Chris Powell's 7 day carb cycling

Options
I am currently reading Chris Powell's book Choose to Lose. I am strongly considering following his method of the 7 day carb cycle. It sounds like a winner to me! It also promotes natural foods over processed foods and/or foods with artificial sweetners. Has anyone tried this lifestyle change already? Success or not?

Replies

• sxyfitmomandwife
    sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I learned about controlling carbs while I was going to school for my nutrition degree. I lost 6lbs in one week. I haven't read Chris Powells book but Good Luck!!
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I read a book on carb cycling and really wanted to try it (mostly for the cheat day), but I couldn't get past day 2 on the plan (the no carbs except for vegetables). I can live without bread or potatoes, but giving up cereal is really hard and I need fruit every day or I feel sick. Good luck to you!
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also just read his book and am going to start next sunday. It seems doable. And I can still eat fruit :)
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    Just started this on Sat. It can be difficult eating with the family... I'm sure it will take come time to tweek... This is day 3... I have my fingers crossed...
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I havent read the book, but have DRASTICALLY cut out processed foods ( which in turn seems to be a low carb diet). No sodas, breads, or potatoes. My energy level is so much better than before. I do not crash in the afternoon like I did before cutting out the carbs.

I missed bread and my sodas for the first couple of weeks...I dont even think about them anymore. Good Luck!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of reading it this weekend but the Amazon reviews scared me off. Many said it was too complex and wasn't explained well enough to use on your own recipes, just the ones in the book?
  • angeedee
    angeedee Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for 3 weeks. I did awesome the first 2 weeks and then had a work trip where I didn't have a refrigerator and had to eat out for lunch and dinner. I actually still lost 2 inches, but gained 3 pounds. I didn't exercise either - so that contributed to it. I'm back to it today - so starting my 4th week. I've lost 18.5 inches and 5 pounds. I really like it. I've never been able to stick to low carb diets because I always feel hungry. I love that you can eat cereal or carbs every day for breakfast - that was really always my issue. Eating out is tough - but I try to do that on just high carb days. I'm really enjoying this plan!
  • BigRedgw2010
    BigRedgw2010 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There are good carbs and bad carbs. I learned which ones are the good ones when I competed in bodybuilding years ago.

Good luck.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've looked at carb cycling, maybe I'll get the book off of amazon, I just reduced my carbs to 30% of my diet and have already noticed a loss in inches, so I would love to try something that would continue to bring the inches off.
  • mayjoelhc
    mayjoelhc Posts: 6
    Options
    Carb's are my problem so maybe I will take a look at it, thanks for sharing.
  • savannahjo92
    Options
    I am doing it now!!
    I love the book. I read it in 2 days (which is so unlike me bc i can't finish a book ever)
    I think it's a really great way to look at it and makes it wayyy easier! My free day is tomorrow.
    This is only my first week so I don't have any progress reports to tell you. But I am enjoying it so far.
  • Ifly360
    Ifly360 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the ebook...I was wondering how anyone who has tried this plan did or is doing? For some reason the book made me believe that there was a forum where you could exchange ideas on meals and communicate with others on the plan, but I guess I am wrong. Looking for some feedback on what things worked well for you and what you would change....thanks!
  • BugzieR
    Options
    I read the book about a month ago, and thought, this would be nice to try and then forgot about it. After doing weight watchers for 3 weeks, I said screw this. I typed out every meal plan and put them into a presentation order, so my meals are set for the week. Talking, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. It really makes it so easy. My first week, I lost 5.7 pounds on the carb cycling. I do not weigh in until next tuesday, (its hard to stay away from the scale) but I am doing it. I feel fantastic, I really am not hungry. I have stayed away from soda, and chips my total down fall and I people have already started to notice. It makes me happy and I think this book really helped. Chris Powell is someone to me that has proved he can help you change your life, even if it is in a book. It just takes the dedication and time to do it. I am also working out 6 days a week, Cardio 6 days and weight training 3. I am hoping to lose 100 pounds total, however I don't think I can reach that goal within my time frame. I would like to lose another 30 pounds before Feb., but we will see. I am doing this to get healthy and prepare my body for a baby. I feel great and I am an average women with the same problem as you all do.. Good luck and let me know if anyone has question, I would be more then happy to help with motivation.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I read the book about a month ago, and thought, this would be nice to try and then forgot about it. After doing weight watchers for 3 weeks, I said screw this. I typed out every meal plan and put them into a presentation order, so my meals are set for the week. Talking, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack and dinner. It really makes it so easy. My first week, I lost 5.7 pounds on the carb cycling. I do not weigh in until next tuesday, (its hard to stay away from the scale) but I am doing it. I feel fantastic, I really am not hungry. I have stayed away from soda, and chips my total down fall and I people have already started to notice. It makes me happy and I think this book really helped. Chris Powell is someone to me that has proved he can help you change your life, even if it is in a book. It just takes the dedication and time to do it. I am also working out 6 days a week, Cardio 6 days and weight training 3. I am hoping to lose 100 pounds total, however I don't think I can reach that goal within my time frame. I would like to lose another 30 pounds before Feb., but we will see. I am doing this to get healthy and prepare my body for a baby. I feel great and I am an average women with the same problem as you all do.. Good luck and let me know if anyone has question, I would be more then happy to help with motivation.

Carb cycling... what a waste of time. You will not lose any more weight doing it.
  • cardonut
    cardonut Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll be starting tomorrow and looking for buddies and the same plan. are you still on the plan?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I started a cyclic ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting about 4 days ago. Although unless you're weight training I don't really see any use for carb cycling. I would imagine people would binge out on crappy foods because "the diet allows it". I would only do carb cycling if I had hit a weight loss plateau.
  • losingmybehind
    losingmybehind Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I began a carb cycling program a week ago....the results on the scale thus far are phenomenal, and not really having any trouble complying with the program. BUT, I am having sleep disturbances....wondering if my blood sugar is dropping too low. A bite of a banana and 10 almonds before bed seems to help. Anybody else have this problem?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I began a carb cycling program a week ago....the results on the scale thus far are phenomenal, and not really having any trouble complying with the program. BUT, I am having sleep disturbances....wondering if my blood sugar is dropping too low. A bite of a banana and 10 almonds before bed seems to help. Anybody else have this problem?

Yeah, I was sleeping about 3 hours a night the past 3 or 4 days. Although monday night I slept about 8 hours straight which was a relief since I had to workout tuesday. I generally have sleep problems anyway.
  • BugzieR
    Options
    I know you said I wouldn't lose anymore weight, however I lost 30 pounds in 46 days.. I have since stopped for the moment but I have a workout buddy I will be going with 5 days a week. I workout quite a bit and I have followed it to the letter. I will be back on it on Monday and I plan on losing another 20-40 lbs before I get pregnant and I will be very happy!!

I would burn anywhere from 1200 to 1500 calories and then I would do strength training 3-4 days a week. I never felt better, and I can't wait to get back to it.

I recommend it for anyone that wants to get healthy and lose weight the healthy way..
  • lexristor
    lexristor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started it last week. Not seeing a difference just very cranky and tiered on low carb days. Trying to figure out how many carbs are on low carb days and how many on high. I don't think I have it right. I did the exercises for the first time this morning when I woke up and it did help get me some energy back.