Couch to 5K? Anyone wanna try it too?

Options

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I love this program! I have to admit though that I haven't followed it to the letter. Once I got to week 3 I felt like I could run farther than the program called for, so I did. I'm now up to running 25 minutes for 2.5 miles (I'm 6 weeks in). NEVER in my wildest imaginations did I think 6 weeks ago that I would be running for 25 minutes straight when I could barely make it 90 seconds when I started. I LOVE it! And thankfully the heat is supposed to break this weekend, so I'm going running on Sunday just to enjoy the cooler weather! LOL
  • soariels
    soariels Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing week 2 of a similar program I found on fitness magazine online: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/running/training-schedules/beginner-training-plan-6-weeks-to-a-5k/.

My running is totally jogging at a slow pace for now...I don't think I could push myself more now if I wanted to. But I know I'll build up my stamina little by little! The magazine article I referenced above suggests a perceived exertion level of 6 on a scale of 1 to 10, so I don't feel like I'm not pushing myself enough.

I totally agree that I'm envious of so many of my friends who run or who have become runners and love it. I really enjoy throwing on my sneakers and going outside. This heat is ridiculous, though, so I have been getting out on the early side.

My biggest problem with trying to run my whole life has been my large chest, which has always been painful if I tried to run. Since I don't have a good running bra a friend of mine suggested wearing 2 bras. I thought this was funny, but I tried it and it works wonderfully!

Anyhow, I'm so excited to continue this program. Many times I walk 3+ miles on the off days. Keep up the great work everyone!:smile:
  • sophiathedss
    sophiathedss Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Day 2 of Week 2 tomorrow! ^^^ and thank you for the suggestion, two bras....I have the same problem! Never thought of that! :)

I loved reading everyone's comments...I am excited to run ( actually more of a jog) tomorrow. It actually feels like I could skip and run more but I will just follow the plan and do everyday in order.

11269213.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ch00singlife
    ch00singlife Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am heading to the Nike outlet TODAY!!! I have been walking every day on a nearby high school track in preparation for starting the C25K program and my sneakers are just not cutting it...
    I too, am walking outside and this east coast heat is pretty bad right now. Really looking forward to starting.
  • Jenvan78
    Jenvan78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it and am on Week 5. If you are just starting out, it's best to take rest days in between runs because you will get hurt..I learned this the hard way and got set back a few weeks. I should be done with the program right now but I pulled a muscle in my calf...it was sudden too..no warning. I plan to do a 5k in August on the Beach :). You can friend me if you like! I'm doing the C25K that has Carli in the Podcast.
  • berlynn_j
    berlynn_j Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How is everyone doing with their C25K program? Anyone in areas with this heat wave, how are beating the heat? I didn't run yesterday or today (I did go for walks though) because they are off days, plus when I ran on Friday I think I met a slight issue with shin splints in my left leg. Feels great now, I just don't want it to start hurting every time I run because I definitely don't want to slow down or get behind on this. Hope everyone is doing great with their program, and most of all, enjoying it. Hopefully we can all become the runners we want to be!
  • suffy7
    suffy7 Posts: 11
    Options
    Ugh..... I am fustrated!!! I am at a stall... because of vacation. I need to start up again ... even in the heat! I am not following an actual program... just walking and running everyday as I can. I have NEVER been a runner, even when I was younger, so I really want to do this. Friend me if you want to be buddies ..... everyone needs help now and again!!!:smile:

Just so very frustrated with myself!
  • karenmari
    karenmari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started last week doing this with an app on my phone as well. So far I did 4 days
    And because of the humidity, I didnt do it the last 5 days. Tomorrow I will do day 5.
    I, too, have always wanted to run and enjoy it but have a hard time staying motivated.
    Will check back in tomorrow night after I go. It's my goal to run the CIBC Run
    For the Cure in Oct for breast cancer. I walk it every year but I want to run!!
  • berlynn_j
    Options
    So this Couch to 5K program really works, and you really get results. Yesterday was the end of week 4 for me. And I decided to push myself and see just what I could do. Up until that point the most that I had jogged was 8 minutes. Yesterday I ran for 17 minutes, completing a mile and half. Never would I have thought I could do that. 4 weeks ago I couldn't have completed that. I could barely run a minute. I have really enjoyed seeing the changes in what my body can do . It has been amazing. I am turning into a runner! How is everyone else doing?
  • phoenix8633
    phoenix8633 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I kind of screwed up week 2 this week due to stuff happening in the week so I'm doing it again as of Monday.
    Whenever i go out to do it I always doubt myself at the start thinking I'll never finish this day etc, but then as I'm doing it and I'm thinking of stopping jogging something triggers in me to keep going and finishing it. After I feel really proud of myself even though it's only short jogs but I haven't been able to run in a long time so I feel so happy that I've got through it!
  • millieb73
    millieb73 Posts: 12
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 3 of one of the C25K apps. I have avoided running all my life but I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this. I have a treadmill so I just run on that. When I feel more confident I'll take it outside.
  • tiffany1851
    tiffany1851 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had to run about 50 fifty feet the other day to catch something and I was pretty out of breath. My 5yo daughter yelled "Mom, I am so proud of you! I have never seen you run before." Wow, that was my wake-up moment. After lots of research, I decided some type of C25K was the way to go for me.

