have anyone used the menstrual cup

Options

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I think I need to look into this. My husband and I want to try to walk the Appilachian (sp?) Trail next year, which tends to take about 3 weeks to do while backpacking, so not having to worry about pads and such would be a great help! (especially because i will most likely have to go to the bathroom in the woods most of the time)
  • kris10stew
    kris10stew Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have used a diva cup with an IUD for 6 years, no problems at all. Most people I know who have IUDs use them.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I also have crazy headaches and there is a non-hormone IUD you can get. Ask about that. It's just copper which from some reason disables the "little swimmers".

ETA: This was in response to the girl who talked about her headaches...I apparently need to learn how to use the quote function. :p

Just FYI, non-hormonal IUDs do not stop your period like a hormonal one eventually will. They work by blocking the sperm's entry to the fallopian tube, as well as "convincing" your body it's already pregnant and therefore not allowing a fertilized egg to implant.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting way to use your moon blood: http://moonwisdom.blogspot.com/2008/02/menstrual-blood-art.html

Someone please, PLEASE tell me this is a joke. smileyPuking.gif

What.the.eff.

As glorious as the human body is and the way a woman's body works, menstruates, and grows a baby....this is probably the grosses most unsanitary thing I've ever seen. :noway:
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the cup before but never in this much detail.. a lot of this information is very helpful.
    I too am concerned about having to empty it in a public restroom. I understand that you should only have to change it every 12 hours, but what if it needs to be emptied and you are out in public? Carrying wipes is all fine and good, but what about the blood that might get on your hands? I'm assuming if you need to stick your fingers inside yourself, that they are going to get bloddy. I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about pulling my pants back up and walking out of the public stall to go wash my hands. Plus, then you have to spend money on wipes to carry with you all the time -seems kind of counter productive?

Also, just wanted to mention, if you have a tampon inserted properly, you shouldn't feel it at all. I usually forget that it is even in there, until it needs to be changed.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I used it a couple times, thought it was really good, but it made my cramps so much worse I stopped.

Really? Crazy -- mine just about stopped when I started using it. I guess everyone is different.

I have the Diva Cup. Another poster said they didn't like that one because it doesn't have a stem, but mine does, so maybe they updated it. I really love it. If you're bleeding heavy you just empty it more often and use a liner -- but in maybe 8 years I have only had that during the first period after I had my baby boy.

The thing I like about it is that for me, it made getting my period almost exactly like not getting my period. That's my dream come true.
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've heard of the cup before but never in this much detail.. a lot of this information is very helpful.
    I too am concerned about having to empty it in a public restroom. I understand that you should only have to change it every 12 hours, but what if it needs to be emptied and you are out in public? Carrying wipes is all fine and good, but what about the blood that might get on your hands? I'm assuming if you need to stick your fingers inside yourself, that they are going to get bloddy. I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about pulling my pants back up and walking out of the public stall to go wash my hands. Plus, then you have to spend money on wipes to carry with you all the time -seems kind of counter productive?

Also, just wanted to mention, if you have a tampon inserted properly, you shouldn't feel it at all. I usually forget that it is even in there, until it needs to be changed.

I just googled it and it said that it needs to be taken out and washed 2-3 times a day. I'm sorry...but that sounds like more work than it's worth. ack.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I never heard of this before. Time to do some research!
  • lynn_marie68d
    Options
    Looks Like I'll be ordering mine I have 2 weeks left.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I loved my diva cup when I was able to use it. I have since developed medical issues that prevent me from using it but it was amazing. I never worried about leaking and you don't have to worry about TSS with the cup at all, sleep in it, whatever.

I do suggest buying two if your toilet isn't close enough to the sink to rinse out the cup. otherwise you have to stand up at the sink to rinse it out. having two is better, keep the spare one clean on the toilet tank so it's ready to go when you take the other one out.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I've never heard of these. Going to have to give it a try.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I swear by my menstrual cup! It doesn't hurt. And it's no more gross than a tampon.
    Is it purchased over the counter or is it a prescription?
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They are over the counter...well, I ordered mine from amazon...I think. It has been awhile.

I have a Diva Cup and had trouble with not feeling like it was up there far enough. I read somewhere that some people have better luck if they flip it inside out and use it like that. I thought that sounded crazy, but I REALLY wanted this to work, so I tried it (thinking that it would forever be stuck up there and I would be asking for some embarrassing assistance). Amazingly, it worked SO much better for me and getting it back out was no trouble at all. I had already trimmed off the stem as that felt really weird to me.
  • Shannota
    Options
    And I have to say I feel much more "normal" seeing how many other gals on here have used these. I just ran across them on the web one night and thought it was a neat idea, but I don't personally know anyone else who uses one. Thought maybe I was turning hippy :wink:
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Here is an interesting way to use your moon blood: http://moonwisdom.blogspot.com/2008/02/menstrual-blood-art.html

What.the.eff.

As glorious as the human body is and the way a woman's body works, menstruates, and grows a baby....this is probably the grosses most unsanitary thing I've ever seen. :noway:

probably no less sanitary than the exhaust of a car. just sayin'.
  • Shannota
    Options

What.the.eff.

probably no less sanitary than the exhaust of a car. just sayin'.

All I could think of was training I received for a summer job about "blood-born pathogens". I have to admit that reading that page made me a bit queazy and I don't know if I am up to eating my after-dinner snack tonight. I still will, since I need to meet my calorie goal, but I hope it stays down!
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I kept a little baggy with a couple pair of latex gloves & wipes for this reason. I work in construction & changing 'pons was nothing I wanted to do at work!! Just a thought...
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think I need to look into this. My husband and I want to try to walk the Appilachian (sp?) Trail next year, which tends to take about 3 weeks to do while backpacking, so not having to worry about pads and such would be a great help! (especially because i will most likely have to go to the bathroom in the woods most of the time)

Ummm the trail takes like 5 months to complete and that's going 20-30 miles on average. You'd never finish in 3 weeks unless you're only planning to do a portion of the trail.
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    How long do they last? 6mo a year? Just curious. I've never heard of this and this is something I may just look into.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    how does it feel? does it hurt? is it gross to put in and take out?

I take shots out of it after a week