Diet soda

Options
2»

Replies

• Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the science that claims it stifles progress.
    That jury is deliberating.
    As for me, I gave up soda - both sugar and diet.
    To me it's like drinking water from a polluted lake. I don't feel right drinking diet soda.
    Can't explain it.
    Don't care.
    I'll never drink one again and prefer iced lemon water or fresh green tea.
  • bridgettegarzonie
    bridgettegarzonie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I know it is very high in sodium, which will make you retain water. I use to be addicted to diet pop (6 cans or so a day!) and it was mostly for the caffeine. When I started trying to lose weight, I switched to Crystal Light (ones with caffeine) and it has helped a TON. Plus....not nearly half the sodium and I can get my water in as well :)

EXACTLY.. you will retain lots of water.. and per my daughters cardiologist, diet soda will also dehydrate you... she said for the heart.. regular soda is better because you arent putting a man made substance into your body...

If you need caffeine, try diet green tea! It has TONS of good qualities, without the calories and the aspertaine!

last i checked even regular soda is "man made" and in any case, being "man made" isn't inherently bad.

She's saying the sugar being non-natural and man made. Sucrose/glucose are natural products not made by man
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I know it is very high in sodium, which will make you retain water. I use to be addicted to diet pop (6 cans or so a day!) and it was mostly for the caffeine. When I started trying to lose weight, I switched to Crystal Light (ones with caffeine) and it has helped a TON. Plus....not nearly half the sodium and I can get my water in as well :)

EXACTLY.. you will retain lots of water.. and per my daughters cardiologist, diet soda will also dehydrate you... she said for the heart.. regular soda is better because you arent putting a man made substance into your body...

If you need caffeine, try diet green tea! It has TONS of good qualities, without the calories and the aspertaine!

you won't retain much, if any, water because of a can of diet soda. in any case, any retained water? that's not weight loss. drink lots of water -- we get rid of 90 percent of our excess sodium through urination -- and you'll get rid of any overage on sodium, meaning you'll dump that water weight, too. work out, then, also. 1-2 percent lost through sweat.

and drinking water out of the ocean? yeah. that will dehydrate you. drinking something with 40mg of sodium? not so much. that's pretty much dr. oz style crazy talk right there.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    The artificial sweetners in sodas are being linked to lots of diseases and other issues. Some call it worse for you than regular sodas because of the sweetners. If you can, I wouldn't drink it. I don't drink sodas very often but when I do, it's a full blown regular soda.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/artificial-sweeteners

they are linked to cancer in animals -- when ingested in massive amounts.

know what happens if you drink too much water, per chance?
  • jbiancad
    jbiancad Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda all the time and it has never stopped me from losing weight. In fact once I started counting calories I stopped drinking anything that has calories for the most part
  • akaOtherWise
    akaOtherWise Posts: 110 Member
    Options

If you are still drinking enough water each day on top of your diet soda instead of replacing your water intake with diet soda, dehydration won't be an issue. There is nothing that proves a little aspartame each day will cause negative effects on your health.

The acceptable daily intake (ADI) value for aspartame, as well as other food additives studied, is defined as the "amount of a food additive, expressed on a body weight basis, that can be ingested daily over a lifetime without appreciable health risk." The Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) and the European Commission's Scientific Committee on Food has determined this value is 40 mg/kg of body weight for aspartame, while FDA has set its ADI for aspartame at 50 mg/kg.

A 12 US fluid ounce (355 ml) can of diet soda contains 180 milligrams (0.0063 oz) of aspartame, and for a 75 kg (165 lb) adult, it takes approximately 21 cans of diet soda daily to consume the 3,750 milligrams (0.132 oz) of aspartame that would surpass the FDA's 50 milligrams per kilogram of body weight ADI of aspartame from diet soda alone.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Will drinking any types of diet soda inhibit you from losing weight? I know it has no calories, but not good for you. answers? :)

No, too many calories inhibit weight loss.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

doesn't seem like a reputable source to me.

in reference to cancer and artificial sweeteners...

Questions about artificial sweeteners and cancer arose when early studies showed that cyclamate in combination with saccharin caused bladder cancer in laboratory animals. However, results from subsequent carcinogenicity studies (studies that examine whether a substance can cause cancer) of these sweeteners have not provided clear evidence of an association with cancer in humans. Similarly, studies of other FDA-approved sweeteners have not demonstrated clear evidence of an association with cancer in humans.

