Keeping weight loss a secret?

Options

Replies

• jpoulsen2
    jpoulsen2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have been working on it since January and everyone pretty much knows except I refuse to tell my mom. I know no matter what she will find a way to try to derail my success and will become competitive and aggressive. She is coming from the midwest to the east coast to see me in August so I am bracing myself and trying to not let it play head games with me! Not looking forward tot his "reveal" at all...
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Until yesterday, I kept most of my weight loss a secret from everybody. I also kept my weight GAIN a secret too. I think it's nobody's business but my own, so I have no obligation to tell them.
  • seasicksquid
    seasicksquid Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I told everyone what I'm doing, posted on Facebook, the whole 9 yards. It keeps me more accountable, just like being here on MFP. My SO is super supportive, my parents are super supportive, my friends are mostly supportive...I've got support, accountability, and a plan. I think that's what's making me successful this time.
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my weight loss talk on this website and with my husband...I don't want any advice from people are are thin but not "healthy" if that makes sense and they all have tons of advice:)
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    havent told anyone, but after 30 lbs everyone was asking. i lost it from feb to now, but people only started commenting on it this month when i started doing a toning beach body program. i only tell them if they ask though :] its my business, not theirs. simple as that. i dont need anyone holding me acountable, this is for me, and i dont need anyone telling me to do things differently. obviously its working for me :]
  • tappleton17
    tappleton17 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    only a select few know but thats because i do not feel like hearing everyones input and what diet pills to take or herbal remedies. I dont need all that stuff. Do not really need diet advice from someone that wears a size zero and if she hits a size 2 shes like OMG I AM FAT! yea just stfu with it lol
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have really only told my boyfriend (whom I live with) that I'm trying to lose. He totally understands and helps because he lost 70 lbs in the last year. It is great to have someone to help. I can't imagine doing it with a family to take care of and being the only one watching their weight!
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much keeping it to myself this time too, apart from on MFP, because only on MFP is it okay for me to constantly talk about what I eat ;). I'm not sure it's helpful so much as a defense mechanism. I've taken the advice to tell everyone to keep myself accountable advice in the past, and then I failed, and this has happened a couple of times... so not only do my friends/family not really want to hear about it, but I feel like I'd rather show them than tell them. My husband is aware that I'm doing it, but pretty much no one else is.
  • CeeJourney
    CeeJourney Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Everybody just thinks I'm trying to get rid of the "freshman 15" i gained three ago years after starting college.. LITTLE DO THEY KNOW.. it's more like "LIFETIME 100" im in it to lose over my 21 years of living!!!

I agree with the others.. everybody does not need to know BUT it helps to have a couple of motivating people in your corner! THAT'S WHY I JOINED MFP !
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said that when we tell everyone that we are dieting, it does something to our brain to make us feel as if we have done it. Kind of like a pay off, even if we have not lost a pound. And therefore, it makes us less inclined to stick with the diet. But then, I read another article that said, we should tell people when we are dieting because they will hold us accountable and we will feel more inclined to try harder. I have done both and neither worked. I think that when you are ready to make a change, you will do it. And it sounds as if you have.

For me, it is not a secret, but I don't really talk about it either. I just keep on trying to make small lifestyle changes that I can keep on doing for the rest of my life. And every time I mess up, ( which happens all the time) I just start again. So far, so good. This is the first time that I have recorded what I eat daily and kept track of my exercise. It has helped me tremendously.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i am also keeping it a secret. I figured it's not a ton that i needed to lose, about 20 lbs so why bother. wait and see if anyone notices it as they all noticed when i was putting on the weight! * sigh*.. i figure i didn't want to hear opinion about it or why, you are small already, etc. i got one day from my inlaws that i was tiny.. i was far from tiny i was overweight for my height of 5ft 2 inches... but to them i was still small... so why bother tell anyone. the only one that knew was my hubby of course as he would know why i am cooking certain things and i weigh all my portions out, etc and my mom. my mom was all for it as she seen i was putting on the weight and i was now over weight for my height...as she's the same height. I have now lost 15 lbs and no one still knows... no one has made any comments, except why i didn't put mayo on my sub, " what are you on a diet"...... i said i'm just trying to make healthier choices, that's all... so we will see if anyone says anything to me once i hit my 20 lb loss... as how can you not notice someone go down 3 sizes????
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I was keeping it from everyone for almost 2 weeks, I just told my mom yesterday, and hours later she brought over cookies and cake... sigh.

My husband does the same thing. Sigh. There's also the judgement: "Oh, you're on a diet?" *eyes item I'm eating that they think I shouldn't*

Conversely, it's also really uncomfortable having other people try to accommodate me. It really is just easier to keep it to myself.
  • sbfreak17
    sbfreak17 Posts: 42
    Options
    It's impossible to keep it a "secret" for long if you're truly dedicated to getting healthy because the physical changes are going to come! Granted, you may not broadcast that you're making lifestyle changes but ultimately, people will notice. I didn't necessarily broadcast it but I didn't "hide" it either...I just made up my mind to do it. I included a few close friends on my decision to really go for it but other than that, it was about me & what I wanted. At this point, people notice so it's hard not to talk about it. Of course, one thing I do avoid is use of the word "dieting" because, to me, this isn't a DIET...I'm on a journey to get healthy which requires lifestyle changes...not fad-"dieting". Some people get it...some people don't :)) Regardless, I think you'll ultimately get some motivation once other people start to see results. The "You look great!" or "Oh my! What are you doing?" comments will drive you to push harder...at least that's what they do for me...
  • isis2triple0
    isis2triple0 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I didn't tell anyone except my Mother of course I also have done that in the past and realized people were happy to see me fail so this time I decided to just let the results tell it for me!! At first I got comments like are you loosing weight? Now I have lost so much weight, that those same people( which I'm now currently smaller then) are asking me what I'm doing to loose it!! Aaaaah what a great feeling I tell you!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I kept my efforts a secret. Everyone saw the changes, but i wasnt saying anything about how. Cause it was my life I was changing and none of their business. that was how I knew i was serious. It wasnt until I proved to myself that i was staying with it this time that I started to open up.

Its when you actually realise how precious you are to yourself, and how protective you are of your beginning steps... that you know youve got it and finally understand what it takes.

Thats when you know youve woken up and are ready to live. When its precious to you.
  • kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I only told select people like my mom, boyfriend, and my best friend.however a few random people have commented that I look smaller, but they don't know I am actively trying. I am not comfortable with anyone else knowing I am trying because it is a long process and I don't need them on my back constantly. Especially since all my friends are all really thin and won't understand the moderation of unhealthy foods rarely because they can eat everything and not gain weight.I am doing this to better myself so I don't feel like telling anyone or having them know.
  • andcowsfly
    andcowsfly Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hate telling people and then they respond by telling me how I don't need to or to "look at [me], need to lose weight! Not [you]!" People react strangely and I do better keeping things private myself.
  • JasmineRose14
    JasmineRose14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my weight loss talk on this website and with my husband...I don't want any advice from people are are thin but not "healthy" if that makes sense and they all have tons of advice:)

My thoughts EXACTLY...I out-weigh everyone giving me health tips, but I can also out run them in a marathon or out lift them at the gym... I hate thin-unhealthy people's tips...
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I kept it a secret as long as I could cuz I didn't want people laughing at me if I failed plus I didn't do it for attention or to talk about anyway. Now though people have noticed I lost weight and ask me about and it turns out its good I never talked to them about it cuz they come at me with stuff like' oh when I wana drop weight I don't eat anything for like a week' :noway:
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My parents are the ones that told me about MFP so at first it was just them and my boyfriend that knew. I work in a hospital and I told a few close coworkers at first (one that helps people with gastric bypass even) and they were super supportive and ask about my progress. Well I had learned to camoflauge my tummy so most people couldn't see the weight I had gained. And with working in a hospital I have to wear scrubs which aren't all that flattering anyway so it also hid the weight.

Then i decided to tell some other people thinking "hey I'm getting some awesome support here" and they came back with "you don't need to lose any weight you look just fine!!". About that time my boyfriend started being not all that supportive because he thought I was starvin myself. After I showed him my food diary his response was "wow you are eating all that and still losing weight!?!? I had no idea! I didn't realize how healthy you were being!". Then he was supportive again after explaining to me his ex tried losing weight but would skip breakfast, eat an apple for lunch and train horses all day in the heat. Then she wouldn't eat dinner or if she did it was another apple because she was too nauseated for anything else. He was worried I was doing the same thing.

Now when I tell people what I'm doing they tell me it's dumb because nobody cares anyway. Ran into this just this last weekend. And keep in mind both people who were telling me this were overweight themselves. Not that I care if they are overweight, and I understand you have to WANT to lose weight to do it. But just because you are comfortable in your body doesn't mean I like mine so don't rain on my parade for being healthy!!!