cut out grains (not all carbs) and WOW

Options
12346»

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will be shocked that I do not have a sheaf of properly peer-reviewed, double-blind, large population, long term studies at my fingertips to prove the hypothesis. I apologize for that. The study of autoimmune diseases, especially in relation to diet, is in its infancy, and much of what I "know" is as a result of individuals experimenting for themselves as to the effects of gluten or grains on their autoimmune diseases. Even with celiac disease, the experts do not agree on what grains should be avoided; gluten grains seem to be enough for the majority, but some with "intractable" celiac continue to have symptoms triggered by other grains as well.

Obviously anecdotal evidence is not proof and is not going to satisfy anyone looking for solid, properly constructed trials. But unfortunately, most of what is out there right now is not proven, only speculative. There is so much - if you'll excuse me using the expression in this thread - chaff to be separated from the wheat. There are plenty of books out about anti-inflammatory diets, paleo, "Wheat Belly", and of course thousands of hits on the internet, but that doesn't constitute proof. There are sites such as Truly Gluten Free, Gluten Free Society, etc. which try to compile and distil some of this information for the public, but again, much of what they rely on is unproven, speculative, etc.

I'm not an expert. Having reviewed our family's health history with my dad, it appears that I am fourth-generation celiac. My husband and child are also celiac or gluten intolerant (my child is adopted, so did not inherit it from either of us, but his bmom, who listed her only health concern as "allergic to grass" - grains all being part of the grass family). I know, but cannot prove, and have no desire to try, that removing non-gluten grains after being only gluten-free for a few years eliminated my Sjogren's symptoms. I know many people in the celiac community who have the celiac-diabetes-hashimoto's triad, whose symptoms disappear when either gluten or all grains are removed. I know those who have been diagnosed with RA, fibro, IBD, chronic fatigue, migraines, mental illness, or a plethora of other diseases who are now symptomless unless they accidentally ingest gluten or grains. Some have additional trigger foods such as nightshades, soy, or dairy.

You can find communities of grain-free survivors all over the internet by searching any autoimmune disease and grain free, and read how it has helped their disease, lifestyle, or symptoms. But as much as I'd like to hold this out as "proof", I know it is not. It is only the weakest of evidence. For those of us who suffer the effects of an autoimmune disease or one of the other diseases more commonly accepted as being a result of gluten-intolerance, though, we can't wait for the science to catch up.

The medical community has failed us, often for decades, and still offers no solutions, but we now have a way to meet virtually, exchange ideas that have worked for ourselves or others, and much to our doctors' chagrin, jump wholeheartedly into unproven experimental diets and therapies and try the "experiment of one". It may be years or decades more before the research gets to the point where we can cite the study that settles the question once and for all. In the meantime, going a few months without grains is a small price to pay when we are already suffering a disease that the medical community cannot cure any other way.

<phew> Getting dizzy up here on my soapbox. Short answer - if you have an autoimmune disease, do some research of your own, see what you think of the studies that are out there, see what you think of what others have experienced, and decide whether you are comfortable making the trial yourself or not. Sometimes it takes years of an idea niggling away at you before something pushes you to take the leap. I knew I needed to try my son on a GFCF diet for several years before I finally broke down and did it, because I knew it would be hard and his diet was already limited. But I'm so glad I finally did, and thus ventured to take the first few steps onto the gluten-free path, which would eventually lead me here.
    Where are your sources saying grains are causing autoimmune disease?
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    oh, snap!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Crazy
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Haven't time to review all posts so apologies if this has already been provided.

For more information on how/why this may be beneficial, see www.MarksDailyApple.com for the Primal Blueprint - go to the 'Start Here' tab and scroll down to 'The Basics/Primal Blueprint 101'. All the information you need to follow this way of eating/living is available for free on the site, along with heaps of recipe resources for things like pizza bases.

Burger buns:
    3 Eggs
    1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar (I've made it without)
    3 ozs (I think) Cream Cheese

Whick the egg whites and cream of tartar till stiff peaks form. Mix the egg yolks and cream cheese in a separate bowl. Fold the yolk and cream cheese mixture into the whites, taking care not to crush all the air out. Pour into dollops of 4-6 on baking paper lined trays, carefully spread/flatten to appropriate size then bake for 30 mins at about 170 Celsius. Allow to cool for a few minutes then turn onto wire racks before storing in loose fabric (eg. tea towel).

The recipe I found was described as 'Oopsie Rolls' but don't recall where I got it from. I've used them for toasted sandwiches although they are a bit delicate. They can be frozen.
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will be shocked that I do not have a sheaf of properly peer-reviewed, double-blind, large population, long term studies at my fingertips to prove the hypothesis. I apologize for that. The study of autoimmune diseases, especially in relation to diet, is in its infancy, and much of what I "know" is as a result of individuals experimenting for themselves as to the effects of gluten or grains on their autoimmune diseases. Even with celiac disease, the experts do not agree on what grains should be avoided; gluten grains seem to be enough for the majority, but some with "intractable" celiac continue to have symptoms triggered by other grains as well.

