I'm starting to feel disgruntled by some members...help!

Options

Replies

• Kairunz
    Kairunz Posts: 51
    Options
    I am often deeply concerned by the advise people give on the message board. Sometimes it's downright dangerous. I was talking to my wife the other day about how safe a message board is where people with no real nutrition training, read a few articles and spew out advice.

This is why you always check with your doctor or a nutrionalist:)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Honestly I really don't have energy to worry if others' goal is good or bad. I am ony focusing on how to achieve mine, which could be unrealistic to many of you. LOL
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I boot such Darwin awards from my friend list, BLOCK them as well as fix my forum setting to IGNORE USER.
    ED's have no business on MFP; they need an ED support community geared toward addressing their needs moderated by a professional.
    Nobody here can help them.:frown:
  • albayin
    Options
    Unless the person with an ED is set to 'maintain' or even 'gain', they have no place here at all. =| I get very frustrated when I see someone has set their goal weight is under 100 lbs. =( It is insulting to those that really do have a lot to lose..

You can't be serious, can you? Are they really insulting you those who set their goal under 100 lb?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm puzzled as to why seeing the unrealistic or anorexic goals of someone with an eating disorder would cause you to question your own goals. Are you that easily influenced?
  • mzfiyaa
    mzfiyaa Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    maybe u need to change ur friends
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Reporting a post is a good idea. Too bad we can't do the same with many of the media's messages.

Although I did hear about a young lady who took 'Seventeen' to task (and won) about their pictures.
  • albayin
    Options

I totally agree! I am 5'8"- 5'9" and the goal that my doctor and I set is for me to be 150 lbs. However, I see a lot of girls on here at my height that weigh 130....then I start thinking maybe I should change my goal :(

I'm 5'9" and actually looked like a drug addict when I got down to 174, so it's different for everyone really, but the closer you get to the goal your Dr. set for you, the better you'll be able to determine if that is right for you or not.

I'm 5'9" and I'm pretty sure that 180 is the lowest that I want to go. It's odd how different people of the same height have different goals : ) but that's the beauty of it- we're all our own creatures.

:) for those with goal of 200 lb might think yours is "unrealistic". I think it's all relative. I believe there was a similar thread going on a couple of days ago. That OP was ranting about people who want to lose just 10 or 20 pounds...
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and my goal is 175. That's realistic for me. If I get down a little lower, that's great, but never I let anyone else's goals influence my own. You have to do what is right for you, not someone else.

pretty much the same here, i am 5'10 and my goal is 170. I can't speak for everyone, but when i was in my 20's i got down to 127 and the modeling agencies told me to lose AT LEAST another 10-15 lbs. i got to the point where i was eating 500 or fewer calories a day. It took a health issue brought on by the extreme diet to snap me out of it. I think alot of it has to do with age, being comfortable with yourself and not bowing to the pressure that modeling and fashion industry sets for us.
  • albayin
    Options
    I am 5'10" and my goal is 175. That's realistic for me. If I get down a little lower, that's great, but never I let anyone else's goals influence my own. You have to do what is right for you, not someone else.

pretty much the same here, i am 5'10 and my goal is 170. I can't speak for everyone, but when i was in my 20's i got down to 127 and the modeling agencies told me to lose AT LEAST another 10-15 lbs. i got to the point where i was eating 500 or fewer calories a day. It took a health issue brought on by the extreme diet to snap me out of it. I think alot of it has to do with age, being comfortable with yourself and not bowing to the pressure that modeling and fashion industry sets for us.

You were in the wrong business. Seriouly I think these modeling agencies and film casting are simply murderers!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Unless the person with an ED is set to 'maintain' or even 'gain', they have no place here at all. =| I get very frustrated when I see someone has set their goal weight is under 100 lbs. =( It is insulting to those that really do have a lot to lose..

