Do vitamins make you sick?

Options
This morning I took my usual multivitamin (A thru Z, womens I think) and a few minutes later while I was putting on my jeans I got extremely sick and had to sit down and close my eyes for ten minutes to keep myself from throwing up. Does this happen to anyone else? This doesnt often happen to me, but I read elsewhere vitamins can make you nauseous sometimes. Anyone have any luck combating it? I cant stop taking them and I hate to throw away the two bottles of them I got on sale for a great deal.

Replies

• mavsfan2009
    mavsfan2009 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Did you eat a decent meal before you took them? Did you drink a whole glass of water? In my opinion, those are the two MOST important things when taking any vitamin, especially a multivitamin...otherwise you'll probably get sick.
  • pr1ncesscandi
    Options
    If you eat before you take it, usually it will help the sick feeling. I can't take vitamins in the morning or I'm the same way. I take mine at night time, so maybe that would be an option for you as well.:happy:
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    I did stop taking them because they make me sick, and you should take them with food. It didn't work for me, but it might for you. :flowerforyou:
  • rachmj526
    rachmj526 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You could try taking them at night right before bed...I had to do that when I was pregnant. Or if you didn't take them with food, you could try that. I didn't have much of a problem with vitamins before being pregnant, but now no matter when I take them, they make me feel really sick. I've resorted to gummy vitamins. :laugh: ....along with a couple of separate things, such as calcium.

Hope that helps!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I have to take mine with a full meal so I usually wait and take it with lunch. All those vitamins and minerals in large doses at once can really do a number on your stomach.
  • LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    i eat kids vitamins too haha they are they only kind that dont make me sick
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    That's really interesting because the last two times I took my vitamins, I also felt really sick pretty soon after I took them. I figured I was just being silly or something else was going on, but I haven't taken them since then anyway. I would be very interested to know if the vitamins were the cause, or if it was just a coincidence.
  • niky1215
    Options
    That happens to me everytime I take my morning Multi-Vitamins. I always feel a little sick but I feel really sick if I haven't eaten breakfast and been drinking lots of water. One time I took one on an empty stomach and I actually threw up.
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    Flintstones chewables are the way to go! I have tried a lot of brands and many of them make me sick, ESPECIALLY the One-A-Day Women's formula, but generally do OK on childrens vitamins. No matter what brand, however, I try and avoid taking vitamins in the morning.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was taking women's one a day and I couldn't figure out why I was getting so nauseous, my doc said it has to do with the herd in them so I got a different one from a medicinal doctor, sorry I don't know the name of it!

~Leash :heart:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I've never had any issues with vitamins but when I burp after having taken my omega 3-6-9 supplements the fishy taste grosses me out and makes me want to puke. I'm probably going to switch over to the lemon flavoured ones when I finish the bottle.:laugh:
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've never had that problem, but I took those gummi vitamins once and had hives!
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    maybe I'll ask the doc next time I go in (not often, thanks to Uninted Health Care and my crappy pay). Thanks for all the great advice!

I usualy take all my morning pills with a glass of water, or half a glass. I suppose I should increase the water, try that, and if that doesnt work take it with lunch instead.

My big problem with eating breakfast is when I get up, I'm just not hungry at all. Food doesnt sound good, and I dont want to eat it. I ususaly just go to work and eat a banana, and I've gotten oatmeal too to have in the mornings. but still, i just have such a hard time eating in the morning. Usualy breakfast makes me sick. But I know I'm supposed ot eat it. Maybe I'll just bring my vitamins to work and eat em there when its lunch time.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Yes, vitamins totally make me sick. When I was pregnant, I had to take flintstone's chewables because my stomach couldn't handle the prenatal vitamins. :(

I know that Iron in particular can be very hard on the stomach. I had a really low iron count at one point and had to take about 6 iron pills per day- but they had to be spaced out just right, or they'd make me sick. I once was sick in the trash can at work because of iron pills.... how embarrassing!
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was going to post about the same topic!
    Even if I take my vitamin with food...I get soooo nauseated.

I'll try the chewables :)
  • supermom1114
    Options
    make sure you eat before taking vitamins. If the problem still persits look for one thats coated to dissolve in your intestine rather than your stomach(slow release) or chewables. Also consider taking your vitamins before bed when your stomach and metabolism is slower. Hope that helps!!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Yes...If i take them on an empty stomach it does.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options

My big problem with eating breakfast is when I get up, I'm just not hungry at all. Food doesnt sound good, and I dont want to eat it. I ususaly just go to work and eat a banana, and I've gotten oatmeal too to have in the mornings. but still, i just have such a hard time eating in the morning. Usualy breakfast makes me sick. But I know I'm supposed ot eat it. Maybe I'll just bring my vitamins to work and eat em there when its lunch time.

Right, I had (have?) this same problem. At 270 pounds, I would go all day without eating because I was too busy or because I wasn't hungry. Then I would stuff my face right before bed. I have *never* in my life eaten breakfast on a regular basis. Until 3 months ago. I eat breakfast every. single. day. Whether I want to or not. Lately I've noticed I'm usually actually hungry in the morning & I can hardly wait until my workout & shower are through to eat breakfast. Sometimes I even have to eat half a banana or something *before* my workout because I'm so hungry. To me, this is a good sign.

I know you already know this, but sometimes you just have to make yourself eat. Anything. A yogurt smoothie, half a banana with tablespoon of peanut butter, really any protein & carb mixture. :smile:

Since, like you, I don't usually enjoy eating a big hearty breakfast, I actually do what you said and I have a bag full of multivitamins in my desk drawer to take with lunch. I just don't trust that I'm going to be able to take it in the morning and not feel sick.

I think the gummy and kids vitamins don't upset stomachs as much because they're not "complete." Many kids vitamins don't have iron in them because iron poisoning is a real threat to children and iron is both the supplement I need the most and the thing that upsets my stomach the most. :ohwell:
  • MariSama44
    MariSama44 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    make sure you eat before taking vitamins. If the problem still persits look for one thats coated to dissolve in your intestine rather than your stomach(slow release) or chewables. Also consider taking your vitamins before bed when your stomach and metabolism is slower. Hope that helps!!

You're always helpful :happy: thankyou!
  • lgfeilmeier
    Options
    This happens to me alot! It doesn't matter if I eat before, after, during, or how much water I drink. I do believe if you buy the more expensive vitamins like Centrum it helps. Also, some vitamins will now mark on the label that they are "easily digestable". I"m trying to save money so I buy the generic ones and push through the pain. Normally the nausea goes away after about an hour.

I wish you luck!