My Stupid Pal

Options

Replies

• MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Options
    Umm...why is it suddenly a crime to vent? I am not looking for attention. I made a legitimate comment in a thread dominated by "rate the person above you" and I am looking for attention?

You get a 10 for being holier-than-thou. Be proud!
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I don't get it.....surgery is extremely dangerous....

For the record...

I LOVE POPTARTS!
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot...

BACON!
  • flagator11
    flagator11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I haven't been active here very long, but do posts like this end up being productive??

No
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I haven't been active here very long, but do posts like this end up being productive??

Not usually. Welcome to MFP.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I stopped at "tanning is safe and encourages it" for some reason??????
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    FYI...since I have suddenly been demonized for voicing an opinion let me add some facts.

The mortality associated with bariatric surgery in several peer reviewed medical journals (not Google or the news) approaches 1 percent for all risk groups. This is extremely low.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I stopped at "tanning is safe and encourages it" for some reason??????

Btw. I don't tan in a booth and I wear SPF 50. Some people are just dark.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I can't tan in a booth can't tan in the sun so I'm going to get a spray on, hope I can tan there. I guess that's not safe either? Honestly to much of anything is bad for you.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Dude there are a lot of people that use this site. Just by the laws of averages, some of them are going to be brilliant, and some of them are going to be lower I.Q.

I have seen some of the worst advice ever given in the course of human history on here. I've seen people swear up and down that anecdotal stories were hard science. I've seen people thank Jesus for all of their hard work paying off. Conversely, I've also gotten really good advice, and I'd like to think I've given some along the way as well.

There's lots of willful ignorance around here. Lots of vanity. But you can't fix stupid. You can't make people understand that they're wrong when they blindly believe that they're right. So really, don't sweat it. Go about your business and let it go. Stop trying to help the people who wonder why they aren't losing weight eating McDonalds every day, and don't worry about the dolts going tanning 4 times a week.... Because, you know, it's better to have melanoma than be fat....
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is the only fitness related website where...

People actually think the risk of being obese is less than the risks of bariatric surgery and discourage it

People think tanning is safe and encourage it

I am all for personal choice, but people come here seeking information and advice and I fear they will get a bad batch of both

You don't come to forums for medical advice. If you did, that's your problem. The forums are full of opinions that you need to be smart enough to sort through. I've never seen a single forum post that didn't get a little from both sides. But that being said, I don't think its the only place you can go that would discourage surgery if it can be done without it. Some people never make it out of the hospital due to infections, etc. People here are encouraging others to lose weight, but do it the safe way. Whats 'stupid' about that?

I never said surgery is without risks or easy. However, if someone who needs to lose a substantial amount of weight or has comorbid factors is considering it than the risks of the surgery are far fewer than the risks of doing nothing and perhaps even the risks of trying to go it alone through exercise. Severely obese people or people with comorbidities risk not only cardiac complications from unsupervised exercise but also orthopedic injury.

I want people to know that surgery is a safe and viable option for those who are past the point of "doing it naturally". Just because a handful or even small percentage of people lose hundreds of pounds naturally does not mean there is any shame in considering surgery.

As for tanning, that should even be a discussion imo.

Ok, I get your point and I actual agree that it comes a point where it may be the last resort. And I honestly wouldn't judge someone who had surgery at any point. That wasn't what I was saying. I just have known several people who have considered it thinking they could not do it without it, but they did... So I'm thinking that maybe people here don't encourage it because they are hoping others can do it without surgery. It can be scary is all I am saying. My best friend and sister are both nurses. I hear a lot of horror stories.
  • _Wits_
    Options
    FYI...since I have suddenly been demonized for voicing an opinion let me add some facts.

The mortality associated with bariatric surgery in several peer reviewed medical journals (not Google or the news) approaches 1 percent for all risk groups. This is extremely low.

People disagree with you...that's not being demonized.

Not being overly sensitive is also needed for being on such "stupid" websites like myfitnesspal..or any website.
  • laclaire19
    laclaire19 Posts: 68
    Options

People actually think the risk of being obese is less than the risks of bariatric surgery and discourage it

I am all for personal choice, but people come here seeking information and advice and I fear they will get a bad batch of both
    I agree with what you are saying but weight loss surgery isn't for everyone. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I considered weight loss surgery. Even though Im a candidate for it in the long run, I think it would be much more rewarding to work hard to lose the weight. I agree that you should have said "some people" because not everyone on here thinks like that. Also, I don't think you are looking for attention rather than a confirmation, or maybe even a debate about the topic. If this guy is looking for attention, consider the other message boards about "rate this person, do you find the person above you attractive" etc. There are also begging for attention.
  • jcmartin0313
    Options

Not being overly sensitive is also needed for being on such "stupid" websites like myfitnesspal..or any website.

Point taken...but disagreeing means someone presents a counter argument not personal attacks. I will endeavor to post and not defend myself in the future.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    So, you've had weight-loss surgery, don't tan, and are defensive.

Welcome!!!

It's a big world out there, and it takes all kinds of people to make it go 'round. Stop judging, do what works for you, and get ON with it.
  • _Wits_
    Options

Point taken...but disagreeing means someone presents a counter argument not personal attacks. I will endeavor to post and not defend myself in the future.

Yes, true. Personal attacks aren't needed but to be honest, I didn't read all the comments on the thread! That's where just ignoring people comes in handy lol
  • jcmartin0313
    Options

I agree with what you are saying but weight loss surgery isn't for everyone. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I considered weight loss surgery. Even though Im a candidate for it in the long run, I think it would be much more rewarding to work hard to lose the weight. I agree that you should have said "some people" because not everyone on here thinks like that. Also, I don't think you are looking for attention rather than a confirmation, or maybe even a debate about the topic. If this guy is looking for attention, consider the other message boards about "rate this person, do you find the person above you attractive" etc. There are also begging for attention.

I agree on the generalization. I thought it was obvious I was not meaning every single person besides myself. I also agree that is someone can lose weight without surgery that it is a MUCH better option. However, I see alot of misinformation handed out and for many morbidly obese people surgery is life saving.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    so leave. it's free and no one will chase you.

^ 5
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Research is research, its a person's choice to choose to take word of mouth (forums) or find other sources of information. Making a thread called "my stupid pal" only opens up the OP to flames and his ability to portray 'wisdom' to the community, on a hostial front.
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Your getting banged on because of your generalization. People on here are generally nice. Take it like a man.
This discussion has been closed.