What's insulting is that you think you have some kind of right to judge other people. They may not be walking the same path as you, but theirs may be longer. Think before you type.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Diet down the most comfortable and sustainable way you can.
    And dont worry about others!
    We are all different Shapes and sizes!
    The #1 thing to always remember is EAT YOUR GIVEN CALORIES!
    If you are 5'3" in the 20-40 age range and work out 3x a week you should be netting about 1600+ daily.

I have a post where you can figure out your TDEE if it helps:
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

And dont beat yourself up if you go over a day or eat a HoHo!
    Chances are it wont act to negatively towards your goal.

In fact most "whooshes" are preceded by a slight binge/cheat/spike day.

PM me if you have any Qs about TDEE or BMR and i'll help as best I can!

Hugs!
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Although being here is more a personal decision that has nothing to do with other people goals or methods, what i never understand is why people Do support them if they are obviously wrong, but I understand one reason is we don't want other to tell us 'you're just being jealous' when is more like 'i kinda care about it'...nevermind.

I do got sometimes a little discourages when I almost die on a treadmill for 30 mins to burn 250 cals and people post they burned 1400 to 1500 cals daily on an elliptical (and they still don't loose that much periodically even eating acceptable)

I hate the elliptical I feel is a cheat device, really...not that I take the calorie meter on the treadmill so seriously, but at least it feels I earned them haha.

Good day everyone.
  • albayin
    Options
    If you are 5'3" in the 20-40 age range and work out 3x a week you should be netting about 1600+ daily.

>>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 <---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

Hugs!

wow....you are seriouly promoting your belief everywhere you can. There's nothing wrong with what you are saying but I find it ..not so relavant to the subject here. :)
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I have a lot to lose, and I'm not insulted. They made different life choices than me. They lived and ate differently than me. They are making different choices now and into the future. Why would that bother me? Now, if they are sick or suffering and still trying to be that perfect size...I would be bothered out of basic human compassion and empathy, not out of jealousy.

If they are not glorifying ED or flaming/trolling, they have as much right to post here as everyone else does.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    If sites like this had been around (well, if widespread internet had existed at all!) when I was a teenager and first trying to lose weight, I might not have ended up starving myself like an ignorant fool. I think this site may help some people before they develop lifelong bad habits or worse.

Nicely stated. I have an ED in the past, and MFP is helping me stay on track and not binge/purge. I like it for the accountability, the support, and the ease of use (most of the time).

I don't understand, though...why would you change your weight goal based on someone else's goal? Everyone has a different body type. I'm 5'6" and there is no WAY I could every weight less than my goal weight because I have a really large chest. (Just an example, not bragging by any means) :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Hugs!

wow....you are seriouly promoting your belief everywhere you can. There's nothing wrong with what you are saying but I find it ..not so relavant to the subject here. :)

All apologies!
    I had several windows up and posted the wrong one.
    *kindly bows out*

Stupid 27' iMac!
    =D
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    People with eating disorders (defined as anorexia or similar, I assume, not as eating too much) may find help here just like we all find help here, with support and information.

As for someone of a similar height wanting to weigh less, bone structure can make a big difference in how much fat a person is carrying at a given weight. A small boned person like me at 145 pounds, for example, is entirely different from a big boned person at 145, even if we're the same height. So comparing your goal weight with another person's is a bad idea.

I agree with Mara.

Original poster, you're questioning how healthy it is for others to be here yet you're the one that is being influenced by it. Is that healthy?

from your post -
    Also, how healthy is it for people with eating disorders to be on this site? This is an honest, curious question because I know in some cases it can help people really do what is healthy and right, but I know it can also make others go overboard.

Sorry for the rant, but I just had to do it :)
  • Missdjslim
    Missdjslim Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am healthiest at size 6-8, which for me at 5'9", is about 138 lbs. I'm making 140 lbs be my goal...but, God knows. I'll be thrilled at 150, too!! Be healthy and stay true to yourself. YOU life in your skin..no-one else does. Healthy usually means sexy!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    So don't read them. Problem solved.