8 Reasons your Weight Training Results SUCK.

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It's true! I never once thought I would end up looking like a man.

I went to a female MARINE for help. She told me women don't need to go over 15lbs.
    I never understood this reasoning. Are they seriously saying that mothers should no longer pick their child up after the age of 6 months because they are over 15lbs? Are they saying you should never carry groceries because the bags are over 15lbs? If not, then why the hell wouldn't you train people so that they are able to do the activies that they do in everyday normal life.. o.O

I absolutely respect anybody serving as a Marine, but Marine's are experts in warfare and kicking *kitten* on-behalf of our country, and in-general not personal training. They train well for what they need to do but it's not the same. Saying to not lift anything heavier than a specific weight amount is not a good recommendation. The weight one lifts is relative to their individual strength, not a hard-fast rule. What is a reasonable response is to lift "x"% of one's 1-rep max in that particular lift. For instance, if you're lifting reps of 5 then 80% of your 1RM is likely your target weight. Depending on the individual that could be 100lbs, 200lbs, 300lbs, etc.

We touched upon this in another thread. Lifting weight for consecutive reps of 20+ is not the same as lifting in the 1 to 5 rep zone; it doesn't build the same kind of strength. Now, that doesn't mean that there's not some specific applications for such a rep range (20+) but those are limited to certain movements and muscle groups. In-general, most powerlifting and olympic lifting movements are best at a 6RM or less. Now there are things like Repetition Effort lifting but that's part of a slightly more complicated lifting system. One or the other doesn't really "tone" or build better definition than the other, seeing muscle tone/definition is a function of diet; diet dictates your results.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I went to a female MARINE for help. She told me women don't need to go over 15lbs.
    I never understood this reasoning. Are they seriously saying that mothers should no longer pick their child up after the age of 6 months because they are over 15lbs? Are they saying you should never carry groceries because the bags are over 15lbs? If not, then why the hell wouldn't you train people so that they are able to do the activies that they do in everyday normal life.. o.O

:laugh: This made me LOL. Seriously, mothers have been picking up their children without lifting weight for as along as there have been mothers and children.

If you want to lift weights, lift weights. But it's not as if everyone that doesn't is some weakling that can't function in life.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks for sharing!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift weights, lift weights. But it's not as if everyone that doesn't is some weakling that can't function in life.

LOL, true. If you look at people raised on farms that do farm work day-in-day-out or various construction, steel, or iron workers that have to move heavy **** all days long for 40+ hours a week, yup they are strong.
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I found this VERY inteteresting. Thanks for posting.
  • Charlayray
    Charlayray Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AndH
    AndH Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Bump! Really good article
  • chiselle
    chiselle Posts: 21
    Options
    very interesting article! :smile:
  • pinkyslippers
    pinkyslippers Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

:laugh: This made me LOL. Seriously, mothers have been picking up their children without lifting weight for as along as there have been mothers and children.

Sure makes it easier though. Last summer I was trying to brace by then 4 year old for the fact that I wouldn't be able to pick her up much longer even though I could still easily pick up her younger siblings. It was getting pretty hard to pick her up and carry her, and throwing her around for play (like I did with the other kids) just wasn't happening. Now she's bigger, but I'm stronger. Picking her up is easy and I can even play with her again.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shadshad
    shadshad Posts: 58
    Options
    Nice article
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Awesome
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I don't think my weight training results suck (despite the title of this thread). :laugh:

I love lifting and have been doing it regularly for years. It's a wonderful way to exercise, in my opinion, and very rewarding in so many ways. The results do not suck as far as I can tell. The results of my lifting are that I am stronger and more capable, I feel younger than my current age of 64, and (for me only) my routine of lifting and stretching has almost eliminated many of the aches and pains that I associated with aging. I don't think that any of that sucks.

I love the way I feel during and after lifting, just as a child loves recess. While lifting I listen to my body and have figured out a routine that works for me. I tune out the world and focus on perfecting my form, on what I am doing, and on my breathing and how my body responds. I lift regularly and sanely, and challenge myself when my present weight levels get too easy. Gradually I have been able to lift more and more. I love the way that my body works better in everyday life now that I am stronger.

I love the fact that lifting is such a very individual sport, in which I am only competing with myself. I love the personal victories when sometimes I can exceed my own personal best.

Sorry if this is kind of an "Ode to Lifting"! It is my favorite sport and I just had to write about why.
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump. Amazing article :flowerforyou: Thanks for the post!
  • wowmom23
    wowmom23 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!