Food suggestions for low carb diet

Options
2»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    browse some vegetarian sites for recipe "sides" ideas. i'm not suggesting you go vegetarian, but there are so many delicious recipes that can easily be a side or a meal that are low-carb /high fiber that can be incorporated into a meat-eater's diet.

you'll be surprised!!

try vegetariantoday.com, plantbasedonabudge.com or http://www.cleaneatingmag.com for ideas!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    speghetti squash and meat sauce
    almonds
    cabbage instead of rice in asian dishes
    I can't live w/o 85% dark chocolate low in sugars and carbs :)

Good luck!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

So then as a nutritionist you've never heard of diabetes, insulin resistance or PCOS? Low carb is a way of life for many and can be very healthy and easily sustainable.

I thank low carb for my loss of hypertension, depression, near perfect cholesterol panel, and over 100lbs of weight loss. But you know, unhealthy and unsustainable.

My absolute favorite low carb item is taco salad. A lot of lettuce, 1/2lb 93% meat, taco seasoning, diced peppers, tomatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    My Faves are:

Almonds
    Sunflower Kernals
    Fresh Veggies
    Chicken
    Steak
    Bacon!!
    Turkey Sasuage
    Lettuce wrap with most any kind of meat
    Lettuce wrap cheese burger
    Cheese!!
    The ocassional fruit

I aim for no more than 80 carbs a day feel free to add me to check out my diary. My body doesnt like carbs and this is very sustainable to me I get way more fresh veggies in eating like this than I ever did before. Just go for what works for you!!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Almonds
    Peanut butter
    Peanuts
    Nuts
    Meat
    Pork rinds
    Sf jello
    shiratake noodles
    Chicken/ meat/
    Cheese
    Quest bars
    Low carb tortillas w laughing cow cheese
    Unsweetend almond milk
    Whipped cream
    Cream cheese w celery or jicama
    Avocados
    Walden farms products
    Bacon
    Slim jims
    Eggs/ omlets
    Soynut butter
    Yogurt fage
    Flaxseed muffin
    Flaxseed cracker
    Pickles
    Hamburgers
    String cheese
    Gum
    Diet soda
    Crystal light
    Broccili
    Cauliflower
    Salad

I dunno I'm just throwing out what I normally eat... Feel free to add me I follow a lc lifestyle
  • callhimrodneyafterdave
    Options
    Almonds
    Peanut butter
    Peanuts
    Nuts
    Meat
    Pork rinds
    Sf jello
    shiratake noodles
    Chicken/ meat/
    Cheese
    Quest bars
    Low carb tortillas w laughing cow cheese
    Unsweetend almond milk
    Whipped cream
    Cream cheese w celery or jicama
    Avocados
    Walden farms products
    Bacon
    Slim jims
    Eggs/ omlets
    Soynut butter
    Yogurt fage
    Flaxseed muffin
    Flaxseed cracker
    Pickles
    Hamburgers
    String cheese
    Gum
    Diet soda
    Crystal light
    Broccili
    Cauliflower
    Salad

I dunno I'm just throwing out what I normally eat... Feel free to add me I follow a lc lifestyle

wow thanks, plenty of foods to pick from :)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    beef, veal, chicken, pork, turkey, venison, boar etc.
    milk, cheese, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, quark, paneer, feta etc
    nuts, beans, pulses etc.
    whey, soy, casein protein shakes.
    :D
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Thanks for the response, im not cutting carbs completely out of my diet but just trying to keep it between 40-70 per day

I have been eating plenty of meats and fish but I finding stuff to go with is what I have been finding hard as you normally have rice/potatoes/pasta and all are high in carbs!

sorry didn't see this before.

for noodles/spaghetti - shiritake noodles (from websites like japancentre) or use butternut squash to make spaghetti.

for rice - boil up some cauliflower then stick it in a food processor - surprisingly good.

swede/turnip chips are a good alternative and you could mabey try yams for potatoes (haven't tried them myself) and of course there are sweet potatoes - i think they are just wrong tho.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    just had a nosy at your diary, if you loose the cereal in the morning you could prob get a way with a wee bit of rice or tatties at night. bacon & eggs :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I like turkey chili without the beans....I add zucchini, red peppers, mushrooms, etc.