I was searching for some support so I was excited to find this thread. I am only on Week 1 Day 2.....but so far I think I will like this. I am tweeking the program a bit to fit my needs, but I ran for a total of 4 minutes yesterday. I was so proud!

My husband is a runner and does not know that I am starting this program. He runs a 5K each month. I am hoping to surprise him in November and sign up along with him.

Good luck to each of you!
  • berlynn_j
    Options
    I started week 5 today. After this week I will be halfway through and hopefully ready to run a 5k in October! Hope everyone else is enjoying their journey :). Feel free to friend me if you want motivation!
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would love to give this a shot! My dog and I walk about three miles every few evenings so I signed up for a 5K August 18th. I saw somebody posted a 5K program from iTunes which looked really neat. Anybody know of any good Android programs? Something that will tell me when to start running and when to go back to walking, etc. without having to carry a seperate timer? I always have my phone on me so that would work best.
  • berlynn_j
    Options
    I have a droid phone as well, but my couch to 5k plan isn't up there. I just downloaded a free stopwatch that allows you to set several different countdowns so that's what I use and it hasn't been a hassle. The plan I use is found here:
    http://www.fromcouchto5k.com/articles/training/the-couch-to-5k-training-plan/

There are several different ones at there, some more aggressive than others, some longer or what not. I know there are some who have used a program on their Ipod, but I got mine off the internet. An example of the first week is walk 5 minutes, jog 2 minutes, walk 5. And it ups you from there. Sometimes you run, walk, run, and walk, like Wed. I will be running 6 minutes, walking 5, running 6, and walking 5. But that is as complicated as it gets and so I can easily remember what I do that day. So I'll set a countdown for 6 minutes and another for 5. It'll buzz and play a song when your time is up so I know to stop walking or jogging without having to look at it. Then I just click on the next countdown and move on. It's what works for me. You may need to research to see if there is a program on the droid that works for you. Either way, I hope you choose to start. I've loved it so far.

Anyone else running outside? I'm starting to get a sports bra tan which I thought I would never say (I wear racerback tank tops over it so you can see it but not my stomach, the world ain't ready for that yet ;)
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    I just finished it ... The pounds seem to just melt off if you stick with it. A warning, about halfway through you will get really tired for a week or two, but take some vitamins and keep going. Now I run and have more energy than before, but body has to adjust.
  • Alaarie
    Alaarie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Found an app for Droid... Active's Couch to 5K. It's for very beginners, like me. I don't think I've run since high school and that's been 16 years now. I'm quite overweight (need to drop about 70 pounds) but dammit, I jogged last night!! Charlotte and I made it through the first programmed workout. The poor dog came home and flopped on the floor. I felt great! My excuse for years was that I couldn't run because of my knees. So, I researched "excersice for bad knees" or something like that and ended up on a discussion board where they were saying that it's usually form and not the person's knees. So, even when walking around at work, I've been focusing on my form and it really didn't hurt to jog last night. Yay!! Small victories. I'm surprisingly pumped about this 5K program and hope to see it through. The one I downloaded will be 9-weeks long. I think that's a reasonable commitment!
  • ahelgers10
    ahelgers10 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was going to start a Couch to 5k this week. I am excited to give it a try, I have always wanted to be a runner and lets see if I can achieve this goal.
  • laurengrayy
    Options
    I'm on week 2 day 3 of one of the C25K apps. I have avoided running all my life but I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this. I have a treadmill so I just run on that. When I feel more confident I'll take it outside.

The tredmill is a complete 180. The concrete is wayyyy harder. I was shocked at how out of shape I really am! HAHA
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I really think I'm going to give this a shot. I have tons of workout DVDs and such at home, but iwth 3 small kids, work and a needy husband, that leaves very little time for myself. I need to do something where I'm out of the house to give me a mental break from everyone. I also want to drop 15 lbs. by my bday in October so lets see if I can make that happen.

What type of diet is everyone following since starting running? Has everyone noticed the weight come off quicker than just regular workouts? I know my sister-in-law trained for a 1/2 marathon and she got so skinny. She was in good shape to start off, but never ran.

Good luck everyone. If I can find a good app for my iphone, I think I'll maybe try for tomorrow morning before the kids wake up or take the baby in the stroller. If not, it will have to wait till Sunday to start.