What have studies shown about a possible association between specific artificial sweeteners and cancer?

Saccharin

Studies in laboratory rats during the early 1970s linked saccharin with the development of bladder cancer. For this reason, Congress mandated that further studies of saccharin be performed and required that all food containing saccharin bear the following warning label: “Use of this product may be hazardous to your health. This product contains saccharin, which has been determined to cause cancer in laboratory animals.”

Subsequent studies in rats showed an increased incidence of urinary bladder cancer at high doses of saccharin, especially in male rats. However, mechanistic studies (studies that examine how a substance works in the body) have shown that these results apply only to rats. Human epidemiology studies (studies of patterns, causes, and control of diseases in groups of people) have shown no consistent evidence that saccharin is associated with bladder cancer incidence.

Because the bladder tumors seen in rats are due to a mechanism not relevant to humans and because there is no clear evidence that saccharin causes cancer in humans, saccharin was delisted in 2000 from the U.S. National Toxicology Program’s Report on Carcinogens, where it had been listed since 1981 as a substance reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen (a substance known to cause cancer). More information about the delisting of saccharin is available at http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/roc/eleventh/append/appb.pdf on the Internet. The delisting led to legislation, which was signed into law on December 21, 2000, repealing the warning label requirement for products containing saccharin.

• splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hey, if this was mentioned, sorry. I'm tired and didn't read past answers. BUT, have you tried Zevia? It's all natural. Made with stevia. No artificial sugar, dyes... No calories. And I like it. I have tried the grape and rootbeer. I like the grape best. I'll try cola and maybe orange next week.You can get them at Publix about 5.00 bucks a 6 pack.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Sodium isn't high and when did regular soda stop being manufactured and grow on trees?
    There isn't any scientific evidence to show that having a couple of cans a day is going to bedridden you, make you retains TONS of fluid, etc. Some may have adverse effects from it, but the general population should be fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The artificial sweetners in sodas are being linked to lots of diseases and other issues. Some call it worse for you than regular sodas because of the sweetners. If you can, I wouldn't drink it. I don't drink sodas very often but when I do, it's a full blown regular soda.

From the article:

However, results from subsequent carcinogenicity studies (studies that examine whether a substance can cause cancer) of these sweeteners have not provided clear evidence of an association with cancer in humans. Similarly, studies of other FDA-approved sweeteners have not demonstrated clear evidence of an association with cancer in humans.

However, an analysis of then-current NCI statistics showed that the overall incidence of brain and central nervous system cancers began to rise in 1973, 8 years prior to the approval of aspartame, and continued to rise until 1985. Moreover, increases in overall brain cancer incidence occurred primarily in people age 70 and older, a group that was not exposed to the highest doses of aspartame since its introduction. These data do not establish a clear link between the consumption of aspartame and the development of brain tumors.

Full blown sodas are a cause for higher calorie intake and promotes tooth decay.

Sometimes reading the whole article helps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    She's saying the sugar being non-natural and man made. Sucrose/glucose are natural products not made by man
    Most regular sodas have corn syrup and HFCS. Don't see how that's not processed. And there's a C&H pure cane sugar plant not too far from where I live. I'm more than sure they actually process sugar there.

IDEA Fitness member
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    it can make people stall, but it is delicious and there is no reason to give it up. drink plenty of water too!

everything is bad for you, everything is going to kill you. /eyeroll

things go through cycles.

remember when everyone was worried about eggs? and fat? and OMG nuts are bad!
    well no, they're not, and neither is diet soda =]
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Articles aren't evidence. They are opinions.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I quit and I found that I lose weight much easier.
    Now I cant figure out why I drank it in the first place, taste really bad.

25043520.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I quit and I found that I lose weight much easier.
    Now I cant figure out why I drank it in the first place, taste really bad.

25043520.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS
    I feel exactly this. Again, when people try to get definitive, the dots just can't be connected.
    Not yet.
    But I know my body, and I'd sooner drink pig urine than a diet soda.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    sitting here with my bottle of pepsi max - no calories or sodium. I've been drinking it on and off and still losing weight.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I would more worry about the aspartame in it... worst sugar supplement ever...