outside runners, morning or night and why?

Options
124»

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Morning before family gets up. In addition to leaving the rest of the day flexible, in the summer it's almost when I have to run. Even spring and fall temps are often in the ideal 40-60 range pre-dawn. Winter is the only challenging time, but once I get going 20s-30s are more comfortable than you would think.

Only time morning is really a problem is if kids (bad) or wife (good) keep me up late.
  • melissa10666
    Options
    i run during the afternoon or evening. i really wish i had the willpower to get myself up in the morning and go for a run but i just can't seem to be able to do it haha
  • arnoldp6
    arnoldp6 Posts: 31
    Options
    Morning! Lowers my blood pressure before a stressful day at work. It's been really easy to get up and go in the morning now that the sun's out early, too. Plus like others, I prefer to run on an empty stomach (it's also when your insulin levels are lowest which is supposed to be very beneficial for weight loss) Good luck!
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Mornings, because this right here is worth getting up that early.

IMAG0328.jpg

Awesome, I'm soo excited to go in the morning tomorrow!!
  • DisputedEnds
    Options
    Night,Because its more peaceful i usually run on a trail or around the lake what ever works best!
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have been doing mornin lately.
    1. cooler weather
    2. i love starting the day and being active
    3. helps me make better choices all day long
  • jaygregz
    jaygregz Posts: 104
    Options
    Night.. I love the fear of possibly being maced as I pass old ladies on the track. LOL

Seriously though, nights are awesome for me. It cools down around 7 o'clock here but it's still warm enough for you to get a real good sweat in. I also enjoy watching the sun go down more than watching the sun come up for whatever reason.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    I run at 5am to beat the heat, I also can't run if I've eaten so the mornings are best for me!
  • sebastiana29
    Options
    morning, even in the winter when i had to get up at 5 am and run in the winter snow... but mostly because i can't sleep if i work out late at night. but the best, if you can manage it, is afternoon - a quick run before lunch is perfect in my book! bottom line - do whatever works for your schedule and gets you in the habit. happy trails!
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I run in the middle of the afternoon because I'm dumb. I try to always bring a bottle of icy water with me and keep ice water right inside my door and then more water in my fridge and freezer when it's really that hot.
    I would prefer to run in the early morning, but I can't get myself up early enough to do it.
    I also like running in the evening, because that's when it starts cooling down again, but I always mis-time things and then end up running in the dark, which I am not comfortable with or else I have to work.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning - usually 6.30 or so on work days though that's hard at the moment because it's dark and cold and damp so I've been going a little later, around 7am when the sky is starting to get light.
    In summer, it's lovely in the mornings, I go as early as I can while it's still cool.

On weekends I go a bit later, though I try to get out the door by 8 or so, then it doesn't take up too much of my day.

I know that if I don't exercise first thing, it's probably not going to happen. And running in the morning wakes me up an makes me feel good for the day ahead.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Right now, morning because of the heat!! I usually do all my workouts in the morning or they tend to not happen - but when I started running last winter, I would wait until mid-morning to avoid the coldest part of the morning. :tongue: But either way, cold or heat, I'd rather run in the morning - too busy later in the day, and less likely to happen if I wait.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    Morning for me too. Alot of the same reasons of others. If it doesn't get done in the morning it won't get done.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm also a morning-er. My fiance gets up early for work so instead of laying in bed alone for another 45 mins (give or take) when I'm already awake I get up and get it done. I'm usually out there by 6:15 at the latest. I've come to love how it calms me and gets me ready for the day. I also think morning is better because it's cooler and there's hardly any traffic. There's usually other polite and happy runner/walkers in the morning, while in the afternoon they seem to be rude teenagers on the streets. Plus I'm exhausted after work and it's nice to know that my workout is already done :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I love dawn runs. I have more energy and it's cooler.