what to do when you hate "working out"

Options

Replies

• spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    So can you not try yoga again because of your back? Did you have a careless teacher or what?
    If you like yoga and just the style or teacher contributed to your injury, once you heal, you could always try a video, a new studio, a new teacher, or new style. Right?
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A lot of people i know do Zumba - much more like fun dancing than working out. Personally i like walking if i can't work out or don't want to etc. Just pop in some tunes and go out and enjoy nature or walk w. a friend :)
  • CaliDan23
    CaliDan23 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great as well and you'd be surprised how many calories it burns.

Oops just saw you already talked about the lake...lol
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    well, an elliptical would be good since ur knees are bad, but i assume u dont have one and u dont want to join the gym, so i would say use ur stationary bike while reading or watching tv, i have my elliptical in my bedroom and watch tv while using it. also, just google exercise videos, there's all kinds out there and u can switch it up a bunch, walk as much as u can... do u have a bicycle or skates or anything like that?!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit/videos

there's some dance videos you can follow.

hate it or not, do it while you watch tv. force yourself.

or be fat. your choice!

lol srsly

i do ride the bike while i watch tv or read books on my phone - that does make the time pass faster.
  • Amryfal
    Options
    If you're on a continuous regimen of pain meds, they will drag down your energy and will. I've seen family members in and out of that haze for several days at a time. Heal up and get off the meds, then try exercising again.

i am off the meds now. i have a compression brace on my arm and i *had* to cut out the lifting, as much as it sucks, but i'm hoping it will heal quicker.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I hate to workout. Period.
  • Amryfal
    Options
    Try skating! It's not crazy high impact on your knees (unless you play roller derby) and it burns a ton of calories! Find a nearby rink and a couple of friends to come along.

yay! yes! i went roller skating recently (first time in 20 years, lol) and it was fantastic. i need to do more of that :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights was the only exercise I found remotely fun so I've switched my whole program to focus around that. Try different things until you found something you can tolerate :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Its all about mindset. If you think its gonna be tough, you workout will be tough. Your body follows you mind. Get your mind in the right place, your body will follow.
  • Amryfal
    Options
    So can you not try yoga again because of your back? Did you have a careless teacher or what?
    If you like yoga and just the style or teacher contributed to your injury, once you heal, you could always try a video, a new studio, a new teacher, or new style. Right?

the yoga i was doing at home with a video, and i thought i was ok because i'd had classes before, but i strained my back...not bad until my belly dance teacher (unintentionally, but carelessly) grabbed my hips and yanked to get me swinging wider...a week later...on the couch in agonizing pain. it's better now, but i'm pain-shy :(

i have been thinking i'll try the yoga again, carefully, and see what happens.
  • Clarisse0304
    Clarisse0304 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I suck it up and do it anyways....cause I chose to be healthy..so I find something that will keep me moving, take the dog for a walk, play with your kids, put on music and dance..A lot of work out regimens are not required with machines only...Walking is always a good start or ride a bike instead of driving to the grocery store, you will be amazed of how many things we missed from our neighborhood because we are always driving,even if is not the greatest neighborhood.. The point at the end is the same, you want to be healthy, you gotta chose to be healthy; therefore, you find ways to be healthy and you do it no matter what..No excuses..!!
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I first started I would dread getting up to work out...frustrated being out of shape, used to sedentary ways, etc. A couple of things worked for me: pick the same time every day . Make it routine. For me it was first thing in the morning. I'm able to work out at home and I just decided I'd do best getting it done right away so I'd be less likely to talk myself out of it later in the day. I started with a treadmill, so I put on the t.v. and used it to preoccupy my mind as well as set small goals like "I'll run 'til the commercial," etc. I jotted down every workout in a small notebook...still do! And I made it non-negotiable. That is probably the most effective thing I did. No matter what, the rule was work out every day except Sunday. It takes a few weeks to become a regular habit, but it's really worth sticking it out. Now I am very regular about working out, but I've varied what I do considerably, am able to motivate myself later in the day, don't really use the t.v. at all. It truly gets easier as you get stronger and fitter. Nothing feels better than that.
  • Amryfal
    Options
    Its all about mindset. If you think its gonna be tough, you workout will be tough. Your body follows you mind. Get your mind in the right place, your body will follow.

this is 99% of my problem. i always told myself i could only find motivation if it was something i enjoyed - and sure, it's an excuse, but when i found things i enjoyed, i did them - lots. way more than forcing myself to "work out" in the living room.

the stationary bike isn't so bad now ;o) i just have to work on enjoying other things.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Running is my thing but I recently started playing tennis too to break it up. I'd look into a sport of some kind, the skating sounds good too!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you are doing the stationary bike then start riding a bike outdoors. Cycling is the greatest exercise because its easy on the joints and never gets boring as the scenery always changes.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly enjoy working out in any manner.

I'd much rather be like my cats and lay in bed all day, occasionally changing positions and only getting up to eat and poop.

Unfortunately, I'm human so I can't do that. Instead I just tell myself that I'm exercising to avoid any problems that would give me less free time.

I love my free time.
  • Hope502012
    Hope502012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you're ok dancing, have you tried brazilian dancing? There are some good dvd's which means you can do it in your lounge (you don't need a lot of space) :smile:
  • Amryfal
    Options
    If you're ok dancing, have you tried brazilian dancing? There are some good dvd's which means you can do it in your lounge (you don't need a lot of space) :smile:

i've never looked into it, but i'll check it out! i love to dance, but i'm a horrible klutz with two left feet, so i prefer not to do it in public

>.<

living room dancing is excellent, though!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    lifting, pilates, running, surfing, hiking, sailing, walking, biking, jumping rope, jumping or leaping (don't laugh, it's f-ing hard), skateboarding, or just move constantly. Take all your furniture and TV and throw it away, and don't allow sitting.