioned (much less inexpensive version of Wen) I also love a pea size drop of AG re:coil to really add oomph to my curls although it could be a bit drying if used everyday.

For gel I like LA Looks sport (blue) inexpensive and does the job. I let my hair dry naturally or gently diffuse. Don't handle your hair too much as it it is drying or it will frizz. Let it dry completely then gently scrunch out any slight crunchiness.

Check out naturallycurly.com....not everything works on every curly head but I learned a lot of invaluable tips there.
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Short and curly here...

I am not picky about the shampoo, but always get in a good curly hair style conditioner and let it air dry after applying TiGi bed head creative genius gel. It defines the curl, but doesn't get crunchy.