Getting a Dog!

Options
littledumplings
littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
I'm going to see two cocker spaniels today that need rehoming, 2 sisters aged 4...I've always wanted a dog (and spaniels are my favourite breed) and now that I'm a lot fitter I'm really looking forward to getting these if the lady likes us...if not, then I'll buy a puppy!

I've never had a dog before - just rabbits, hamsters, goldfish etc. Kinda like the idea of a dog thats already trained etc as I have no experience of this.

All my friends who own a dog are like Yay! All my friends who don't own a dog are like Nay! (too tying, too much work, have to walk them 3 times a day, too expensive etc)

To me, walking them daily is a bonus! And also for my 11 year old - give her an excuse to stop watchng TV and get some exercise. I'm really excited about it!! Waggy tails n stuff!! :)

I've never heard anyone who had a dog say they regretted it - just throwing this out there for any opinions? comments?

xx

Replies

• _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    YAY! Will you take both? I love having two girls, they are so cute playing together, and I don't feel guilty leaving them when I have to work. I still miss them like crazy, but I don't feel guilty. :)

They can be expensive, that's true. But to me, so worth it!

I agree it will be a very good thing for you daughter. Lots of lessons to be learned from a dog. Enjoy!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have always had a dog or dogs. I love it and wouldn't trade having a dog for anything. Right now I have three. I plan my vacations to be where it's dog friendly and where I can take them for long walks, like the beach. Good luck!

Oh, and I wanted to add, if you've never had a dog before and if you work full time, I would suggest not getting a puppy. They are a LOT of work, more than most people imagine. I foster and train puppies and have done so for 7 years, so I have a whole routine set up for when I have a puppy in the house. But if you aren't experienced, I would suggest a dog that's at least a year old.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Cocker's are very lively dogs so regular exercise will be an absolute must. While 3 times a day isn't really necessary, them being able to run regularly will be a great boon for them so try to take the dog out on a long extender when you can, as well as for regular walks.

You'll need to ask whether they're house-trained, leash trained, can walk off the lead, obey commands like sit and down and whether they can do them at distance as well.

With that said, have fun :)
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would take them both, she said it would break their hearts to be split up! And they are all trained up, grew up with kids, and good on/off the leash

I live 5 mins fro the beach and a huge park so they'd get lots regular long walks!! Eeeek I'm uber excited! I hope they like us!! :)

Fingers crossed for us xx
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    I have always had a dog or dogs. I love it and wouldn't trade having a dog for anything. Right now I have three. I plan my vacations to be where it's dog friendly and where I can take them for long walks, like the beach. Good luck!

Oh, and I wanted to add, if you've never had a dog before and if you work full time, I would suggest not getting a puppy. They are a LOT of work, more than most people imagine. I foster and train puppies and have done so for 7 years, so I have a whole routine set up for when I have a puppy in the house. But if you aren't experienced, I would suggest a dog that's at least a year old.
    LOL We do the same thing with vacations. In fact, we bought a motor home so we never have to leave them behind. We call it their dog house. :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I would question why they need to be rehomed, will they suffer from separation anxiety if seperated from each other. Choose the less dominant of the pair, this will make it easier to train & assimilate into your home. Try to drop something that makes a sharp noise, see how the dogs react, curious? Fearful? Boisterous?

Are they kennelled at home? Do they have regular chew toys? Are they well cared for?

Nothing will discourage you from your decision BUT REMEMBER there are plenty of good dogs out there, DON'T rush just because these "appear" perfect.

Russ
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    if you can afford to take care of one. i can only see people saying nay if they are dog haters or are unsure if your finances are in a good place for a pup.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Hope you take both and dont seperate them, I have always had at least 2 dogs and they behave better, they arent as lonely when you are at work, and they are a total joy to watch play and yet always have time for tons of love and affefction for you, walks are the best, two dogs ironically walk better than just one alone, they fall into a nice trot, ( I use to walk 3 or 4 dogs at the same time, super easy). Congrats!!!
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've always had dogs too, there are good and bad things, they aren't cheap, food, vets, medication don't forget to have them checked yearly for heart worm and have them on medication to prevent it VERY IMPORTANT if you live somewhere that has Mosquitos, but I wouldn't be without mine they love you unconditionally, are always happy to see you and listen to all you problems lol
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Personally I'm against the idea of buying a puppy. There's plenty of abandoned dogs or unwanted mongrel puppies that need good homes. Mongrels are actually more often healthier, more intelligent, have less personality disorders, less genetic defects than pure breeds. Just worth bearing in mind anyway.

