Eating Healthy...on a VERY limited budget

Options

Replies

• jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Bump always can use ideas myself.

Also if Milk is on sale it freezes well for those of you who didn't know. Just let it set out and dethaw in the fridge. Then give it a good shake and you are good to go.

brilliant! i had no idea!
  • channa007
    channa007 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    1. Canned Tuna. 40g protein/can. Buy tuna in spring water or brine. Don't worry about the mercury: 1 can chunk light tuna per day is safe, read this.

2. Whole Eggs. 7g protein/egg. Lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away if you have bad cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol isn't bound to blood cholesterol, and the yolk contains half the protein and vitamins A/D/E.

3. Whey. 1 scoop ON whey is 24g protein/30g serving. At 2 scoops/day, a 10lbs bag will last 10 weeks for 84,99$. You don't get cheaper than this. But don't rely on whey only because it's cheaper. Vary your protein intake.

4. Ground Beef. 25g protein/100g. Buy 80% ground beef and rinse the fat if lean beef is too expensive. You can reduce the fat content by as much as 50%. Read this free pdf on how to rinse ground beef.

5. Milk. 30g protein/liter milk. If you're a skinny guy, want to gain weight fast and don't bother gaining some fat, drink 1 gallon raw milk per day. Don't worry about the saturated fat. Stay away from milk if you want to lose fat.

6. Frozen Chicken Breast. 25g protein/100g. Cook the frozen chicken breast using a George Foreman Grill. Consume the chicken breast within 2 months of freezing for optimal tenderness & taste.

7. Cottage Cheese. 12g protein/100g. Cottage cheese is more expensive in Europe than in the US. We buy Quark cheese: 10g protein per 100g, cheaper than cottage cheese and a better taste.

8. Ground Turkey. 25g protein/100g. Expensive cuts are made from turkey breast. Cheaper cuts can contain skin, which increases the fat content. Rinse the fat like for ground beef using this method.

9. Canned Mackerel. 23g protein/100g. Canned mackerel is high in omega-3, contains less mercury than canned tuna, and tastes a lot better too.

10. Calves Liver. 20g protein/100g. Low fat and nutrient dense. Contrary to what you might believe, liver is safe. Try one of these recipes.

Buy generic food. Buy in bulk to get discounts. Freeze everything.

S – Seasonal Fruits, Veggies and Fish

Eating what is in season, whether it is fruits and vegetables or fish is a good way to cut down on food costs. Produce, in particular, is fresher, has more nutrients, tastes better (so it may be more appealing) and costs less when it is in season.

M – Meatless Meals

Making at least one day a week a meatless day is a good way to cut costs. Making more than one day a week a meatless day and eating healthy protein sources like beans, eggs, milk and alternative proteins (soy, tofu, whole grains) can significantly reduce food costs.

A – Ads and Coupons

Keeping an eye out for the weekly store ads, shopping the sales, stocking up when possible and using coupons for foods that you would normally buy are all ways to reduce food costs.

R – Reuse and Recycle

Buying small plastic containers to use for partitioning food and making your own healthy snacks helps reduce food costs. Making individual sizes of applesauce or other fruits for the kids to take to school cuts costs. One big way of reducing beverage costs is to purchase an aluminum water bottle and BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottled Water) instead of buying expensive bottled water.

Many stores and recycling centers give money back for recycling bottles and containers, a way of getting some money back for the containers in which the food comes packaged.

T – Trim the Take Out Meals

One big cost of meals is eating out. Decreasing the number of take outs and increasing the number of meals eaten at home, can reduce food bills and if you are fixing the right types of foods at home. Cooking foods like chili, soup, tacos and stir-fry are ways of being more economical eating in rather than eating out.

B – Beans and Legumes

Beans and legumes are economical sources of non-meat protein. They are also good sources of fiber. Mixing beans with rice makes for an inexpensive, complete protein. There are many different ethnic dishes that combine beans and rice.

U – Underscore Calcium and Milk Foods

Milk and milk products, like yogurt are good sources of calcium and protein. One way of extending a milk budget is to buy non-fat dry milk and substitute it in recipes for milk sources. Milk can be extended by mixing regular milk with equal amounts of dry milk, helping to stretch a food budget.

D – Divide Your Own Snacks

Buying foods in bulk or at least larger amounts and then measuring and dividing them into smaller packages (snack sized bags) is a more economical way of creating the 100 calorie packaging, popcorn bags or veggie snack packs for the kids. Add a plastic container with salad dressing and you have a veggie dip pack.

G – Grains and Breads

Whole grains, like brown rice, oatmeal and barley, are good sources of fiber, which are more filling than high fat foods. Eating more filling foods can result in eating less food, so eating whole grain, high-fiber foods is a healthy way to manage weight.

E – Eat Fruits and Veggies

Focusing on eating more fruits and vegetables is not only healthier for you, but eating more fruits and vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned) can be good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as being much more economical than other food options.

T – Try Something New

Make it a point to look around the produce section and watch the sales to discover a new food that your family has not tried. A different type of vegetable, fruit, beans or fish that is in season could be a fun, healthy option. Check around the grocery store for recipes.
  • knighthood77
    Options
    Great topic. I've been mixing frozen veggies in with everything lately. Some frozen veggies, onions, and pork ramen noodles is really inexpensive. I occasionally only use half the seasoning pack to cut down on the fat and sodium.
  • kristinrayerootes
    kristinrayerootes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to echo Aldi. Produce is so much cheaper there than anywhere else.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump! These suggestions are going to make our bank account VERY happy :)
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I have 5 to feed and am also on a tight budget. I've found that growing my own veggies helps immensely. Zucchini yields have been terrific this year! I also planted green beans, cucumbers, baby carrots, yellow peppers (small yield though next year I will put them into individual pots), jalapeno peppers, and tomatoes. (I will do mixed greens next year too!) I have a very small garden (because its experimental) only about 6ft by 3 ft, but I grow everything vertically. I assume that everything could be grown in pots or planters of some kind. I've hardly purchased any veggies this year, its been great!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Bulk bags of frozen veggies..

