Low Fat Raw Vegans

Options
124»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Low fat? What about protein? I'm always curious how this works, because I don't know of any good RAW protein sources. Everything I can think of needs to be cooked. Also, why low fat? The body needs fatty acids for proper function. Not trying to bash, just genuinely curious, because it just sounds unbalanced, which is unhealthy.

Most vegetables are 10%+ protein, and can be eaten raw. Legumes and grains (many of which are more than 10% protein) can be soaked or sprouted and eaten raw. While it is not a diet I follow myself, I do know that some people are quite healthy on this type of diet. There is some movement away from 100% raw diets, to so called "high raw" diets, which include some cooked foods, typically cooked legumes.

And in case you're wondering, the World Health Organization sets protein needs at right around 10% of calories--so according to them, if you're getting enough calories, this type of diet would contain sufficient protein.
    The majority of high protein vegetables (legumes, nuts and seed) are extremely high fat. If the goal is 80/10/10, I don't see how you could hit 10% protein without exceeding 10% fat, which is actually well below the WHO recommendation, which is 20%.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Low fat? What about protein? I'm always curious how this works, because I don't know of any good RAW protein sources. Everything I can think of needs to be cooked. Also, why low fat? The body needs fatty acids for proper function. Not trying to bash, just genuinely curious, because it just sounds unbalanced, which is unhealthy.

Most vegetables are 10%+ protein, and can be eaten raw. Legumes and grains (many of which are more than 10% protein) can be soaked or sprouted and eaten raw. While it is not a diet I follow myself, I do know that some people are quite healthy on this type of diet. There is some movement away from 100% raw diets, to so called "high raw" diets, which include some cooked foods, typically cooked legumes.

And in case you're wondering, the World Health Organization sets protein needs at right around 10% of calories--so according to them, if you're getting enough calories, this type of diet would contain sufficient protein.
    The majority of high protein vegetables (legumes, nuts and seed) are extremely high fat. If the goal is 80/10/10, I don't see how you could hit 10% protein without exceeding 10% fat, which is actually well below the WHO recommendation, which is 20%.

It's possible... just not easy. http://www.amazon.com/80-10-Diet/dp/1893831248/?tag=eded-20
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why yes, I have the same raw eat patterns as Squirrels. Yes, I am a vegan.
    Gorllias have the same eating patterns as low fat raw vegans too
    Gorillas aren't vegans, they eat termites, grubs, worms, and snails. They don't actually drink water, either, they get all of their hydration from the food that eat. You sure you want to continue comparing yourself to the way gorillas live and eat? They don't have the same internal organ structure we do, either.

I think I would compare my internal organ structure to a gorilla before a squirrel and that is what I was replying about

Gorllia's are close to being raw vegans minus 3% of bugs
    Western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla):

This subspecies consumes parts of at least 97 plant species. About 67% of their diet is fruit, 17% is leaves, seeds and stems and 3% is termites and caterpillars.

http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/gorilla/diet.htm
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Why yes, I have the same raw eat patterns as Squirrels. Yes, I am a vegan.
    Gorllias have the same eating patterns as low fat raw vegans too
    Gorillas aren't vegans, they eat termites, grubs, worms, and snails. They don't actually drink water, either, they get all of their hydration from the food that eat. You sure you want to continue comparing yourself to the way gorillas live and eat? They don't have the same internal organ structure we do, either.

I think I would compare my internal organ structure to a gorilla before a squirrel and that is what I was replying about

Gorllia's are close to being raw vegans minus 3% of bugs
    Western lowland gorilla (Gorilla gorilla gorilla):

This subspecies consumes parts of at least 97 plant species. About 67% of their diet is fruit, 17% is leaves, seeds and stems and 3% is termites and caterpillars.

http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/gorilla/diet.htm
    They are similar, but not identical. Their intestines are much larger than ours, for one thing, relative to overall body size.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP has any obligation to have to defend herself. I've done a TON of research and low fat raw vegan is extremely healthy, healing and is a great way to live for a lot of people. Not all.

