Who is responsible for what we choose to eat?

Options

Replies

• lynda155
    lynda155 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I believe we are responsible...not because I dont think the government should be held accountable... we make our government, in the united states, so we should not only as a individual make the healthier, smarter, logical choices, but also get our representatives in government accountable by our vote.

Just a micro/macro point of view....one small change can have great impact
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    I guess the majority of us all agree that we are responsible and ultimately. Some have stated other factors but than there's the other argument. I never expected anyone to completely blame the food industry or government. I found the programme interesting and proves that we are taking responsibility.

I'm used to be skinny and live on junk but in little bits. I would say I had a eating disorder and was way to thin and was always told your to skinny you look nasty. So im am coming from both sides. After working for a major fast food retailer as a teenager I pilled on the weight. I then got to a more healthy weight. But forgot to stop. I started to cook my own meals which I thought would help me be healthier but I was still putting on weight. It's only now after joining mfp that I understand food better. I really wished they taught it in schools I'm only 21 so left school not too long ago but was never really taught a lot about food. I'm also learning that retailers are misleading us on what is healthy and for someone that is trying to make the healthier chose this doesn't help. I'm not saying bring in a whole law on what we are aloud to buy but clearer regulation on how they label and stop misleading customers wouldn't be such a bad idea.

I guess at some point either some people didn't care or was ignorant in what is healthy or not. But with my critical thinking head I understand it's deeper pyschiologically, socially and educationally.

It was great hearing everyone's opinion and it's amazing that we take responsibility and are choosing healthy foods and being active.
  • SVallatini
    SVallatini Posts: 49
    Options
    We are responsible for our own actions and that includes the food we choose to put in our bodies. I suppose it is much easier to blame someone else including the food industry and government, but we have no one to blame but ourselves for what we choose to eat. I don't buy into the whole arguement that fast food is cheaper and that is why we eat it rather than healthier foods. I have eaten for just a few dollars today, breakfast, lunch and a few snacks here and there. The only thing I ate that was fast food was ONE leftover slice of pizza. The rest of what I ate was healthy and cheap brought from home.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting to find that we all feel that we are responsible. Which sort of contradicts the programme which states the government is not making enough regulation on the food industry to ensure to stop obesity.

I guess my stance is everything in moderation. We are responsible but as a consumer I have been misleaded in thinking something is healthy even though this is far from the truth on the labelling. I would say I'm an educated person but I do feel that the government could play a more proactive role in regulating the Industry so it's easier for everyone to make the healthier choice and that labelling would be simpler to understand. Its also interesting in the research showing that people perceive just because it says or assumed as 'healthy' doesn't mean that it's low in calories.

Currently I'm obese in my BMI and have taken the responsibility to change that. :)

I think it's great that you're making the choice to change, but do you really want the government to "protect" you from making your own choices?

they do that already. it's called laws:

i cant drink and drive.. i cant take some drugs... i can't get mad at someone and stab them in the neck... i can't walk out of a store with some shoes without paying...some guy just cant see me on the street and go hey i wanna piece of that and then rape me ....

we already have laws in place to protect people from making their own choices. heck we even already have laws involving FOOD that prevent people from making their own choices, so how would this be any different?

The difference is that the laws you use as examples prohibit activities that hurt OTHER people.
    You can drink legally, but you can't drink and drive because you could kill someone else with your car.
    You can't stab someone else in the neck or rape them because it hurts or kills THEM.
    You can't steal shoes, because it's a financial loss to the shoe store.

Food laws would protect us from ourselves which it is not the government's responsibility to do, even though it doesn't keep them from trying by constantly passing stupid laws.

ahh ok.. so obesity doesnt hurt people and doesnt have health risks attached to it?

i'm neither for nor against these type laws, but i do find it interesting that people are able to excuse one set of laws as being natural while saying another set of laws are unnatural. simply put, all laws are unnatural. they are created by societies mainly to keep order but also as a way to help protect those who might not have the power to protect themselves..

plus we do have laws that are set up to protect people from themselves : suicide attempts are illegal, people get thrown in jail for drug use even though they arent selling it, and prostitution is illegal in most states.. those are all examples of personal freedoms being limited by the government. i guess the difference is we dont see eating disgusting food as a moral issue the same as we do getting paid for sex, wanting to get high on your own time in your own home, or wanting to end your own life
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree with your point but it is a lot deeper than that. For example Fatty foods being cheaper than healthier options. False marketing on food which aren't really healthy especially on food targeted towards children.

There is a high incididence of obesity of people living in poverty. The single low income mother isn't going to have the time to prepare gourmet meals every night. However, she is in control of making some better choices. She needs to be taught those choices and I think that is where we fall short.

NPR's On Being had an interview with Dan Barber and he said,

"So the question comes down to priorities. To what extent is cooking and eating and all the rest of the things that are attached to that, to what extent does that become a priority? And if it is a priority, you make the time.

It goes hand in hand with the amount of money you spend because what we're talking about — and I don't want to skirt around it; I think it's a big issue. It's more expensive. There's no question about it. You're paying the real cost of growing food. Locally, it's usually more expensive. So the question is, again back to the Internet example or cellphone use, 25 years ago, if I said there'd be 95 percent penetration in cable television, you all would have said, "That's nuts. We have free television. Who is going to be able to find $125 a month extra?" You all would have agreed with Krista, right? I would say, not only that, you're going to find another $125 for cellphone use in disposable income. Everyone would say, "Oh, $250 extra? Nobody has that money." Well, of course, we found it because we found it indispensable without those things. So can we excite this issue around food and pleasure to the extent that people feel the same way about dinner?"
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    you are.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    We are all responsible for our own actions. We put the foods we eat into our mouths.