Buy the meats that are on sale cuz the sale by date is tomorrow and freeze them

Bananas are usually cheap

There are always coupons for yogurt

Chop your own lettuce
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Some really thoughtful ideas.
  • mommaPeach72
    Options
    Is there an Aldi food store near you? This is a super cheap grocery chain that is world wide. They now have a special brand in store called Fit & Active. All those items are healthier than the regular alternative. Also, the entire store doesn't carry regular name brands and therefore are super cheap all the time. No sales, no gimmicks and no coupons. Just a good bargain every day.

We do have Aldi, and I love their stuff. You can get more for your buck if you are careful. It's getting harder to do anymore, though. I should have mentioned that I'm diabetic, so low carb is what I aim for. The usual fillers like pasta and potatoes just won't work. Thanks for the reply!!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic hints and ideas for the OP. I would like to add one thing that is great for meals on a budget, and that would be that if you don't already do it, try to have a minimum of 1 meatless evening meal a day. Beans and lentils are great sources of protein and fiber and are so versatile when combined with rice.

Examples:

bean and rice burritos
    lentil and rice burritos
    bean soups (the varieties are endless)
    lentil soups (same as above)
    stews
    casseroles
    mash the beans to make your own bean dip
  • mommaPeach72
    Options
    I have 5 to feed and am also on a tight budget. I've found that growing my own veggies helps immensely. Zucchini yields have been terrific this year! I also planted green beans, cucumbers, baby carrots, yellow peppers (small yield though next year I will put them into individual pots), jalapeno peppers, and tomatoes. (I will do mixed greens next year too!) I have a very small garden (because its experimental) only about 6ft by 3 ft, but I grow everything vertically. I assume that everything could be grown in pots or planters of some kind. I've hardly purchased any veggies this year, its been great!

Well Done!!! Oh, I want a garden so bad!! I just started utilizing the Farmer's Market that they have at our local library on Friday mornings. We got 4 zucchini, 4 yellow squash, 12oz of Raw Honey, a pound of jalapenos, and he got some baked goods all for around $15. I didn't think that was too shabby :) "He" is my hubby, of course...
  • jskill88
    jskill88 Posts: 5
    Options
    Don't just buy in bulk, but freeze in bulk also. You can cook a large batch of brown rice and freeze it in family-size portions that fit your family. Check the internet for healthy recipes from like-minded frugal families. For example, here is great recipe for making your own marinara sauce ( something like 6 quarts for less than 5 dollars). http://momonamission.me/?p=2234 also skinnytaste.com has some great meatless dishes. Stick to in-season veggies and fruits, they will always be the best bargain.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I shop sales a lot, especially on produce. Most produce can be frozen or dried, or incorporated into something and then frozen. Ie, this week strawberries were $1.25/lb, I bought 12 lbs and sliced/froze most of them. Peppers are $0.50/ea, I bought six, sliced them into strips, and put them in everything. Corn is $0.25/ea, bought a bunch and froze them. Etc etc. Some things are always well priced, like carrots, cucumbers, apples, bananas, and onions, and we always have a lot of them on hand.

For animal products I look for sales too. Of course, eating less animal products is cheaper. Even cutting meat out one day a week makes a difference. My grocery store often has sales on poultry and milk. This week milk was $1/gal (it's usually $4/ea here), so I bought four and stuck them in the freezer. I can sometimes find chicken for <$0.75/lb. Cheese is pretty much always expensive, so treat it like the fiscal/caloric splurge food that it is.

In bulk: beans, rice, oats, nuts, popcorn, potatoes, honey, peanut butter. Bread can be frozen, so if there's a whole wheat bread sale, buy lots. You can also make really good whole wheat bread for about $0.50/loaf.

Basically anything you make from scratch will be cheaper, and if you make large batches you can freeze portions and reduce your labor per item (bread is a good example of this: you can make 10 balls of dough in the same time as you make 1, and freeze them for fresh bread on demand). One of the most important tips when cutting down food costs is to avoid waste. Produce decays quickly and must be used; if you spent $4 on tomatoes and then they rotted, you wasted $4. Sounds obvious, bu it's a common problem.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Great! I also love going to the farmers market for raw honey, though I've never seen any with baked goods.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    oh and COUPONS COUPONS COUPONS!

look for food at walmart as well--lots of good deals. stock up when stuff is cheap that you use frequently--especially pantry staples.
  • mommaPeach72
    Options
    Great! I also love going to the farmers market for raw honey, though I've never seen any with baked goods.

I'm in the Middle of Nowhere Ohio...I think some people sell their Souls at the local Farmer's Markets here :wink: :laugh:
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

I had a garden last yr and it was wonderful. Im honestly thinking of doing it again next yr. I can grow all my own veggies and fruits...then Ill just have to buy meats at the store and some bread and thats it!!:) Def the way to go if you have a bit of space to do it in and it doesnt take alot of space either!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is great!! Thanks!
  • Rystmom
    Rystmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What awesome ideas you have shared!
    Aldi is the bomb for grocery shopping. I really like their fit and active line.