Am I doing this all wrong?

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Recipe for disaster. Recipe for losing a lot of muscle mass, feeling like crap, having now energy, and looking flabby and soft at your "goal weight" without reaching your goal body.

Eat more. You're a young active man. I lose weight eating a total of 1800-2000 calories a day and I'm a small 40 year old woman.
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Is this a troll?
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    MFP says my calorie limit is only 1510. Should I stick to that?

let me give u a basic break down of my "usual" day

Breakfast - 7am - Usually around 330 - 500 cals

Snack - 9am-10am - I keep it low, usually fresh Fruits 150 - 200 cals

Lunch - 12:30am - Usually around 330 - 500 cals

Snack - 2:30pm - 3:30pm - I keep it low, usually fresh Fruits 150 - 200 cals

Dinner - 5:30pm - Usually 330 - 500 cals

Snack - 7:30pm - I keep it low, usually fresh Fruits 150 - 200(sometimes I wont have a snack at this time, as im not as hungry)

Totals: 6 means a day

Calories Total: Lowest - 1440
    Highest - 2100

again all my meals I eat DEPENDS on my hunger.

NOW i usually work out for 30minutes every morning 1hr after breakfast, I normally net about 500-600 calories burned (HIIT and Weight Training) and I also work out for 30mins every night 1hr after dinner (HIIT and Weight Training), I normally net about ANOTHER 500-600 calories.

so that's 1200 calories (estimated) burned.

your probably wondering OMG your over working your body etc. etc. no, I just have a GOAL and like you I want to reach really fast, so i have to work hard, and keep going forward.

hope this helps you

Disclaimer : this was just What works for me
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That and eat back the cals you burn from exercise. so if you burn 600 cals from exercise, eat 2110 (1510+600)
  • hunteranderson13
    hunteranderson13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yeah cause going as fast as possible is ALWAYS the answer! woohoo for doing it all wrong and not getting the results you want from the work and time you aint putting in!

high five!

be smarter.
    Sorry for being uneducated in this matter. I'm so happy that there are rude people like you to help me out. I'm not going fast because I knew that was the answer. Maybe that's why I asked if it was or not before doing something stupid. Be smarter.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    NOW i usually work out for 30minutes every morning 1hr after breakfast, I normally net about 500-600 calories burned (HIIT and Weight Training) and I also work out for 30mins every night 1hr after dinner (HIIT and Weight Training), I normally net about ANOTHER 500-600 calories.

Bet you a dollar your estimation is off. THAT is why it's working for you
  • Hksalex
    Hksalex Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Bet you a dollar your estimation is off. THAT is why it's working for you

i did say estimate :) im just going based off what the HRM says
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Very helpful. I always feel like the more I eat the worse off I am. Then that makes me want to give up and binge. I know that isn't the way to go. Definitely gonna work on it!

It sounds like there are some other issues there, kid. This sounds psychological. You might want to talk to a psychologist or therapist about these feelings. I don't hit my calories every day but I eat and eat. Mine is not psychological- mine is a genuine feeling of fullness.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

That and eat back the cals you burn from exercise. so if you burn 600 cals from exercise, eat 2110 (1510+600)

And then keep up your activity. I completely understand that you want to lose the weight as fast as possible. I want to shed it all right now, but I know that it is not the healthiest way to lose. It is really hard for me to be patient, but it is key for weight less and maintaining it afterwards.
  • carrigsl
    carrigsl Posts: 3
    Options
    Not sure if this point has been made, but be thoughtful of what you are eating. Yes, you need to consume more calories, but think about the types of foods you are eating too. Try to stick to lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, and whole grains for carbs. Drink your water and try to avoid sodas, energy drinks (lots of sugar), and those frozen drinks at Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks. The hidden calories can in drinks can pack a ton of calories and fat which not what you want to consume.
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating nearly enough! You should be eating above your BMR and below your TDEE with your workouts. Trying calculating those numbers and do weight training and I bet you will see a difference. Strange concept to eat more to weigh less, this has to be a change that lasts. When you raise your calories from that low to a normal range you will gain the weight back.
  • EnergyYesPlease
    Options
    Killing your metabolism by eating too little will just make you gain all that weight back and maybe even more in the end. I consume 1,200 calories a day and doing p90x which is making a difference and I'm only 8 days in. Trust me, you want the calorie intake, and lots of water!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

How many pounds per week did you put in for weight loss? You are pretty fit. You probably shouldn't try to lose more than 1 lb per week. If you shoot for 1500 net calories make sure you eat back your exercise.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    yeah cause going as fast as possible is ALWAYS the answer! woohoo for doing it all wrong and not getting the results you want from the work and time you aint putting in!

high five!

be smarter.
    Sorry for being uneducated in this matter. I'm so happy that there are rude people like you to help me out. I'm not going fast because I knew that was the answer. Maybe that's why I asked if it was or not before doing something stupid. Be smarter.

You shouldn't apologize for being uneducated in something...you should educate yourself! MFP says eat 1500 calories a day and you choose to eat 700 and wonder if you're doing it wrong lol
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest eating more.

I am 5'5" male, 204lbs, and MFP had initially set me at 1600 calories. I actually upped it to 1820 recently (before exercise) and have been steadily losing 1.5lbs a week since I did.

Your body needs fuel!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Also, check out fat2fitradio.com, among other sites, to figure out what your TDEE and BMR are, that'll give you a good reference for how many cals you should take in a day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Killing your metabolism by eating too little will just make you gain all that weight back and maybe even more in the end. I consume 1,200 calories a day and doing p90x which is making a difference and I'm only 8 days in. Trust me, you want the calorie intake, and lots of water!

The min caloric suggested intake on P90X is 1800 cals, you need way more than 1200 for that program. (Are you netting 1200 or just eating 1200) if you are netting 1200 (eating 1200 plus the cals you burn from the workouts) you should be okay, but I would suggest adding even more.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

high five!

be smarter.

You shouldn't apologize for being uneducated in something...you should educate yourself! MFP says eat 1500 calories a day and you choose to eat 700 and wonder if you're doing it wrong lol
    I'm doing all of this and taking in very little calories.

you wouldnt label it as very little unless you were aware that you cut what you are supposed to eat in half. You know its too little, thats why you called it 'little'.

Theres no big education you need here. It says on every food label that a normal day is based on 2000 calories. So you think to yourself, Im going to burn 400 calories a day and eat 700 calories a day - that my total is only 300 calories a day. And I havent even figured in what it takes to keep my body running basic life support.

2000 is normal.
    300 is me.
    Cool.
    Makes sense.
  • hunteranderson13
    hunteranderson13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

high five!

be smarter.

I'm doing all of this and taking in very little calories.

you wouldnt label it as very little unless you were aware that you cut what you are supposed to eat in half. You know its too little, thats why you called it 'little'.

Theres no big education you need here. It says on every food label that a normal day is based on 2000 calories. So you think to yourself, Im going to burn 400 calories a day and eat 700 calories a day - that my total is only 300 calories a day. And I havent even figured in what it takes to keep my body running basic life support.

2000 is normal.
    300 is me.
    Cool.
    Makes sense.
    Please, be more ignorant. I'm here obviously for help, not to have someone try to put me down. I don't know what you think you're accomplishing but it isn't doing much for you other than making you look dumb. Who's to say other people aren't doing the same thing I am? Yes, I realize the caloric intake is small, but that's why I asked is to figure out if it was okay or not. Thanks to all of you that have helped though.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I am an 18 year old male and trying to go from 195lbs to about 170lbs. I have always been very impatient so I'm trying to get to my goal as fast as possible. The thing about this is I may be doing it wrong. I get some sort of exercise every day whether it be basketball, riding my bike, running, and a lot of others. I'm doing all of this and taking in very little calories. Maybe 650-700 a day. I am eating 3 times a day, just not food with a lot of calories. Is the a recipe for disaster and for me to just gain it all back in the end, or is this an okay way to do things. I have lost 3lbs in about 3 days.

Definitely not the way to go. You're under-eating and over exercising: you need to give your body a chance to recover, or you just keep damaging yourself. Up your calories and take some rest days.

You're lucky in that, as an 18yo male, you have more testosterone flying around your system now than you will at any other time in your life. Take advantage of that and use it to add some muscle. The template that you build for yourself now will help carry you through the rest of your life. You're wasting valuable and precious months by not eating right and not resting enough.