In the original post, she just stated she was looking for others who eat this way. If you are THAT curious, do your own research....there's a lot out there. And here's some raw vegan athletes for ya: http://www.inspirawtion.com/raw-vegan-athletes.html

To the OP, feel free to add me...I'm striving towards this way of eating at least 80% of the time, but I'm gradually transitioning for now. :flowerforyou:
    Interesting site, especially the RAW VEGAN FEMALE BODYBUILDER WHO WON 3RD PLACE! The one who didn't become a raw vegan until a couple weeks before the competition. That doesn't count. How many competitions has she won, or placed in since?
    Tonya Kay is a kick *kitten* example of a healthy raw vegan professional dancer. Plus she is super hot!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kristi15.htm
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think at some point, for some, nutrition becomes what defines them.

I see the distinction between, for example, a "regular" vegan and a "Low Fat Raw Vegan" as the same as the difference between someone running marathons in ~4-5h to stay in shape, and someone training to get close to 2h. They just don't have the same goal in mind.

Running is healthy, but is running 5 minutes/miles THAT much healthier than running 9 minutes/miles?

Also, I really don't think that comparing for example the lfrv population to the entire global population when it comes to health benefits is that wise. Chances are that if you are that OCD about what you eat, you do a lot of other things right (like sleep and exercise), or at the very least that you are definitely a concerned person when it comes to health. To be fair, I would compare those people to omnivores, but only those that are equally concerned about health issues, just hold different beliefs.

And a way to do that would be to check for top level athletes, and while it is true that there definitely are Vegans, paleos, pescatarians, primal, etc... The vast majority is still the average omnivore.

Also, since the discovery of fire, to cook things amongst other things, a couple of thousand years ago, I don't think that Raw Diets, or even vegetarianism for that matter, has established itself through natural selection and evolution as the clearly superior option. Heck, even the opposite occurred! Check the appendix for example, that is useless now, yet it was used to digest branches and leaves before.

Some people define themselves with the activities they do, their jobs, their stamps collections, whatever. I think it's commendable to define yourself through what you choose to eat (or in this case, not to eat), but I find it quite dumb to try by all means to justify it as the "healthier" choice, since it's probably not any better, once everything else is considered.

ETA : On the frutarian site, at some point the guy talks about what technically is a fruit and not a fruit, since the English language abuses the term sometimes. When you are wondering about those fine points, you can't possibly justify it purely with health concerns. It's a lifestyle, conviction, and beliefs at this point.

Something he doesn't mention but is interesting, is that purely from a biology point of view, strawberries are not really fruits. The fruit itself it the small seeds on the exterior of the strawberry itself. Those "seeds" actually contain the real seeds. Do you think they should stop eating strawberries?
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything productive to add, except when I glanced at the topic of this post I thought it said
    "LOL Fat Raw Vegans".
    Continue...
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The earth provides balanced nutrition for us if we seek it. Plants (especially leafy greans) have tons of protein. Anyone who takes on this type of lifestyle does their homework. Anyone who is unwilling, obviously will not.

I give kuddos to those who do it, or even attempt it.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    NotAllWhoWanderAreLost Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Tim VanOrden of runningraw.com follows a raw vegan 80-10-10 diet (and has for several years)

"After a year of stellar performances, Tim Van Orden, 43 of Bennington, Vermont was for the second year in a row named the USA Masters Mountain Runner of the Year. But the committee didn’t stop there. They also named Van Orden as the 2011 USA Masters Trail Runner of the Year. Van Orden stood on the podium in every National Championship he entered this year, winning four of them. In addition, Van Orden finished 10th at the World Masters Mountain Running Championships held in Italy in September."

So while I, personally, am not vegan, let alone a raw vegan, i do know that its a lifestyle/diet that some THRIVE on.
  • Purselley310
    Purselley310 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sounds like torture. what are the benefits? especially of eating such a low amount of protein? i can never understand restrictive diets.

• Purselley310
    Purselley310 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For one, a raw vegan diet is not restrictive by any means. When you are used to cooking your foods with a ton of ingredients and spices you mask the true flavor of food. When you eat an egg you add: salt, pepper, sometimes cheese. When you eat mean you dress it up with sacues filled with sodium and sugar. Fruit is a natural food with proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. It does not need to be paired with much else and it definitely does not need to be seasoned to tasted good. People just need to change their perception of food and what is considered "normal" before they judge another's perfectly healthy diet.