do you walk or run on treadmill??

Options

Replies

• InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pretty hardcore runner but after herniating my disc a year and a half ago I primarily walk.

I honestly can't stand to walk on a treadmill, unless the weather is an issue, which is rarely the case in SoCal. But I sometimes preferred running on a treadmill because I could control more variables than I could outside. When I was doing marathon training I knew the distance I needed to run each day, the pace and the incline so it was just easier to get on a treadmill and knock out the miles. Some days it would just be too distracting dealing with traffic, people walking dogs and bikers, etc.
  • petite_boleyn
    Options
    Both. Jog for a few, run for a few, jog for a few, walk for a few, repeat. Nothing is set in stone, it's all what my body can handle on that given day.

This. For 25-30 minutes a few times a week. I usually do Zumba for cardio though, the treadmill just adds extra. :)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I walk...2.7 mph, no incline. Thats the best I can do. I do walk for at least 1 hour, sometimes 2, 5 days a week.
  • valj77
    valj77 Posts: 26
    Options
    i mostly walk on the treadmill as i really dont like running on the treadmill
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking on an incline on the treadmill is a fantastic workout.

This how I have lost most of my weight I spend a hour on it, I am at the max incline now so now Im working on building the speed up on the incline.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I tried it but just can't.
    I'd rather be taken out and beaten in the town square.
    BORING!:yawn:

Lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no "better". There is "what matches your fitness level and workout goals".

There is a difference between activity and exercise. Any activity will burn calories and can contribute to a calorie deficit that can help you lose fat. Technically, you don't have to become extra fit to lose fat (but it sure helps). So, someone just tryng to lose weight can achieve success at any speed. The main thing is that if you are walking at a recreational pace, you need to put in more time (since the calories/min is usually fairly low).

To improve fitness, one must work at a minimum intensity level. So, your exercise intensity needs to match your fitness ability. Someone who regularly runs at 7 mph is not going to see fitness improvements walking at 3.5 or 4.0 mph. So if the goal is to improve fitness while losing weight, then walking will not be a good choice for everyone. Walking at 4.0 mph burns less than 50% of the calories as running at 6.0 mph.

Now a treadmill (or hills in general, but treadmill inclines are more consistent) adds another dimension. Increasing inline can signficantly increase intensity to the point where it can equal some running itensities. You have to learn how to walk up a steep hill (it's a little tough on the back at first) and you CANNOT hold on to the handrails (or else you negate a huge part of the intensity), but it can be a great, low-impact calorie burner. As a rule, most people trying this will be better off lowering the speed down (even below 3 mph) and learning to deal with a 10%-15% incline first. Then start increasing speed. You can change speeds and inclines to build a workout with lots of variety.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I tend to walk oudoors ( usually uphill for 30 mins and then down again) more than the treadmill - I walk to the pace of the music playing on my local radio station - apparently I walk quite quickly per my familly.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I started walking on treadmill for 15 min a dayLittle by little I went faster, farther, and then at an incline. After 9 months I began to run. Slowly I increased with interval training and after 6 more months run 5-7 miles a day. I like the idea of it taking less time to work off the same number of calories. My hubby prefers to walk at the incline . I have been told that the incline is bad for my knees as well as the running is bad for me knees. My knees feel fine and my doc approves of the running, so I am going to keep at it!
  • Nicole71602
    Options
    I find that I walk more than I run but I do try to walk fast and try to go on a high incline...I usually walk at 3.0-3.5 on the treadmill and sum times do about a 8.0-10.0 incline...the high incline usually helps burn more calories...do what works best for u and don't rush it...when ur comfortable with the pace ur at, then u can try and speed it up...have a great workout!
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Warm up for 5 mins at 3.0mph then jog at 5.5mph for 3 miles. A few months ago I'd walk for 4.0 then run 8.0 for about a min, and I really liked the results of high interval training, but it really took a toll on my left knee. :-s
  • evansgigi
    evansgigi Posts: 2
    Options
    I once lost 40 lbs by dieting and just walking.. I don't run because of a heart problem that I have.... I really do think it is beneficial - but you need to walk briskly.
  • evansgigi
    evansgigi Posts: 2
    Options
    I walk on the street and walk on the treadmill when the weather isn't cooperating.
  • krebscabbage
    krebscabbage Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do both, I am still too heavy to jog for more than a few minutes, so I alternate. When walking though, I do increase the incline so my HR stays up. I hope to be able to jog the whole 30 mins one day!
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.5mph at a high incline for 4-5 minutes then I sprint at 8.7mph at a little incline for 30 seconds and repeat for 20-25 minutes.
  • KimL122
    KimL122 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I run 3 days and walk 2 days at 4.2 mph with the incline up to 10.5 and it's a good workout
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I usually run on the treadmill. I especially love doing HIIT on the treadmill.
  • curls22207
    curls22207 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i have absolutely terrible knees, so running on anything more than an elliptical machine is a no-go. i usually get the bulk of my workout on an elliptical type machine, and then do a brisk walk (usually try for speeds of 3.5-4.0 mph) for a good 10-20 minutes, depending on how much i have been able to do on the elliptical. :]
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Both. Mostly about 4 mph. With some incline.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Walk. I don't run anymore. My trainer says I'll ruin my knees at my weight. I do have a bad knee so I gotta be careful about that. >.<