The New Rules of Lifting for Women

Options
2»

Replies

• Sk8rG
    Sk8rG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You squat with free weights in your hands. A lot of women starting out can only use body weight. I think I started with 10s and ended with 30s. Now I have to use a bar if I squat because my grip strength won't allow me to do more than that.

If you believe yourself to be strong enough to skip over squats with handheld weights, then go to barbell squats.
  • evilmonkee
    evilmonkee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    For the first stage it's just Squats. As you progress through the stages you will see the more difficult variations. The first stage is about doing the basic move and continually increasing the weight with which you can do it.

I also have the e-book and regret purchasing it that way - it is the WORST e-book I have ever purchased. No links for page references - plus the workout charts are pictures so you can't increase the size of your text for those and you can't just flip through the exercises. I have had moderate success with doing text searches when looking for something.

But how am I supposed to make normal squats more difficult as the weeks go on?

You keep adding more and more weight.
    If you started with body weight squats and can't progress to loaded barbell squats yet, hold a dumbbell that's heavy enough to make the set challenging. Obviously, in this case you'd have to do goblet squats- it's a body weight squat where you hold the dumbbell in front of you.
    If you can start with the bar (or a loaded bar), keep adding weight as you progress.

ETA: Obviously, you can also hold dumbbells in both hand. I found that doing heavy goblet squats helped me learn proper form because they felt more similar to barbell squats.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 workouts in and loving it, I know others have finished it and look great.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Well, on the Workout chart it lists the Exercises like this:

A. Squat (page 157)

B1. Push-up (Page 191)

ETC.

My problem is I have an e-book so the "pages" are skewed and don't line up like that. My question is, he wants us to do just the one he's listed? or do we have the freedom to pick a variation of it as long as the variation has the word of the exercise in it... For example, the chart says "Squat" for all 8-10 weeks, in the book he has "Barbell Squats", "Partial Single-leg Squat", etc. So do I only do basic Squats for 8-10 weeks? or do I get to choose the type of squats I feel like doing each workout?

I'm sorry if that's a confusing question, but I'm just not sure.

The book explains all of this in detail, you need to read that not just the charts.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT!!! I'm in the group mentioned before and I'm now in the middle of stage five. he book is a quick and informative read. I recommend getting a hardcopy because you will need to keep referring back to it and flipping between the Workout schedule and descriptions of exercises. I've lost 15lbs and 15 inches in the last six months; however, weight loss is not typical and you need to be ok with the scale staying put as your body burns fats and builds muscle.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Ah thats great, thanks! and thank you for the link!

I'm not a member of a gym (Cant afford to be either at the moment!) and have only got hand weights...Hmm, Not sure if this would work for me then...Unless I can get some cheap equipment!!

Thanks all
    x

Try "You Are Your Own Gym" - great book to use your own bodyweight and household objects (doors, countertops, chairs, coffee tables, broomsticks etc)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I read it! I think it's a must read for all women!!! Here's a blog I wrote about it below -

Finished reading the 'new rules of lifting for women'. IMO IT'S A MUST READ FOR ALL WOMEN. Especially if you feel you're at a plateau!!! Whether you plan on undertaking the workouts they've outlined, lift on your own, use calisthenics or body weight exercises or are just not interested in a strength training program at all......the information in the book is helpful and eye opening!! So many women are stuck on the eternal treadmill….a steady repetition of too few calories, not enough protein and excessive cardio. They don't get enough calories or protein to fuel their muscles, so they don't get the results they're seeking, so they work harder on the treadmills, ellipticals, spin class, running and on and on and they slash calories even more only to get the same unsatisfactory results. In order to see a change you are going to have to step out of your comfort zone and make a change!

1 – take a good look at your diet and wrap your head around the concept of 'eating more to weigh less'.
    2 – protein protein protein (way more than what MFP guidelines, they are set too low)
    3 – even if you're not interested in ditching the cardio (I love my cardio workouts!!!!) be open to changing them up. Step off the treadmill and get to a kettle bell class, invest in Jillian Michaels 30 shred or my favorite so far her Extreme Shred DVD, do HIIT's they are amazing (high intensity interval training)
    4 – if you're inclined to pick up weights…make sure they are heavy enough so you are challenged

Disclaimer and other stuff -

If you're a cardio junkie and it works for you...awesome! Carry on! But I can tell you personally that I was a cardio junkie too and it worked through out my 20s, 30s, 40s, I had a great figure. At 53 and in menopause, cardio alone is just not cutting it!!! Things are going south and fast!!! It's like I went to bed one day and woke up in some old ladies body lol. At any age your workouts should be varied, cardio and strength, BUT ESPECIALLY once you hit perimenopause and menopause!!!!

Eat more doesn't mean poptarts and beer:drinker: (although that sounds really great right now). Eat more, eat mindfully and EAT MORE PROTEIN. Carbs of the fruit, veggie and whole grain kind are good for you, carbs of the cheetos variety are not :mad:

'lifting heavy' is different for everyone. You're gonna need to get in touch with your body and be honest yourself. Is that 5lbs dumbbell really challenging you??? Step out of your comfort zone and grab something heavier!

HIITs and Calisthenics - I love these. You can find a tun of these workouts that you can do at home on PInterest and Youtube and all over the internet...no excuses.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Ah thats great, thanks! and thank you for the link!

I'm not a member of a gym (Cant afford to be either at the moment!) and have only got hand weights...Hmm, Not sure if this would work for me then...Unless I can get some cheap equipment!!

Thanks all
    x

I'm going to have to check out this book as well, thanks for the info!

Try "You Are Your Own Gym" - great book to use your own bodyweight and household objects (doors, countertops, chairs, coffee tables, broomsticks etc)
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    For the first stage it's just Squats. As you progress through the stages you will see the more difficult variations. The first stage is about doing the basic move and continually increasing the weight with which you can do it.

I also have the e-book and regret purchasing it that way - it is the WORST e-book I have ever purchased. No links for page references - plus the workout charts are pictures so you can't increase the size of your text for those and you can't just flip through the exercises. I have had moderate success with doing text searches when looking for something.

Huh, I bought it as an ebook and didn't have problems. What I did is highlight the name of each exercise at the beginning of the how-to, and than access it by going to "My notes and highlights". I am accessing on a tablet though and not a basic ereader.
  • mercury8826
    Options
    @Sk8rG And evilmonkee: Thank you, that makes so much more sense. It was just a bit confusing the way it was worded and he didn't mention free weights when starting squats, so I appreciate the clarification.

I'm going to start Monday for some hardcore training, and I'm excited for the strength I'll hopefully grain through this program. Good luck to anybody just starting or planning on starting. Its a promising system. =D
  • ofey31
    ofey31 Posts: 15
    Options
    I LOVE this book. Just started reading it yesterday and couldn't put it down, half way done. Can't wait to start the program!!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yes. I did the program from September 2011 to April 2012 and made really nice progress. I also did the program from home without a trainer. Great book.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend reading it. I have yet to do the program, but the info in the book is fantastic. Definitely worth checking out