Obviously anecdotal evidence is not proof and is not going to satisfy anyone looking for solid, properly constructed trials. But unfortunately, most of what is out there right now is not proven, only speculative. There is so much - if you'll excuse me using the expression in this thread - chaff to be separated from the wheat. There are plenty of books out about anti-inflammatory diets, paleo, "Wheat Belly", and of course thousands of hits on the internet, but that doesn't constitute proof. There are sites such as Truly Gluten Free, Gluten Free Society, etc. which try to compile and distil some of this information for the public, but again, much of what they rely on is unproven, speculative, etc.

I'm not an expert. Having reviewed our family's health history with my dad, it appears that I am fourth-generation celiac. My husband and child are also celiac or gluten intolerant (my child is adopted, so did not inherit it from either of us, but his bmom, who listed her only health concern as "allergic to grass" - grains all being part of the grass family). I know, but cannot prove, and have no desire to try, that removing non-gluten grains after being only gluten-free for a few years eliminated my Sjogren's symptoms. I know many people in the celiac community who have the celiac-diabetes-hashimoto's triad, whose symptoms disappear when either gluten or all grains are removed. I know those who have been diagnosed with RA, fibro, IBD, chronic fatigue, migraines, mental illness, or a plethora of other diseases who are now symptomless unless they accidentally ingest gluten or grains. Some have additional trigger foods such as nightshades, soy, or dairy.

You can find communities of grain-free survivors all over the internet by searching any autoimmune disease and grain free, and read how it has helped their disease, lifestyle, or symptoms. But as much as I'd like to hold this out as "proof", I know it is not. It is only the weakest of evidence. For those of us who suffer the effects of an autoimmune disease or one of the other diseases more commonly accepted as being a result of gluten-intolerance, though, we can't wait for the science to catch up.

The medical community has failed us, often for decades, and still offers no solutions, but we now have a way to meet virtually, exchange ideas that have worked for ourselves or others, and much to our doctors' chagrin, jump wholeheartedly into unproven experimental diets and therapies and try the "experiment of one". It may be years or decades more before the research gets to the point where we can cite the study that settles the question once and for all. In the meantime, going a few months without grains is a small price to pay when we are already suffering a disease that the medical community cannot cure any other way.

<phew> Getting dizzy up here on my soapbox. Short answer - if you have an autoimmune disease, do some research of your own, see what you think of the studies that are out there, see what you think of what others have experienced, and decide whether you are comfortable making the trial yourself or not. Sometimes it takes years of an idea niggling away at you before something pushes you to take the leap. I knew I needed to try my son on a GFCF diet for several years before I finally broke down and did it, because I knew it would be hard and his diet was already limited. But I'm so glad I finally did, and thus ventured to take the first few steps onto the gluten-free path, which would eventually lead me here.

Interesting. I find the term "grain survivors" to be a little dramatic. I don't think asking for sources about your opinions (which are stated as fact, not opinions) merits you getting on a soapbox. Just curious. I have autoimmune diseases. I went off gluten. I went off dairy. My symptoms did not abate or disappear. I find it interesting that everyone on the internet considers themselves an expert.

I believe one theory why diabetics find relief on this diet is that they are no longer eating high glycemic foods. Just a thought.

Everyone, and I mean EVERY ONE, is different. Your assertion that all autoimmune patients will be cured by this diet is very irresponsible. It worked for you. It worked for your friends and family. But it doesn't work for EVERY ONE.

I don't get why people get so attached to their diets and get so upset when it doesn't work for someone else. Chill out.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Interesting. I find the term "grain survivors" to be a little dramatic. I don't think asking for sources about your opinions (which are stated as fact, not opinions) merits you getting on a soapbox. Just curious. I have autoimmune diseases. I went off gluten. I went off dairy. My symptoms did not abate or disappear. I find it interesting that everyone on the internet considers themselves an expert.

I believe one theory why diabetics find relief on this diet is that they are no longer eating high glycemic foods. Just a thought.

Everyone, and I mean EVERY ONE, is different. Your assertion that all autoimmune patients will be cured by this diet is very irresponsible. It worked for you. It worked for your friends and family. But it doesn't work for EVERY ONE.

I don't get why people get so attached to their diets and get so upset when it doesn't work for someone else. Chill out.

