Dieting WTFs?

Options

Replies

• Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    God, if I hear another Paleo/Atkins/HFLC zealot rave about how you can eat 5,000 + calories of animal protein and dark leafy greens and NEVER gain weight, I'll eat my hat.

I'm not wearing a hat. :laugh:

I would LOVE to see someone eat 5,000 calories in meat and leafy greens. I don't think it is possible unless you are a sumo wrestler or a competitive eater.

google "bullet proof coffee" that guy claims that he eats 2 sticks of butter a day blended into his magic coffee for breakfast along with eating what amounts to a variation on paleo but in craaaaazy high quantities and has a 6 pack that he claims he gained soley from food, has not exercised in years. suuuuuuure buddy, you magically became ripped without a single crunch, let me buy your $20/lb coffee!!
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    God, if I hear another Paleo/Atkins/HFLC zealot rave about how you can eat 5,000 + calories of animal protein and dark leafy greens and NEVER gain weight, I'll eat my hat.

I would LOVE to see someone eat 5,000 calories in meat and leafy greens. I don't think it is possible unless you are a sumo wrestler or a competitive eater.

It shouldn't be that difficult, seeing as:

1) There is not a time constraint, so this could be done over the course of a day - not just one meal

2) "Animal Protein" includes cheese and other dairy

3) Depending on the fat content, some cuts of meat can be as much as 400 calories per 4 ounce serving.
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Did anyone mention the "drink a shot of apple cidar vinegar daily" diet?
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    the stupid "Body Bi Vi" crap I believe to be overrated. Might as well flush your money down the toilet...i'd much rather eat whatever i want and create a caloric deficit, than drink my meals...but i see many of my "friends" on FB sending me invites to purchase thru their link. sure it may work, but i'll just spend a couple hundred on real food.

This! This dumb girl on my friends list keeps posting it and people are jumping at it like monkeys on a banana tree. It's really annoying.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

I haven't done it as a diet, but a shot of vinegar can help with acid reflux and lower your blood sugar. I can just never remember to do it.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Actually, Atkins is decent. A friend is on Atkins and her weight is dropping off. She eats virtually no carbs and has a lot of veggies and meat, and it's working for her!!

But to be clear, she eats nowhere near 5k cals. More like 1500-1800.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Let's see...

Cabbage soup diet.....bleh
    Tapeworm "diet" ... shudder and don't think so.
    Protein Drinks only diet. Not for me at all.......I likes my food too much!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Any diet that says you cannot eat a certain type of food.
  • Margie7367
    Options
    If you saw the whole thing a guest suggested that for a certain body type you shouldn't eat breakfast.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Saw one recently at a fair that said you can lose 15lb in a week by drinking aloe vera (cactus juice).
    Um...my mum used to make me drink that stuff as a kid for a while (she always had a new 'miracle' thing can't remember what this was supposed to do now). It was disgusting - probably one of the most vile things I had ever tasted.

I rather weigh the extra 15lb I think even if I believed it would work.:laugh:

My fiance's father drinks this stuff and is still the size of a house-- no miracle there!
    He insisted that I try a glass, and I have to agree, it's purely disgusting.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Tapeworms.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I actually was on Pinterest today, and my friend had pinned something about "lose your belly fat" so I checked out the pin (because how else do you waste hours a day on Pinterest?). Turns out Dr. Oz's recommendation to lose belly fat was to SKIP BREAKFAST and only eat lunch and dinner.
    That's funny cause I remeber him saying to eat breakfest...what a quak lol
    But that was last week, this week it is you have to liquify your breakfast :smile:
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Saw one recently at a fair that said you can lose 15lb in a week by drinking aloe vera (cactus juice).
    Um...my mum used to make me drink that stuff as a kid for a while (she always had a new 'miracle' thing can't remember what this was supposed to do now). It was disgusting - probably one of the most vile things I had ever tasted.

