Pale Skin - Is it really that bad?

Options

Replies

• Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I greatly prefer pale skin. The paler, the better. My wife is super pale and I love it.

Personally I see women tanning and I'm like "WHY ARE YOU RUINING YOUR LOOKS!??!"

Aw. I was born this brown. I can't help it ! :sad:
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I am pale and my mother is Italian .. but my daddy is French and Irish ..I am pale with reddish brown hair. :drinker:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    There was one girl in my highschool I had a huge crush on. She was crazy pale, blonde, tall, etc.

After one summer break, she came back to school with a heavy tan. I must say, she looked disgusting with the tan. It didn't match her eyes or hair at all. It looked so unnatural.

I don't get why girls want to have such dark, tanned skin. They look better pale (unless they're naturally darker).
  • b_fit4life
    b_fit4life Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Nope, there's nothing wrong with being pale! I used to tan as often as I could because I thought a tan made me look more "fit". I nearly never wore sun block and figured it was OK because I would get red and then the burn would fade to tan. I rarely even peeled. However I'm a -bit- older and wiser now and have decided whole heartedly that, while I still love the warmth of the sun on my skin, it's not worth exposing myself to it's harmful UV rays. I'd rather live a full life as a pale white girl who flushes red a lot, than bake in the sun or tanning bed and risk many forms of skin cancer that could prematurely end my life. So now I have a niece who thinks she needs to be tan...the cycle never ends!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm a brunette with pale skin. My dermatologist looked at me with a "that's kind of strange" look in her eyes and told me "you really have the complexion of a red-head". I hated it when I was younger, but I'm all good with it now. I DOregret not being more knowledgable/regular in my use of sunscreen. When I was a kid, though, it wasn't really something anyone thought about one way or the other. Now, I have emerging sun spots... which are definitely not "cute" like freckles might be. :(
  • RedRunner82
    Options
    Pale freckled redhead here! French, Irish, German, and Swiss descent. I've never successfully been "tan", even when lifeguarding for five summers; I just get less white. My (white-as-a-ghost, black-haired) father had a basal cell carcinoma removed from his hairline a few years back so I'm trying to be even more diligent with the sunscreen and hats. Tricky thing with skin cancer is that it shows up 20+ years down the line, so there are no immediate negative consequences to too much sun exposure. If a friend says they're going tanning, I warn them one time that it's dumb/irresponsible/a waste of money/basically like smoking cigarettes/etc. but I try not to harp on them too much. If they don't know all that already, they've got bigger problems!

One big plus: my husband is color blind so he appreciates the contrast between my hair and my skin, even though he can't tell my hair is red!
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    You know that movie star from True Blood: Deborah Ann Woll. She is pale and very beautiful. I tried to post her pic but was not able to.
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I'm irish and very pale but i don't see anything wrong with it. You wouldn't catch me using a sunbed or anything.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Pale red heads unite!!

Amen :) Add my freckles to that and there you have it :)
    Plus I look at it like this... My non tan skin will be nice and smooth when I'm older rather than rough and leathery.. :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have fair skin, but live in Florida. I LOVE my tan! I work to make sure it gets nice and bronzed in the summer. I'm also 48 years old, and don't look wrinkly at all. To each his own, I always say!
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bah, I've been called all kinds if names for being pale growing up, one guy even telling me "the sun's free, you know" -- I just don't tan, I burn (sometimes through my clothing & if out long enough without sunscreen, blister). Let haters hate, I'd rather not needlessly expose myself to something that can kill me in order for some shallow jackhole to accept me.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    "You should have asked me if I wanted freckles. Freckles, long eyelashes, dimpled cheeks, curly hair- are the things that make you like no one else in the whole wide world. Even if you could trade them in on something else, you wouldn't look like yourself anymore. And being yourself is the greatest way to say thanks God, for making me."
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i'm dark and think that pale skin is beautiful .... so glad you like your skin...sometimes i wish people would hush up....
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thank you for speaking up on this! My whole life I've had "Oh... you're so pale" "You look like a ghost" "Why do you put sunscreen on, you wont tan that way" etc etc

I hate it, I honestly love being pale. It's a bit unique and it's beautiful.

OMG my family says that. "Why do you put sunscreen on, you won't tan.". My sisters and mother have olive skin that doesn't burn at all. I got my dad's. Just because you don't burn doesn't mean you don't need sunscreen!
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I am a strawberry blonde with blue eyes. I feel pale all the time- but really nothing can be done about it. I do not tan-only burn and we all know how unhealthy that is.
    We are all unique....and some of us just are challenged in the Melanin department.....
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    im tan, and like being tan...but I think pale is very beautiful and think that it takes a truly gorgeous person to pull of pale. and its way better for your skin.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I think all skin types are beautiful, if you have healthy skin. I don't think fake tans are attractive tho, they just look sad really. I'm a pretty pale Latina, and my partner is also pale. There is nothing wrong with it. The people that tell you that are silly. Don't let them get you down. Different people, like different things. Don't let them tell you that you should become their standard of beauty. Like all people should change to suit their preferences. How offensive.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm so pale I practically glow in the dark! I'm Irish and French. It is what it is. I do not try to tan. It's no good for you. I occasionally "fake and bake" if I want to look a bit tan, but that's only if I have to wear a fancy dress or something....
  • teacupowl
    teacupowl Posts: 104
    Options
    My grandmother was a redhead, and I inherited her skin. Any sun I get just turns into tiny little freckles. It's funny since both my mom and dad tan like crazy. Like walk to the mailbox, and boom! Instant golden glow.

It used to bother me like crazy in school. But kids are just cruel, right? I've since gotten over it and love my paleness. I don't hesitant to wear any color, and I actually find it hard to find a color that washes me out. (except red - hate red!) I have super light blonde hair and blue eyes, with a kind of peachy undertone to my skin. I love it now, and could care less about being tan. I'd much rather keep my youthful looks and be skin-cancer free.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, frequently goes outside to do yard work without sunscreen. He gets pretty dark during the summer, which looks good on him, but it makes me worry. No amount of nagging seems to work either. :(
  • CoriGayle
    CoriGayle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've always been made of for being pale, too. I hate it, but always put on a smile and pretend it doesn't bother me. My husband is spanish, and his family loves to make fun of my very white skin. Skin cancer runs in my family as well, so I don't even try to tan at all. I put 100 spf sun lotion on when I'm in the sun because I know if I don't, I will burn within a matter of minutes, and skin cancer is just NOT an option for me. I also have to buy the palest shades of makeup, which still look too dark for my skin sometimes :( Thanks for posting on behalf of all of pale people. I don't understand why it's so fun to make fun of us...