Does Anyone Workout at Home?

Options
Hi friends! I have been on my personal health and fitness journey for the past 2 years with a pregnancy and new baby in between. Does anyone workout at home? What tips and ideas that you use to stay motivated to keep with it?

Replies

• giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do. I make myself do thirty minutes a day. Any thirty minutes, including five minute segments, but if I haven't done it by after dinner, then I do it.

I do pilates dvds or go walk/jog, but once a week, I make a date with a friend (and leave the kids with husband) to work out, so it motivates me to stay where I can keep up with her. I also make one of the walks one around the local park with the husband and I bring the kids to that one.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I just get up and do it. Don't even think about it. My workout clothes are out, and my workouts are planned at least a month in advance, so nothing to think about! I've found dvd's that I really enjoy, so I'm never bored.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i work out at home....i find i need a variety in the number of dvds i have...i get bored of the same ones all the time...so keep a collection of 20 that i juggle...

good luck....i find working out at home better...i do sometimes go mall walking as i am not working right now but in the winter i work out at home only.
  • 2_young_2B_old
    2_young_2B_old Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do! My apt complex has a tiny workout room where I use the treadmill and elliptical, but if they weren't there id just walk outsideI also have 2 35lb kettlebells that I use along with bodyweight exercises 3 times a week.
  • twynzmom
    twynzmom Posts: 172
    Options
    I workout at home by playing Wii bowling, Wii tennis, Michael Jackson Experience on the Wii, walking in place and dancing. But I recently found a place that offers Zumba near my home that I will be checking into
  • wohwy
    wohwy Posts: 22
    Options
    I workout at home. I've found that doing exercises that I enjoy such as circuit training, elliptical trainer and Zumba help me stick to it. It also helps that my exercise equipment are in my room so they're always there to me remind to workout.
  • vernessie
    vernessie Posts: 47
    Options
    I work out at home with youtube videos. I do mostly core training and Leslie Sanone Walk Away The Pounds.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, but I was able to turn a section of my garage into a small gym for my bench and other weights.. cant use it in the winter so thats when I go to the gym down the street.. "Snap Fitness".. it saves on costs for me..
  • kittyhug1986
    kittyhug1986 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I have more motivation when I work out at home than I do when I go to a gym.... mostly cause it will take me 20-25 minutes to get up and drive to the gym, exercise, and then another 20-25 minutes getting home. I work usually, get home, and jump to it. I mostly use a treadmill in front of the tv, but I also have aroebics tapes too. I do agree though that if I dont do my workout right when I get home from work then I have a hard time motivating myself after dinner....
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I workout at home because I hate the gym. I pick the same time everyday and now my body expects to get up and move at that time. I've got about 30 DVDs that I usually rotate through but for the next 8 weeks I'm doing a free online program. I can't believe how much I love this group of videos. Every day is different so I don't get bored.
  • goalll130
    goalll130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do! There are so many videos that can be found on youtube or other websites that are very easy to do at home! I am currently doing insanity but i also suggest the blogilates videos!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels!
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I workout at home about half the time. I work inside an office, so I do cardio by walking or cycling outside so I can get some fresh air and sunshine, and I have a few DVDs I like to use too. I usually do weight training in the gym though.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Me! I got a dog (I said it was for my son) to stay motivated. She has to be walked! So just about every morning, we hike 2-3 miles! I also am lucky enough to live a little over a mile from my local zoo, so the kids and I walk there.
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If I workout at home I have to follow some sort of training plan like P90X DVDs so I don't get lazy :)

I also run with my dog a few days a week.
  • mstclair03
    mstclair03 Posts: 151
    Options
    I sure do. As soon as I get off of work (or if I have the night shift, as soon as I wake up), I put on my workout clothes and get my workout video and equipment ready. That way, all I'm left to motivate myself to do is push play (which, interestingly enough, is always the hardest thing to do...)! I have a very small space, but I make it work for me.

The best part about working out at home is that you can wear scrappy old rags, or whatever you want really, and you don't have to feel self-conscious at all.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I work out at home exclusively. A few things to try:

Your local library will have DVDs

Netflix rents tons of videos (by mail). They also have a much smaller "Instant Play" selection

Wii & Kinect (XBox) ... some of their fitness games are available at Redbox

When I started, I rented videos from Netflix ... this worked out great because I can definitely figure out what I like (and don't like) without wasting a lot of money

collagevideo.com is a great resource to read reviews and watch video clips. You get information re: fitness level, impact level, what equipment is required, etc. I always check here first.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My workouts are scheduled from now until my half marathon on September 15th. Then there's no humming and hawing about what to do or when to do it.
  • shandajenkins70
    shandajenkins70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, I have four kids and am a stay home mom and cant afford or have time to go to gym. I usually work out when my baby takes a nap. I also try to change things up. Some the things I do at home are, some kind of cardio/aerobic dvd, I do a walk/jog routine around the neighborhood sometimes with kids sometimes no kids (about 3 1/2 miles) . We have an above ground pool so ill try get in there and do 45 min of water jogging. Also I looked on this site and got help from others on here and you tube on different strength training exercises. My fiances also has a cheap weight bench i just started using today , not really sure what i doing but at least i doing something other than sitting on couch. Its all i got with four ids and limited time and budget, hope this helps~Shanda
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I walk, jog, bike, strength train, do yoga, and various DVDs like Jillian Michaels. As for motivation, nothing is better than having to buy a smaller size. I don't have any quick tips, you have to find what works for you and be like Nike - Just Do It!

Remember, if you don't put forth the effort, you will never see results. You have to want those results most and more than whatever it is you want at the moment.