Please advise how many calories

Options
2»

Replies

• knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    First, 11lbs in 3 months is a good loss, so don't get too discouraged!

I also peeked at your diary briefly, and like some people have said, low carb diets aren't for everyone, but you're going significantly over your recommended carbs everyday and MFP sets it automically at 55% of your daily intake to be carbs. I would say focus more on hitting your macros (I usually don't worry too much if I'm over fiber) and see if a different ratio of carbs/fat/protein works for you. MFP sets it automatically to 55/30/15, which I found didn't work for me, but it does work for some people. I'm trying a lower carb approach now (still not low carb, aiming for around 100g a day intake) so I have mine set to 30/30/40, but a lot of people do 40/30/30. Focus a lot more on what you're putting your body and I would say less on calories for the moment, I was only counting calories for a while and not really seeing any change, now that I'm focusing more on what I'm putting in my body, I realize I can get A LOT more food for a lot less calories when its healthy and nutritious (for example I had a HUUUUGGGGEEE salad for lunch yesterday that consisted of a spinach base, a ton of veggies, chicken, and hummus for around 350 calories and it filled me up for the whole day).I'm also more energized and feel more alert and require less caffiene at work now that I'm putting fresher and less processed foods in my body.

Don't get discouraged and keep at it, 11lbs in 3 months is still awesome progress.
  • wyomingmama
    wyomingmama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was only losing a pound per week. But I reallly want to lose 2 pounds! I had to eat under what MFP recommended! If you go to MY HOME and then his GOALS you will see your calorie deficit. -500 per day is one pound lost per week. -1000 per day is two pounds per week. Check it out so you know! I did and was only losing 1.3 lbs per week! Well that was the hold up! Now I am eating enough to lose 2 pounds! Yay!
    Good Luck!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    so do i set my cals at 2140 but net make sure the net is 1550 and do i enter exercise i do can you give me an example autumn921
    thanks x

Sending you a pm to get more info but for now...You want to set your calories on MFP at 1819 and make sure that you NET above 1557...The 2140 is to maintain the weight you are at right now which I am assuming is not what you are wanting to do....I will explain more in the pm... :)
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more!

:drinker:
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Ok, im no expert on anything. But Im right there with you. Im 5'3 and a half and i weigh 182 at the moment. I lowered my calories to 1200 and only eat my exercise calories back if I need to. I have lost 35 pounds in the last 4 months or so. By doing it this way. ANd I drink tons of water and green tea. Good luck!!! If you need some motivational friends add me!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    so do i set my cals at 2140 but net make sure the net is 1550 and do i enter exercise i do can you give me an example autumn921
    thanks x

Sending you a pm to get more info but for now...You want to set your calories on MFP at 1819 and make sure that you NET above 1557...The 2140 is to maintain the weight you are at right now which I am assuming is not what you are wanting to do....I will explain more in the pm... :)

You don't have to worry about net calories if you include exercise as part of the TDEE. You will make up for going under your net on the days you do NOT workout. That is the benefit of including exercise into your TDEE.

Now, to the OP, I would suggest reducing your carbs to 35%, increase protein to 40% and having fat at 25%. This seems to be a good ratio to help weight loss (from my personal experience). I also, try to get the majority of my carbs from fruit and veggies and not so much from pasta, breads or grains (person preference). This way I am also ensuring I am getting enough fiber. Additionally, higher protein diets can help prevent your body from losing lean body mass (everything that isn't fat, so muscle, tissue, bones, etc..).

Where you will see bigger strides in overall health and fat loss is if you start weight training. Too much cardio will hurt your long term performance as you will be more prone to muscle loss. When you go to the gym, you should spend the hour weight training the 3 days you go and use walking as your cardio. ST is much more effective for fat loss. Also, go heavy where you fail around 8-12 reps. High rep low weight is only good for muscle endurance and not as good for cutting fat as low rep high weight. Also, you are doing good for weight loss. You didn't gain weight that fast, you can't expect it to come off. But if you work to increase fat loss, you will have a lot more NSV (non scale victories) such as a tighter waistline, etc..