My dog is a mongrel and she's great fun, has a great personality, more of a pal than my dog. I've let her be a dog as much as reasonably possible rather than train her to death!

I too was wary of getting but I don't regret it. If you like dogs then you won't. Some people are dog lovers and others aren't - guess that's the way of it. If you buy their food in bulk and don't buy the big brand names then dog food is actually cheap.

Hope you have at least a garden for them to run around in.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Oh you just made me smile. I have a gorgeous black female english cocker spaniel and she's a cutie pie. I have a pic of her on my site. Good stuff being one to rehome some animals too. We just lost our black cat and just not ready to get another yet after this one being the 3rd I've had to be the one to put to sleep due to injuries or medical reasons :(

Love the doggy, she's a cheeky chop just like the kids. My dog is 3 years old and is the most affectionate little doggy ever. She just about pulls my arms off when we go walking though, so that one is a focus area for us to learn how to cope best. She is a bit of nervous one when on her own so the idea of you being able to get 2 together I think is just fantastic. Would love a second dog so our little Bonny (short for Ebony due to her colour of course) has a buddy when we working full time but have to get permission through the real estate first.

Good luck, pets are a treasure for families and each have their own individual personality that connects and reacts with each family member in a different way that makes you love them even more. Would love the opportunity to get hold of another cocker spaniel for our little girl.

cheers and have fun!
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I love dogs. IN fact I am going to look at a dachshund this week.
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    I have three and two of those are spaniels!! They are really hard work but very loving. Make sure you are 100% before taking them on because it wouldnt be fair if they needed rehoming again. Why are they being rehomed? As you have not had dogs before make sure they are right as spaniels can be a nightmare!!!!
  • KateL1969
    KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As long as you have the time, getting a dog is the best decison in the world! I have a viszla called Florence and she is like my other daughter! She is also my running buddy. I run to the park with her on the lead then let her off while I run round the park. Having a dog forcces me to exercise (especially one with high energy levels) Kate
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You said you will take both of them and I am rather pleased to hear that as they would not only miss their previous owner but each other as well. Also having two means they keep each other company while you are at work. I do hope you get them and like a few of the others here I plan my holidays so my dogs (Ihad 3 now down to 2 sadly) can come with me. I rent a holiday house from people I know and the dogs are welcome there or I take my caravan to camping grounds where they are also welcome. Ny dogs eat home cooked as well as bought dog fodd and they are quite healthy.
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    Dogs are great additions to the family, great workout buddies, and very lovable! I have a german shepherd and a chihuahua. I love them to death!!!. Getting a dog has to be something you really want. Otherwise if its something just for the moment, things could get ugly later if your pet gets lack of attention!.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LUCKY......i SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO want a dog but hubby says no :sad:
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I agree, dogs are just the best. I have two siberian husky and they are my children. Yes, you´re much obliged and it´s a lot of work. Make sure to read some about the breed, to know what you´re getting into. They will probably be having a hard time to begin with, but they will love you. And I´m very glad to hear that you will take them both. Can´t imagine mine being seperated, it would break my heart.
    Good luck with it. :happy:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    OMG I'm so excited for you! And for them!

I've had mine for nearly 10 years now since I was 12. He's my World. He's like my son and best friend in one. Definitely the most important person in my life. He's a Jack Russell cross Chihuahua and has a right funny little personality! I got him when he was 11 months and a family were getting rid as they had 5 children and another dog.

If I moved to a house (currently live in a maisonette) then I'd love more dogs, but he's a grumpy little thing and I don't think he'd welcome another dog stealing my attention! He gets picked up by a friend when I'm at work, but I still hate leaving him for the 6 hours until she can get him :frown:

Getting two is a good idea if you're out at work, they'll enjoy the company!
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    never had my own pet but when i was renting a room a few years ago my landlady had 2.
    jack russell terrier and a king charles spaniel. both lovely girls. i'm going to have 2 king charles
    one day. love them. my partner has 2 dogs as well. i just love dogs.

such great company and fun.... when they aren't fast asleep!

you won't regret it!