I also make sheppards pie with mashed cauliflower on top instead of potatoes. I put the extra in those single serving tin 'takeout' containers and freeze them for later.

I'll also use spaghetti squash in lieu of pasta for sauces, and will make cauliflower 'rice' for things like butter chicken, stir fries, etc. so easy to do. You can google all kinds of recipes.
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tropywife1010
    Options
    I'm trying to find good sides to go with my proteins at dinner. I'm having leftover turkey meatloaf tonight (that I added a lot of veggies too it), balancing it with some creamed spinach and a tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil salad. To me finding some good sides to go with dinners has been the more challenging part of going low carb. I do allow myself 2 whole grain carb choices a day- my definition of low carb may not be classic but it's a whole lot better than I was doing and weight is coming off nicely this week.
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, im not cutting carbs completely out of my diet but just trying to keep it between 40-70 per day

I have been eating plenty of meats and fish but I finding stuff to go with is what I have been finding hard as you normally have rice/potatoes/pasta and all are high in carbs!

I'm a low-carb girl, and the first couple of weeks were the toughest because I thought I was going to get bored with every side being lettuce or broccoli, (other sad vegetable) BUT no more! Here are a few things that can help you feel like your meal is more meal-like and that you don't feel like you're missing something.

1. Cauliflower: grind it in food processor/blender, nuke it in a microwave for a couple of minutes and you have "rice". I use it for when I make curry, and I'm going to see how it works in a paella. There are recipes online about making it a "pizza" crust. And you can cook it and puree it with a FoC and some garlic and herbs and it's "like" mashed potatoes.

2. Mushrooms have really been clutch for me. I love them, so roasting some in the oven with slices of onions, and having that as a side has been perfect. There are so many different types of wonderful fungi out there.

3. Making a vegetable the star of the dish as opposed to the meat can work wonders because it makes you be more creative in what you put on your plate.

4. some websites I like for recipe ideas:
    - http://nomnompaleo.com/recipeindex
    - http://www.health-bent.com/paleo-diet-recipes
    - http://everydaypaleo.com/category/food/

Hope this helps you on your journey. :smile:
  • icanhaztp
    icanhaztp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Check out cavemanketo.com and ibreatheimhungry.com, lots of great low carb recipes.
  • Alish1974
    Alish1974 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For the record, a quote from my surgeon "carbohydrates are not your friends". He's a little more than a nutritionist. My primary care provider agrees. You're doing just fine with your 40-70 carbs a day, they are pretty reflective of my goals as well. I can credit my low carb lifestyle with dropping my borderline hypertension to normal levels and bringing my A1C down tremendously. I eat meat, poultry, pork, fish, nuts and legumes all of the time and my cholesterol readings are very good. I agree that you do need to allow high quality carbohydrates in your diet but by no means should they be your staple. A couple of products I really like are Mission low carb tortillas and Dreamfields pasta.
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    We have a Low carb forum on here also since no one suggested that, great bunch of people like minded etc! Just a warning most MFP users are anti Low Carb just a fair friendly warning :)!

My favorit thing right now is Taco salad with all the fixins sour cream/ranch some salsa and cheese god dont forget the cheese ;)!!

Meat is all grass fed but usually I get the fatest cuts out there like rib eye and what not.

I eat alot of cabbage right now since my body really wants it lol. I cook it up with some onions and butter and im set! The only real things I stay away from with the veggies are corn/potatoes since they are a tad to starchy but other then that I go full out on mixing my veggies up :)!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Also check out the Atkins site. You don't need to follow their plan (although it's gotten a lot better in recent years) but they have a great list of low carb foods (look at all of phases 1 - 3) and a great recipe database, too.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-1/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-2/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx
    http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-3/What-You-Can-Eat-in-this-Phase.aspx

http://www.atkins.com/Recipes.aspx
  • rhondagraymond
    Options
    I went on the Dukan diet in August last year when I had 23 pounds to lose. It’s a low carb diet [ http://www.dukandiet.com/ ] that is divided into 4 stages. The first 2 are entirely focused on proteins and during this time we’re encouraged to eat healthy proteins (meat, fish, eggs and veggies). I lost the weight AND I never got bored of the diet while I was on it. Why don’t you take a look at it?