Not Sleeping at Night...WTH?

Options
2»

Replies

• chelsea_thompson
    chelsea_thompson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Been having the same problem since starting my diet/exercise routine 5 weeks ago. I thought maybe it was the warmer temperature keeping me up (it's been so hot in Virginia!) but maybe it's the intense workouts I do in the evening, or a combination.

I found that putting muscle rub on my calves helps relax them before bed and I don't have to move around as much to get comfortable. Also, starting tomorrow I can add red wine back into my diet (Cycle 3 of 17 Day Diet) so maybe a glass of that before bed will help? At any rate, the reservatrol supposedly is beneficial in many ways. Good luck!
  • MalSponseller
    MalSponseller Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues getting to sleep. I think it's because I do most of my exercise at night, giving me a boost before bed. Any chance this has something to do with it?

-isn't much help-
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Then I discovered that supplementing with Magnesium an hour or so before bed will relax muscles and encourage natural drowsiness (and no 'hangover' like you get with some sleep aids). ----quoted from a pp

I was going to suggest magnesium. I take it b/c of restless leg syndrome.

Maybe your body is just in shock. Kind of mad at you if you will for making some changes!? Also, was thinking melatonin (heard good things about that).

I used to nap almost every day and then I had 1 sleepless night (couldn't go to sleep until like 3:30!!) and I panicked and quit the naps. LOL (even though it's never disturbed my sleep before...and that day I didn't even really take a full-on nap!) Now? I sleep like the dead at night!

I hope you can get some rest soon...I think a lack of sleep can even cause you to have trouble losing weight too! Stinks...
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue, sleeping 4-5 hours every night and waking up really tired at 4 or 5am. I wonder if it's because of exercising too close to bedtime?
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, but it does not bug me.. im usually awake at 6am.. and i try to fall asleep by 11pm-12a... there are times were i fall asleep at 2am

so i have a 18hr day lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising a couple of hours or so before going to sleep, this may be the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheKoren
    TheKoren Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What kind of diet are you following? If you are doing low-carb, if you are in ketosis, a lot of people sleep lighter/less when in ketosis, myself included.

(I kind of like this...allows me to pull all-nighters and half-nighters and get more stuff done around the house.)

BUT...I know....long-term sleep deprivation is never a good idea. If it is carb-related, maybe you could bump the carbs up just a tad and see if that helps. Hope you find something that works.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Lol! Yes. I blame it on the sleeplessness! But thanks so much. I'll definitely try that! I had no idea that cutting carbs before bed could affect your sleep!

We are all different but there is a lot of evidence to that effect.

I don't eat after my dinner around 6pm to maximise my fat-burning potential so late night snacks, carby or not, are out for me.

If it comes to a choice between a cream bun and a tablet of Magnesium I'm having the latter :)
    Not eating after 6 does nothing to "maximize your fat burning potential." All it does is change the times that your body burns fat, it doesn't change the amount of fat burned.
  • VWilson_Momoftwinsplus1
    Options
    Omg! Ive been having this issue all week! In the past, I've found that if I workout past 7pm, I won't be able to sleep until much later in the evening. I'm an evening workout person. It hasn't been an issue before but I've cranked up my workouts and now I can't sleep like I use to. I will most likely drink some water. Water helps for some reason.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Not eating after 6 does nothing to "maximize your fat burning potential." All it does is change the times that your body burns fat, it doesn't change the amount of fat burned.

If you look at the studies on Intermittent Fasting then you will see that fat is not burnt in a linear fashion, you can hit a 'sweet spot' at around 18 hours after which the benefits tail off significantly.

I don't eat after 6pm as a rule (which will be broken tonight, I've been busy enjoying the sea air) and I tend to have a late (but substantial) breakfast about 10am ... 16 hours, close enough for me.

Sometimes I don't (I may be hungry, in which case I eat) but this is my natural pattern right now, generally no hunger or lack of energy involved.

I'm not going to have a huge debate on it as the studies are out there for all to see but it works for me.
  • amandainez08
    amandainez08 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    A lot of you guys have been saying things about working out closer to bedtime. Yes, I actually do work out between the hours of 5 - 8 pm, and am usually in bed by 9:30-ish. I usually can't get myself to wake up in the mornings early enough to work out, then shower, then get ready for work. That's why I work out later in the evening. I use to work out at Curves (over a year ago - I hated it), and it did nothing that affected my sleeping habits. Maybe I'm just doing more intense workouts? Anywho...I'll decrease my workouts for now to about 3 times a week at thirty or so minutes a workout. (Also, since a lot of you guys mentioned it, I'll take magnesium supplements!) Then when I start sleeping better, I'll increase it! Thanks so much you guys! You all have been a real help!