NSV: "Nice hair, baldie"

Options

Replies

• MontgomeryRats
    Options
    LOVE this post! You really are awesome. I love that the "worst" had happened and you kept going. I have such fears as well and I know they shouldn't stop me.

Having said that, WTH is wrong with people, yelling insults at people?! I'm astonished!

Keep it up. And yes, I think bald is sexy. :-)
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You have a great attitude! Im not even fat but if people yelled at me, I would tell them to shut the **** up and go work out. Haha.

My mom and one of my best friends love bald guys.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options

Ps my older brother always argues with his wife that he doesn't have a bald head, just a solar panel for a sex machine ;) lol

Rofl! I'm going to tell my husband that....he'll love it!
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This story is awesome. Love how you just let the haters hate while you kept on doing the right things. Mega-props to you.

^^^^ This. Keep going, man!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wish I'd been there to see! Your smile probably confused them beyond belief

Ps my older brother always argues with his wife that he doesn't have a bald head, just a solar panel for a sex machine ;) lol

I love this!! If my OH ever goes bald this is what I am gonna call it!!

And you sir are fantastic! I love your attitude and you are obviously doing a fantastic job!! Keep it up!
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Great job that you kept going anyway and didn't let it phase you. By the way, that fear of running in public? Totally had & struggled with that, I feel like it's pretty common actually.

Also...your picture cracks me up :laugh:
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Great attitude and congrats.

P.S. bald is sexy. Rock it! think Captain Picard.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Great NSV!
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    WOW Im so sorry people were such a**ses. I really can't believe it. Congrats on the NSV, you earned it!
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, I'm glad you liked the story. I remember the second night I was out I was still just walking- I bought myself a green tea as a reward for the walk back. I knew the barista and was talking about how I was trying to get healthier. I guess someone in the coffee shop overheard. As I left, a (well intentioned) woman advised me not to drink green tea because it "has like 500 calories".

Having zero experience with healthy eating at that point, I felt compelled to look into it. It took me a while to figure out that she was confusing green tea with a green tea Frappachino- but the coffee shop wasn't even a Starbucks.

I guess I have a very approachable personality, which apparently can be a double edged sword.
  • micahnelson
    Options
    They had probably just gotten through the McDonald's drive through.

I would hope so. I would hate to think I put someone out of a job. Often, I would wonder if the managers of the fast food restaurants in the area had meetings to discuss the "micahnelson situation".
  • micahnelson
    Options
    Where do you live? The peeps sound horrible.

Rhode Island. Not horrible- just ignorant. But hey, my friends are from here too. Like most places, I guess it just depends who you run into.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Lol. I want to say Great NSV!!! I mean as long as you're happy. But I cant believe Ppl are so stupid.smh. Congrats on all your success. 140lbs is an amazing feat!! :happy:
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Attitude is the number one tool for losing weight.

21604338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • micahnelson
    Options
    Wish I'd been there to see! Your smile probably confused them beyond belief

Ha, maybe. I haven't gone full cue-ball yet. I still need to deplete the stored fuel cells around the midsection before I pursue alternative energy sources.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    So I was very (140lbs) overweight and bald.

I began losing weight, first by withdrawing from my daily "Eat the Food" competition, then by walking around, and finally- with much effort, jogging/running.

My biggest fear of running was public humiliation, that someone was going to make fun of me when they saw me trying to lose weight. How ridiculous. As I began losing weight, I got confidence and got over this irrational paranoia.

The first time I tried jogging- twice people yelled at me from their cars. "Nice try fattie" and "Keep trying fat *kitten*". I don't know why, but I just laughed about it- maybe the sheer irony. So I keep jogging-- why not? The worst had happened.

This continues. Low calorie diet, daily intense cardio. I'm losing weight really fast, still getting the almost nightly drive by heckler showing his concern for my long term health issues.

Until one night....

One night I was jogging along and heard "Nice Hair, Baldie". I looked around until I realized it was directed at me.

Nice Hair Baldie. I was so happy. It was the first time an ignorant person looking to offend me decided to go for my lack of hair instead of my weight. I smiled and held my bald head high.

Wow! That is kind of nice, but where exactly do you live? What a bunch of a-holes LOL.
  • micahnelson
    Options
    I've had people yell insults at me too. I live in a college town and sometimes the kids get a kick out of seeing their professor struggling to run lol.

Geez. Pretty brazen of them to trash talk a woman who holds their academic prospects in her hands.

As a professor you wouldn't drive by their dorms with a megaphone shouting- "Haha, Keep Studying Dumbasses!" or "What is that a book? Don't kid yourself".
  • Cervantest
    Cervantest Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's already been said but, I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE!
    We really do like bald heads. Easier to see the handsome man!
    Keep it up!
  • micahnelson
    Options
    Also...your picture cracks me up :laugh:

I wish I could take full credit. It is Tyrol from Battlestar Galactica. I had to screen cap the face because, well... you see why.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    1) Fantastic attitude against the haters!

2) It's true, chicks dig bald dude! Hurray for you!

3) A side note: I overcame my fear of exercising outside by falling flat on my a** on roller blades in front of a van once. I could literally hear their laughter from inside their van. And you know what, it was f***ing hilarious and pretty epic, I might add. I've since had other more epic falls outside, most recent being last week where I hyperextended my knee. I've learned to just enjoy being outside and not care what others think I look like while I'm exercising. F***, at least I'm doing something instead of being lazy and driving a car! :)