100 Colonoscopies

Options

Replies

• zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised at how "easy" the prep was. I made sure the liquid was very cold and added the cherry flavoring to it so the taste, while not as good as a mediocre shiraz, was better than gatorade (in my opinion!) I woke up slightly during the procedure and was fascinated by my view of my insides! Unfortunately, I went back to sleep before I could see very much. Had 2 polyps removed in various pre-cancerous stages so I will be back in 3 years.

Definitely not as bad as I was projecting!
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am only 46, can't get one til age 50, according to insurance....but I have a QUESTION !

When they do a colonoscopy, they first do an enema I think? Has anyone noticed a weight loss after a colonoscopy?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I am only 46, can't get one til age 50, according to insurance....but I have a QUESTION !

When they do a colonoscopy, they first do an enema I think? Has anyone noticed a weight loss after a colonoscopy?

You are given a solution to drink (prescription) prior to the day of the procedure (or whatever the instructions are for day-of procedures) - this is to clean out your large intestine.... There is no significant weight-loss because this solution only cleans/clears out the large intestine...you lose fecal material and wasted solution - you dont lose body weight....ever
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Add me to your list. I'm having mine in the a.m. :(
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I had one 2 years ago. Do I count/
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I procrastinated for a long time, until my sister in law got stage 4 colon cancer. She too, did not get a colonoscopy done in time. She was 52 when diagnosed, and died about 2-3 years after.

I put it off because I was afraid of being hungry. Let me reassure everyone that you can eat plenty of chicken broth and gelatin and you will be absolutely full all day. It is not that bad at all.

Ruth
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this counts ..I lost my Mom to colon cancer I've had 3 colonoscoies so far and will continue to have one every 5 years..I think this is a great topic and I hope you get your 100
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    My father died from colon cancer seven years ago. I had a colonoscopy last July and am on the 5 year plan after they removed two polyps. My husband has had his too and is due for one now. Got to get that scheduled for sure.
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I think I am number 28... lol

My father survived colon cancer so I totally support this!

I had one a few years ago (precautionary because of my dad's history) when a Dr. was trying to diagnose an issue I was having (turned out to be gallstones). I don't need another colonoscopy for several years, but I will definitely get them when I need to! :smile:
  • teach54
    teach54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My mom had colon cancer, so I've had regular colonoscopies since age 40 - 6 total. My doctor has me on the 3-year plans since he found polyps the last two times. I won't be due again until 2014.
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,244 Member
    Options
    I guess I am 29. My maternal grandfather died of colon cancer. I should have had my first at 50...three years ago. Of course this is something really easy to put off. But count me in,,,this needs to be done.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    I can't really add to your count, but. I'm 55. Had my first one at 52. Will have another at 60 or so. Go do it if you haven't. It's easy, not painful, or even embarrassing. The purge the day before is the hardest part and it's no worse than some people's "cleanse" on this site. Why would you not do something that can save your life for so little effort?
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Had one last Wednesday - does that count? I figured i'm over 40, my grandmother had colon cancer, i should get checked. Everything's fine. As many say, the prep is worse than the actual procedure. I don't even remember the procedure, due to sedative.
  • kafergie
    kafergie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I count I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at the age of 24, so had a colonoscopy then and another 5 years after (about 29 or 30). Have to have one every 5 years to keep an eye on things.

Crohn's runs in my family and my colitis is pancolitis, so it is watched to see if it jumps to Crohn's.

Colonoscopies are super important, keep them coming!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i haven't been to the doctor since 2004.

if i ever decide to go again, i'll be sure to schedule one.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    wow. i thought this thread was about someone going for a record.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've had one already, about 9 years ago. I should have had two more by now, but without health insurance,its a no go. My father died of colon cancer that if he had had one, probably could have been caught in time. If you're able to, please have one! It's not the most fun thing in the world, but the alternative really sucks!
  • C00lCountry
    C00lCountry Posts: 282
    Options
    Trying to figure out how to pay for the thing first.
    Doctor wants me to get one and I feel I could use one to figure out issues I have going on.
    I plan to get one soon as figure out money issue.
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    I've lost the count that your on so I don't know what # I am but I had one last feb. My grandmother died of colon cancer & my Dad passed away a year &1/2 ago from colon cancer. I' on the 5 yr. plan because the found a polyp. :(
    CANCER SUCKS!!!!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled to have another one next Jan. I have already had 2 and I have to have one every other year. FUN FUN! But very necessary.