I think you should take your own advice and chill.
    Also how long did you go gluten and dairy free? Have you removed nightshades?
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later>
  • socalgirl68
    Options
    To me it sounds like you're on the Paleo Diet - no grains, pasta, rice, etc. I have been thinking more and more to give it a try for 30 days because I have a few friends who say after being on the Paleo Diet they have more energy, sleep better and lots of other positive things. Have nothing to lose but weight anyway so why not try it?!?

yes yes yes do it!!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

I think you should take your own advice and chill.
    Also how long did you go gluten and dairy free? Have you removed nightshades?

I was going to ask the same thing.

A mere 30 days or even a couple of months is not long enough to merit saying a person was gluten free. Depending on the amount of damage done in the body, it take take as long as 6 months to 2 years to really heal the body.

Especially if you have an autoimmune disorder such as RA, chronic fatigue or Fibromyalgia.

And nightshades are a big kicker when it comes to inflammation and pain.

Have you talked to your Dr about changing your eating or asked for a referral to a dietician or nutritionist that specializes in autoimmune disorders?

Any Dr that doesn't recommend making dietary changes or even acknowledging the connection between the foods we eat and how we feel would have me running the other direction and fast.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    regarding the posts about ketosis and over 30 grams:
    for most people 20 grams of carbs will put you in ketosis. some its 10. some its 30. YMMV of course.
    i just know for me.. i can barely go over 32.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz20eTj1xqv

Check out the site above for more info on Paleo. Some dairy is allowed (in moderation).
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I think you misread me. I said "increasingly, grains are being implicated in the triggering of autoimmune diseases (not just celiac disease, but hashimoto's, RA, diabetes, sjogren's, etc.) Some celiacs still have autoimmune reactions to rice, corn, and other gluten-free grains, not just the gluten grains. I think you're making the right choice in eliminating grains and seeing if that helps."

I supported one person in making the choice to go grain free based on the information they offered. I certainly didn't say that everyone with autoimmune disease would be cured by going gluten free or grain free. I suggested that each person "do some research of your own, see what you think of the studies that are out there, see what you think of what others have experienced, and decide whether you are comfortable making the trial yourself or not." Many people will look at the information out there and decide it is not for them. Others will find people whose stories are strikingly similar to their own and decide to try it. It's up to everyone to try for themselves.

• mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much a newbie on here still and today I am 10 days old, about 7 days ago I started cutting out wheat and sugar.....and today I realized that I feel great, so if it takes 2 years for my body to heal then I guess I'm in it for the long run......not saying I won't ever have a pizza again or into a bag of chips. We are all human after all.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Pizza and chips are still possibilities without wheat. There are many options out there!
    I am pretty much a newbie on here still and today I am 10 days old, about 7 days ago I started cutting out wheat and sugar.....and today I realized that I feel great, so if it takes 2 years for my body to heal then I guess I'm in it for the long run......not saying I won't ever have a pizza again or into a bag of chips. We are all human after all.
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    I cut out eating grains 20 days ago, yes, even oatmeal, and am really amazed at the difference. I have more energy, sleep better and a few stubborn pounds are gone. Also with cutting grains, I have more calories available for steak and fish. Are these improvements all due to cutting out grains? Well, I havn't really changed anything else and I was eating pretty clean before cutting them out. I am eating more protein foods like meat and fish. I use to eat oatmeal on a regular basis, sprouted grain breads (ezekial), whole wheat tortillas, hamburger buns, etc.

I am not suggesting anyone do this, I know there are those who consider grains a required food group (it really isn't) but I don't see or feel a downside and only positives so far. Do I miss them? It is a bit inconvenient as I like making hamburgers and skipping the hamburger bun changes the experience and I love carne asada tacos...but eventually I will still eat an occasional bun or taco.

Give it a try for 21 days and see if you feel better.

Alright, I'm going to try this for 21 days!!!

6 days in, full on carb flu, but I lost 3 lbs!!!
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    I cut out eating grains 20 days ago, yes, even oatmeal, and am really amazed at the difference. I have more energy, sleep better and a few stubborn pounds are gone. Also with cutting grains, I have more calories available for steak and fish. Are these improvements all due to cutting out grains? Well, I havn't really changed anything else and I was eating pretty clean before cutting them out. I am eating more protein foods like meat and fish. I use to eat oatmeal on a regular basis, sprouted grain breads (ezekial), whole wheat tortillas, hamburger buns, etc.

I am not suggesting anyone do this, I know there are those who consider grains a required food group (it really isn't) but I don't see or feel a downside and only positives so far. Do I miss them? It is a bit inconvenient as I like making hamburgers and skipping the hamburger bun changes the experience and I love carne asada tacos...but eventually I will still eat an occasional bun or taco.

Day 13, 5 lbs down and feeling pretty awesome.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic, SgtMindy. Thanks for sharing your results. :smile:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options

Day 13, 5 lbs down and feeling pretty awesome.

Awesome!! Glad to hear it!!! :D