I rather weigh the extra 15lb I think even if I believed it would work.:laugh:

I do drink aloe vera juice every morning - it's a great colon/gut cleanser and I've found that if my stomach is feeling off a good shot of it in water really helps. Yes, when I started drinking it I was gagging but I actually got used to the flavour and even crave it sometimes! I do tend to forget that it is rather disgusting to most people and have offered to let people occasionally try mine when they've asked and failed to warn them that the taste is rather 'acquired' haha

That's why I drink it. I absolutely the stuff.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My mother's latest thing is that blood group determines dietary requirements. Apparently the book makes a lot of sense.

I don't think that sense quite correlates with basic biology.
  • hottfarmchick724
    Options
    HCG drops - I actually had a relative suggest those to me. She has lost 60lbs taking those drops and eating next to nothing.

I told her no thanks, that I'd rather exercise and eat less and she said "Ohh, I hate exercise. Why would you want to get sweaty like that?" :noway:

Yeah, you go ahead and enjoy those 500 calories that you eat today. I'll be over here enjoying my food and running for miles :bigsmile:
    Good for you! People don't want to work for it anymore. They just want the quick fix. I rather put my heart into it and know that I've earned it. I will be healthy and more energetic in the end. :D

haha my mom sent me a link about hcg drops.. and one of my friends had used them losing 10 pounds her first week.. i llooked at her book because i was really curious about it, but its so restrictive! i decided i would rather do this... plus my friend ended up pregnant on this diet! haha it messed up her hormones that bad haha! i will never do that to my body
  • Marigenous
    Marigenous Posts: 57
    Options
    I think a lot of the dieting head scratchers I've run across stem from my friends not understanding what they're reading versus problems with the diet itself.
    For instance, one of my roommates is convinced that smoothies are a health food. While that might be true for some smoothies, it certainly is not true for the "smoothies" she makes that consist mostly of a cup of full-fat ice-cream, juice, and a scoop protein powder. I calculated the number of calories in one of her smoothies and it came to around 400 calories/ serving. She drinks three a day in addition to normal food but then is bewildered and moaning about why she's still gaining weight. I tried to explain to her that she's drinking close to her daily requirement of calories per day as smoothies and that added to her other food intake, she's probably just getting way more calories than she needs. Her response was that smoothies "don't count" because they're a beverage.
    Come to think of it, I've heard the "beverages don't count" thing a lot.
  • alexandra0690
    Options
    HCG drops - I actually had a relative suggest those to me. She has lost 60lbs taking those drops and eating next to nothing.

I told her no thanks, that I'd rather exercise and eat less and she said "Ohh, I hate exercise. Why would you want to get sweaty like that?" :noway:

Yeah, you go ahead and enjoy those 500 calories that you eat today. I'll be over here enjoying my food and running for miles :bigsmile:

this
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    To be honest, I've never seen more dieting WTF's than right here. "Not losing weight? Eat more!"

I'd say the biggest "wtf's" are the people who bash some diets that actually work.
    If you look through the forums, at least one person is bashing every diet that exists
    or saying that every concept is a lie or myth. It happens all over on here.
    Sure, some of them are bad or b.s, but there is quite a few that are true and work.
    Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's a lie.
    And just because it works doesn't mean it's healthy.

I think the biggest WTF out there right now is the feeding tube diet. OMFG! Why are the doctors doing this not thrown in jail??
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    According to a Dr Oz website, potassium is an essential enzyme???? "Potassium is an essential enzyme for the body's growth and maintenance tasked with managing the normal water balance between cells..."

Had to re-read it a few times to make sure I was reading it right... Not really sure if I would believe anything on that site given that potassium is an element and not made of protein!

Potassium is an essential enzyme.

Different link for you but it explains Potassium and its importance :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/370138-what-is-the-purpose-of-potassium-in-the-human-body/
  • alexandra0690
    Options

i saw that on my big fat american gypsy wedding, haha dumb show.