When do you turn your hrm off after exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• mathiasg
    mathiasg Posts: 32
    Options
    When my heart rate drops below 120....
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much rmac! I was on the right track wondering about it anyway:) It was just the part about not remembering my heart hopefully will beat for a long time to come, LOL!! This is interesting and I keep finding things of interest about the body and how it functions with exercise and foods, and, how to make it function best! Yeehaw;):drinker: :drinker:
    When your heart rate goes down, or you cool down I mean? Even though I am home now my calories are still going up. I bet I am gonna get flack here for not knowing, LOL!

This is a good question. Until your heart rate returns to it's normal level you will be burning calories at an increased rate. Actually there are some recent studies that this may continue longer than previously thought. If you want to be conservative then turning off as your finish the exercise or at 110 or something like that is certainly fine but most likely you will burn more than that. There are questions about the accuracy as it approaches your normal standing heart rate. For the purposes of logging in MFP I typically log about 5 minutes or so after I finish a hard workout.
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    LOL! I just realized as long as my heart is beating my hrm will go up in calories, LOL!

Dont be embarassed it took me a second to figure it out too haha!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I saw this post because I wondered when to turn mine off, too! :-)
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    So many awesome replies, I am just really grateful to you all;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Once my target heart rate drops either below 115 or is out of my target heart rate zone for 2 minutes (below 128 bmp). I definitely count my after burn...one day, my heart rate stayed elevated for almost 20 minutes after my run (it was hot and I jumped right in the shower so it stayed at 135). I burned an extra 150 calories that day!
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Don't feel bad that you made this post I am readding it for I had the same question!! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    After cool down...less restraints and I can cry in peace (:
  • Hadassk
    Hadassk Posts: 63
    Options
    I wish I could delete this thread I am so embarrassed LMBO!!!!!!!!! ty much for goin easy on my, LOL:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    You're always burning calories even if you're laying down, so your HRM will keep registering until you die.

Usually I turn my HRM off once my heart rate comes down to a reasonable level (I use 110 for that marker currently). Only takes a minute or two after I'm done with my exercise.

Please don't be embarrassed. I was wondering the same thing. I usually turn mine off after cool down.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I turn mine off once it drops below zone 1 and gets close to my regular heart rate range - usually only a few minutes after I'm done with the main workout, and finishing up the cool down.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    LOL, gads I hope you are joking, LOL!!
    After cool down...less restraints and I can cry in peace (:
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    What a sweetie, thank you so much:) denise
    I wish I could delete this thread I am so embarrassed LMBO!!!!!!!!! ty much for goin easy on my, LOL:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
    You're always burning calories even if you're laying down, so your HRM will keep registering until you die.

Usually I turn my HRM off once my heart rate comes down to a reasonable level (I use 110 for that marker currently). Only takes a minute or two after I'm done with my exercise.

Please don't be embarrassed. I was wondering the same thing. I usually turn mine off after cool down.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    I guess it was only part of the question that was embarrassing, LOL! Glad to find out so many good things so no, I am not regretting asking it;) Thank you darlin;) denise:drinker: :drinker:
    Don't feel bad that you made this post I am readding it for I had the same question!! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I turn mine off when I come down out of my zone (generally around 110 also)

Same here
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump that is too funny especially since I am thinking of getting an HRM..lol
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not a dumb question by any means and found myself wondering if I should turn it off once I am done running or after my cool down. In the end, it doesn't matter. Your body doesn't stop burning calories just because you shut the hrm off. I sometimes turn it off immediately after the run but sometimes after my cool down, or after my stretch, or after I remember. My advice, for logging purposes, just be consistent. For example, if you choose to do it after the cool down, always do it after the cool down.
  • NWCountryGal
    Options
    Thanks again to all who took the time to help me here:)

denise:drinker: :drinker: