Do I want to be fat?

Options

Replies

• Rory_123
    Rory_123 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Treat your food issues as if it were an addiction. If you can afford it, seek treatment. The binge eating you are describing sounds more like an addict "falling off the wagon" as you say, than someone who "wants" to be fat. Does a heroin addict "want" to be a heroin addict? Obviously not. Many of the self-help books geared toward substance abuse can be useful for those who overeat. If you feel that out of control, might be worth a try.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Start logging again, even on days you make bad choices. Enter EVERYTHING. Seeing the numbers in black and white about how much you are over consuming (especially the if every day were like today, you'd weigh _____ in 5 weeks) may really need to sink in. As a friend of mine says, Awareness is Prosperity.
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    You do not want to be overweight, none of us do. Its just like you said its a food addiction so you have the vicious cycle of behavior that you can't seem to stop. I will tell you what I've been telling myself. We have to learn to suffer through this and that some days are going to be uncomfortable with tears. When a person addicted to alcohol or drugs come off they go through major withdrawal. We have to accept that stopping some of the bad habits will be painful both physically and emotionally. Try going on a all fruit and veggie cleanse for just 3 days or 1 week whatever you can do. Take some days off and just be at home or somewhere that you are happy and comfortable. You will be irritable and cry and maybe even feel sick but it WILL help you gain control of yourself and start cleaning away the cravings. Read up on juicing and raw foods, get a new food processor or something to be excited about and go for it. Just take a day at a time and meal at a time. Don't let one slip up ruin your whole day. Hang in there, i am right there with you, its tough but we can do it.
  • SteelLady17
    Options
    Because eating is rather convenient in our society, we think of it like a social activity or past time rather than a necessity. So, it's a mental game just as much as the physical side of counting calories and exercising. If you find your will power to be lacking, you may want to consider mental conditioning, including hypnosis.
  • sheltielover
    sheltielover Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Start logging again, even on days you maouke bad choices. Enter EVERYTHING. Seeing the numbers in black and white about how much you are over consuming (especially the if every day were like today, you'd weigh _____ in 5 weeks) may really need to sink in. As a friend of mine says, Awareness is Prosperity.

I agree with this- that was a huge eye opening for me. And now I'm 40 lbs down. I take each day as it comes. Do I have days/nights where I just eat and fall off the wagon? Yes. But the difference now is that I get right back on the next day

You can do this!!

Aimee
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You don't want to be fat - But you don't want to be slim enough to do something about it.
    Life's over before we know it. So choose your own route.
    Good luck
    Ian

I honestly think this is very insightful.

I struggle at times. With still having about 23lbs I WANT to lose (putting me at 160lbs), I think part of me doesn't want it enough to really buckle down again. I am happy here at 183ish pounds. I am comfortable. I am confident. I feel good here. This is where I've been for quite some time now. My nutritionist thinks that my body is just happy here for now because I've lost a significant amount of weight (I recently saw a nutritionist so she can go over my food log and tell me where I should make changes because my ultimate goal is to be healthy now).
    To the poster who said "change is uncomfortable" you are very right also. It IS uncomfortable and sometimes people just aren't ready to change. Make small changes so it's not overwhelming. That's what I did when I began. :) Good luck!
  • Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    "Today his history Tomorow is a mystery" You cant change what you have already done. All you can do is make better decisions now and moving forward. Find foods that you like that can take the place of what your eating that you shouldnt. Go for short walks and build on that time. Small adjustments in your daily life can make huge impacts on if your sucessfull or not. No one wants to be fat but you need to keep in mind you have to choices. Healthy food or meds of all kinds to keep you going. I always choose healthy food every time
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I could have written this. Well, except I always knew I didn't want to be fat...I just didn't want it enough. Now I do!

What FINALLY worked for me was to cut out ALL artificial sweeteners....no diet soda. No sweetener in my coffee. I drink it black now. Me! I drink black coffee! It's amazing how many calories a day I was adding to my coffee with the creamer...and how I was feeding my addiction with the artificial sweetener.

I went on a 21 day plan where the only sweetener I added, and only very limited amounts, was honey. By limited, I mean a couple teaspoons a day in my shake or yogurt. After about a week I noticed my cravings lessening. Now they are all but gone. Do I sometimes want something sweet? Of course, and eventually I will have a bite here and there. But do I have that over-whelming "need" for chocolate, cookies, cake, ice cream? Nope!

I think the most surprising thing to me was that it almost seems the artificial sweeteners were what was really feeding my addiction.

I'll be anxious to hear if you decide to cut those out...and, like any addict, I find it best to take it one day at a time (or sometimes, 1 hour or even second at a time) Just say, I will not add any sugar or fake stuff TODAY! Or, to this meal...or to this cup of coffee. If I can do it, YOU CAN do it too!!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Sugar is extremely addictive, if you can break the sugar addiction then you will do much better. It will only take a few days but if you eat no sugar at all for a few days then slowly reintroduce good sugars (like fruit) you will notice the cravings for sweet food disappear. Like any addiction though it will be a horrible few days so be prepared. I used to eat chocolate/ biscuits/ cake every day until I did this, now the thought of a sugary chocolate cake turns my stomach because I'm not used to such sweet food. Good luck, I'm sure you can do it!
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I think you have a couple of things going on (I'm a lot like you). First of all, there is a real, physical addiction thing with carbohydrates. Those sweets, breads, rice, pasta things. When you cut back or eliminate those, your body does go through a kind of withdrawal, I think. It took me a couple of weeks to get past that.

Then comes the mental/emotional challenges. I enjoy cooking new recipes, too. Best thing I've found is not to deny yourself the pleasure of cooking. Instead, look for healthier recipes to try. You still get the joy of cooking. For those who have no problem popping a frozen meal into the microwave, they just understand the rush, the satisfaction of cooking. (Thank goodness there's some of us out there, or we'd have no good restaurants!)

You may have some childhood issues to deal with, too. For me, I grew up in a family who always emphasized not wasting food. I got it into my psyche that there wasn't enough food and I'd better eat while there was some, because you never knew if there would be any more. Now that I understand that issue, in order to stop eating even if there is food left, is to say to myself over and over, "there will always be another meal". I hope some of this makes sense to you and that you can successfully get yourself "back on the wagon". MFP is a great support tool for you to use!
  • bubmaster
    bubmaster Posts: 90
    Options
    many times in my past I felt I wanted to stay overweight,felt like I was protecting myself,maybe denial,have no idea,guess i just gave up,but fitnesspal is helping me so much,makes me feel i'm not alone with this weight problem.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I think once you find that you like eating healthy and start putting good stuff into you, you'll feel the difference in your body. I didn't really crave bad things, I just like to eat when I was bored. But then I found that the better I ate and the less I ate my body felt new again. Like a new shiny me.. I feel like I hit rock bottom when I stepped on the scale and saw my weight for the first time in years. That number haunts me and will always-so I never looked back.

You need to find a motivation like that to keep you going-even if it takes putting up post its all over the walls and cabinets!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I could have written this. Well, except I always knew I didn't want to be fat...I just didn't want it enough. Now I do!

What FINALLY worked for me was to cut out ALL artificial sweeteners....no diet soda. No sweetener in my coffee. I drink it black now. Me! I drink black coffee! It's amazing how many calories a day I was adding to my coffee with the creamer...and how I was feeding my addiction with the artificial sweetener.

I went on a 21 day plan where the only sweetener I added, and only very limited amounts, was honey. By limited, I mean a couple teaspoons a day in my shake or yogurt. After about a week I noticed my cravings lessening. Now they are all but gone. Do I sometimes want something sweet? Of course, and eventually I will have a bite here and there. But do I have that over-whelming "need" for chocolate, cookies, cake, ice cream? Nope!

I think the most surprising thing to me was that it almost seems the artificial sweeteners were what was really feeding my addiction.

I'll be anxious to hear if you decide to cut those out...and, like any addict, I find it best to take it one day at a time (or sometimes, 1 hour or even second at a time) Just say, I will not add any sugar or fake stuff TODAY! Or, to this meal...or to this cup of coffee. If I can do it, YOU CAN do it too!!

I experienced something very similar. I cut out artificial sweeteners entirely. I ditched diet soda entirely in 2005, and I find that I get satisfied with my caffeine intake after two cups of coffee in the morning, and one ice tea in the afternoon. Water at meals. It absolutely helps. This year I went cold Turkey on mindless carb eating … don't crave bread, pasta, or rice anymore.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My doctor is very big on the whole "carbs are addictive" spiel. I believe there is some truth to it, just based on my own personal experience. According to him, carbs are just as addictive to some people as drugs like cocaine or heroine. For me, my doc told me to go super low-carb. It sucked for a week and then was great. I guess my point is to not beat yourself up so much because carbs can literally be addicting. You aren't making it up. And it affects people differently.

After awhile without them, they start to not taste so great and you want them less and less. It's a struggle though.

http://www.details.com/style-advice/the-body/201103/carbs-caffeine-food-cocaine-addiction

This article has a lot of the same points that my doctor brought up. I did not have a chance to check the validity of the author or his sources so take it with a grain of salt if you do read it.
  • ScarlettIsSpiffing
    ScarlettIsSpiffing Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hiya
    I'm gonna share what someone in my friends list posted this morning, I needed to hear it & hope it helps you decide too, good luck whatever you decide x

"It's not that some people have willpower and others don't .... It's just that some people are ready to change .... and others are not .... So you have to decide for yourself which one you are ... are you ready to change your ways and start living the dream or are you going to sit there and wish you had the willpower to do more ???? The bottom line is ... we have the power to create our own destiny ... if your willing to put in the hard work, if you have determination ... and you " think " you can ... nothing can stop you ! Just grasp the opportunity my friends ... allow yourself to exceed your expectations and then you can relish in the results ! C'mon ... get up and get moving"
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's not that you want to be fat...just that you don't want to be thin enough to stick with it. My pain was great enough that I wanted nothing more than to lose weight. I still remember how I felt when I was losing weight and how determined I was and this was over 20yrs ago. JUST KEEP TRYING!! The miracle will happen for you! Surround yourself with as many like-minded people as possible! I'm sending a friend request.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    There are some aspects of this topic that could've been taken out of my own life. I LOVE food... I'm always looking at trying to spice things up, change them around, experimenting with food... and I LOVE cooking.. I also HATE the way I look/feel/live etc. I've struggled with staying with a program for far too long, and I only have myself to blame. However, I have to turn my love of food onto a different path.. While I love cooking, i need to love trying to find healthier recipes to cook, and how to keep me and my family healthy. slowly but surely, our food choices are getting better, i can't eat quite as much as i used to. Just tackle one thing to change at a time, until you're comfortable, then go one to another. You CAN do this, you WILL do this. :) I'm here for support if you need it
  • nomoreexcuses83
    Options
    I just read about this! I subscribe to WebMD daily emails and this is what was in my inbox for today:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction?ecd=wnl_wlw_

In my personal experience I have stopped buying chocolate, candy, and other goodies for around the house. It is extremely difficult, but I'm the type of person that if it is not there and I have to go through the trouble of having to go get it, I usually end up just having something else. I am to the point that I am actually craving good food now! One of my favorites is frozen strawberries, 1/2 frozen banana, container of greek yougurt, 1 tbsp honey, and water (depending on how thick or thin you want it). It makes a huge portion and tastes like a strawberry milkshake! I still do indulge in my cold stone creamery every now and then, but my body is used to not having that much sugar any more and it actually makes me sick after eating it!

Good Luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I first started this journey, I knew that I didn't want to be fat... but I knew that if being thin meant that I had to stop eating what I loved, that I wasn't going to stick with it for very long. So I found ways to eat what I love, and still be thin.

What helped me in the beginning was pre-logging. I would think about what i wanted for the day, and then I would log it. Based on what it turned out to be, I could then make changes here and there to make it fit into my calorie goal/macros. I also knew how much work I was going to have to put in that day if I wanted to eat as planned.

What also helped me is measuring things and see what a serving of XYZ looked like. Once I measured and plated it, I could see that it was plenty of food, and that I didn't need anymore even though I sometimes wanted more.

Eventually it will click.. and you will get the willpower. It just doesn't happen over night.. and you have to keep trying until it does.