Annoying statements made about area of residence

Options

Replies

• shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Facts about Australia:
    Yes, we do ride to school\work\The Great Barrier Reef on kangaroos.
    Yes, Koala 'bears' WILL kill you if they fall on you out of a tree.
    Yes, 93% of the wildlife and a large proportion of the flora here, is out to get you.
    And according to recent judgements, a dingo DID take her baby.

And we do have ginormous spiders but to be fair, I have never seen one hanging out in my backyard. Just your generic huntsmans and daddy long legs. According to memes I've seen, apparently we all have these massive bird eating spiders that are just waiting to get you :huh:

We also are full of dumbasses, with the amount of drug dealers going to Indonesia over the past ten yrs.
  • shellebelle87
    Options
    I'm a New Zealander living in New York. I always get "oh your from NZ? Its like Australia right?"
    We feel the same about Australians as Americans feel about Canadians so stop comparing us!!

Dont all you Kiwi's have relations with your sheep though?

Man that one would annoy me. Fortunately, I'm over in Australia :)
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    There's more than corn in Indiana....

Yep.... there is soy beams also :laugh:
  • Geyser_Mountain_Dreamer
    Options
    People refer to the part of Indiana I am from as either the "Armpit of Indiana" or "The Region" and the people who are from this area are affectionately referred to as "Region Rejects".
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of fun reading these posts.

I found it extremely educational.

I love the mixture. Wherever we are, it could be worse; let's count our blessings :flowerforyou:

Born in Manhattan (NY)
    Raised in Brooklyn (NY)
    Worked in the World Trade Center (1973-1975)
    Lived in New Haven (CT), Junction City (KS), Rantoul (IL), Omaha (NE), Moose Creek (AK)
    Stationed at McGuire AFB, Offutt AFB & Eielson AFB
    Resides in Idaho Falls (ID)
    Favorite Place: Puerto Rico (1972 & 1978)
    Plans to move/retire - Page (AZ)
    Would love to visit: Southern Portugal
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options

And we do have ginormous spiders but to be fair, I have never seen one hanging out in my backyard. Just your generic huntsmans and daddy long legs. According to memes I've seen, apparently we all have these massive bird eating spiders that are just waiting to get you :huh:

We also are full of dumbasses, with the amount of drug dealers going to Indonesia over the past ten yrs.

You evidently have never lived in QLD... When i lived in Brisbane, I was constantly freaked out by the massive numbers of Giant Orb Weaver spiders everywhere... Telephone poles, Trees, houses...

And admittedly I also saw a lot of snakes growing up...
  • skpstone
    skpstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Pretty sure they say exactly the same thing about us...
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    People refer to the part of Indiana I am from as either the "Armpit of Indiana" or "The Region" and the people who are from this area are affectionately referred to as "Region Rejects".

What part of IN are you from? I am central IN
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I am from Tennessee and yes, we do have brains, we do wear shoes, and no, I didn't marry my cousin.

Ditto, and more so, for Alabama. Not from here originally and may have had those assumptions myself once but now it just sounds ignorant.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am from Idaho. No, I don't own a potato farm and I've never seen a potato farm. No, you are not "da pimp" and you never will be.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jersey girl gone South Florida girl.

"You live in Florida? Isn't it deadly hot down there!?"
    Umm... not really. NJ has more 100 degree days then we do down here!!

Also
    "You live in Boca Raton? Does that mean you're a stuck up rich Jew?"
    Ughhh.

Of course I love asking people in Boca if they're from NJ or NY (or their parents were) since the answer 98% is YES!
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Being from Florida I get asked if I go to Disney World or any Orlando theme park a lot. I wish! But regardless of season passes, it's crazyy expensive.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a Jersey girl gone South Florida girl.

"You live in Florida? Isn't it deadly hot down there!?"
    Umm... not really. NJ has more 100 degree days then we do down here!!

Also
    "You live in Boca Raton? Does that mean you're a stuck up rich Jew?"
    Ughhh.

Of course I love asking people in Boca if they're from NJ or NY (or their parents were) since the answer 98% is YES!

Oh Boca! A place I love to hate.

I live there part time for school.
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    The UK isn't a country :-)

Your former PM's website described the UK as four "countries within a country": http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page823

If it's not a country, what would you call it?

Its a kingdom, they try and sell it as one country to try and stop separate parliaments springing up- except wales and scotland have their own now anyway. Not that I talk a word of politics :-) its actually really tricky; did you know there is a difference between Great Britain and the UK too? :-) (I couldnt tell you but I know its something about various islands being included too- and I live here! :-)

All depends on your definition of "country.". Most of the time people use it to refer to sovereign states -- I.e., those things that are represented in the UN and the EU. In that sense, the UK is indeed a "country."
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am from Maryland,and I hate when people pronounce it "Merrrrrland" or refer to Washington, DC as "Warshington" There is NO R!!!! and I am sorry saying "Mar-y-land" is one extra syllabul (sp?) than "Merrrr-land"

Haha, my sister lives in MD and we call it The People's Republic of Maryland, did you no that you have less rights than people in any other state?

I'm from PA, everyone assumes I live in Philly or Pittsburgh.

We do however hate Jersey and I have friends who are part of a movement to blow up Jersey to get Pennsylvania a beach, Jersey Shore has done wonders to draw people into the cause.

I also get a lot of people assuming I'm Amish/live without electricity. I'm not Amish and we do have electricity and indoor plumbing. No lie. People think Lancaster county is *entirely* Amish.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Oh you're from Iowa...do you have a lot of corn there? Or the "are you a farmer?"
  • shellebelle87
    Options

You evidently have never lived in QLD... When i lived in Brisbane, I was constantly freaked out by the massive numbers of Giant Orb Weaver spiders everywhere... Telephone poles, Trees, houses...

And admittedly I also saw a lot of snakes growing up...

I've lived in QLD for 20 yrs...in Brisbane...I've seen big spiders but no bird eating ones.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    "they don't call it hotlanta for nothin'"

First of all, I don't call it "hotlanta" ever
    Second, aww nevermind

JUST StOP sAYING It!

Um, it is hotalanta because it's hot and disgusting here pretty much all summer long. You can also call it 'hot sweaty and sticky atlanta,' if that sounds better. :smile:

I'm from the SW and exiled to Atlanta for the time being--bring on the freakin' dry heat any day of the week!
  • MDawg81
    MDawg81 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    You live in Atlanta? Where in Atlanta? I live in cumming. By the lake

Idk which one of us you were referring to, but I'm in Smyrna.
  • shellebelle87
    Options

Pretty sure they say exactly the same thing about us...

I'm pretty sure the sheep sex thing is for Kiwis, not Aussies