MealNotOver.jpg
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Don't have time to read all the responses yet but each individual (or the parent if it's a minor child) is responsible for what goes into his or her mouth. And when people take responsibility for it and stop blaming others.....there will be a change. :)
  • KamFit12
    KamFit12 Posts: 43
    Options
    To question anyone beyond yourself upon the choices either to eat or not eat is futile. No one but yourself if putting the food in your mouth.

Futile lol it's only a discussion lol just interested what others thought. If you read my response you'd realise im not saying or claiming that I am not responsible but in a general consensus what peoples opinion is?
  • missmuse06
    missmuse06 Posts: 50
    Options
    I agree with your point but it is a lot deeper than that. For example Fatty foods being cheaper than healthier options. False marketing on food which aren't really healthy especially on food targeted towards children.

It's not more expensive to eat healthy. Even living alone, I'll prepare healthy foods and store leftovers.

http://therounds.stanly.org/2011/10/is-fast-food-really-cheaper-than-healthy-food/
  • Deinonychus
    Options
    I saw that program but decided not to because it would only enrage me at people not taking responsibility for themselves and their children. Chicken breast, fresh veggies, fruit, cooking sauces, yogurts, rice- not expensive. And everyone knows if it says "no artificial colors, flavours or preservatives" that means nothing, if a chocolate bar says that it doesn't automatically become healthy. All this is, is people wanting to blame someone else for their overeating and not taking accountability for themselves as if putting the fault somewhere else will make you slim. It's nonsense.
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    In America, as an society we blame everyone else for everything. Its never our fault. Thats why we have stupid lawsuits against restaurants and why restaurants are forced to change their recipes and techniques for cooking now bland food. McDonalds fries and burgers were so amazing back in the day, now they are just chemically engineered crap that doesnt rot. Its simple, if you eat out alot and dont watch your diet, its your fault. People need to take responsibility for their own actions and quit blaming others for everything.
  • kirstiesharpe2209
    Options
    Average price of a chocolate bar? 60p. Average price of a banana? 19p. It drives me insane that people claim healthy food is expensive!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    It's really interesting to find that we all feel that we are responsible. Which sort of contradicts the programme which states the government is not making enough regulation on the food industry to ensure to stop obesity.

I guess my stance is everything in moderation. We are responsible but as a consumer I have been misleaded in thinking something is healthy even though this is far from the truth on the labelling. I would say I'm an educated person but I do feel that the government could play a more proactive role in regulating the Industry so it's easier for everyone to make the healthier choice and that labelling would be simpler to understand. Its also interesting in the research showing that people perceive just because it says or assumed as 'healthy' doesn't mean that it's low in calories.

Currently I'm obese in my BMI and have taken the responsibility to change that. :)

I think it's great that you're making the choice to change, but do you really want the government to "protect" you from making your own choices?

awesome responce!
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone held down and forced to eat a bag of chips, 14 hotdogs, a 2 liter of pop, and a cake.

THIS!!
    Nothing wrong with a treat. Moderation is key. No one said you have to eat anything except maybe your mamma when you're a kid. Sometimes, that's where it starts.
    My mom may be the worst mom ever but she taught me to eat well. Been craving veggies over cookies my whole life.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It comes down to the individual, of course, but anyone who's ever taken a sociology course should be able to step back and see the bigger picture. I think the root cause lies with the US government promoting dietary and health recommendations wllly nilly without the science to back up those recommendations--and continuing the debacle by not correcting the mistakes they made because of political and economic considerations. It's outrageous.

Not only this, but the stereotypical american diet has been subtly changing over the years; so much that many people do not know how drastic a change has occurred. Knowing that most of our habits will be determined by our social and physiological development before the age of 5, we can understand that if our parents make unhealthy food choices, we will be prone to do the same.
    So no, nobody is going to hold you down and force feed you potato chips (horror movies excluded in this generalization), but if you're raised on a healthy diet, it's going to be a lot easier to make healthy food choices throughout your life. So, make the choice now to eat right and you'll be giving your kids (and grandkids, etc...) a major advantage to make good choices themselves.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Wait I'm missing something.... who is responsible for what "WE CHOOSE" to eat?....I guess this we person is responsible.

Also fast food is not cheaper. Learn to shop and cook properly.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    are all examples of personal freedoms being limited by the government. i guess the difference is we dont see eating disgusting food as a moral issue the same as we do getting paid for sex, wanting to get high on your own time in your own home, or wanting to end your own life

Eating disgusting food is YOUR choice. Getting paid for sex and getting high? Your choice.
    Create your own life.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I suppose I'm part of the evil food industry. I have a small baking business. Oddly enough, I have never forced a cupcake down anyone's throat.

People are such whiners. "The gov't lied about apple juice and now I'm fat! WAHHH!" While I'll agree that the gov't should get out of the business of making us thin as it seems to do nothing positive, but nutrition science is a changing field. We've only been at this obesity epidemic for 30ish years. And no one gets fat without eating too much, so whether you followed the gov't advice or not, listened to food industry commercials on tv or not, you put the excess food in your mouth. Personal responsibility is the only avenue that makes common sense.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ultimately we are the only ones responsible for what we eat.

I'm not an apologist for the food industry but the bottom line for any business, big or small, is to make a profit for its stakeholders and - surprise, the way they do that is selling products people want. Hamburgers and french fries existed long before the Golden Arches did - Ray Kroc just figured out a way to streamline production and cut costs and, in doing so, gave birth to the modern fast food industry. Everyone has known for a long time that a steady diet of McGreaseburgers wasn't exactly health food (it's no different than smoking, the tobacco companies didn't make you take that first drag on a smoke).