When do you weigh yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• ScottFree_66
    ScottFree_66 Posts: 200
    Options
    Most mornings (nude)...

not because I'm obsessing, I just find the fluctuations fascinating.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after I wake up and "go" but before I shower (so yes, no clothes!). I do it before work on work days, whenever I remember to, which is most of the time now. If it's a day off and I've slept in, or if I was up really late the night before, I might not.

Yes, it's more often, but the key is that I accept that it's going to fluctuate, with the time of month and how much salt I had the night before and dozens of other factors, so I just look at the general trend and don't stress about each individual number. Sure, it's fun to see it go down, but it's no big tragedy if it goes up a little. In fact, sometimes it seems like I need that little push up in order to get out of a plateau and get moving down again....and I wouldn't know that if I didn't keep track! More information is rarely a bad thing.

Last time I was dieting, I weighed myself on the scale at work, at the end of the day. I always wear pretty much the same thing to work every day, so no variation there. I figure as long as you're consistent, the details aren't so important.

I don't understand this idea of recording only when you see a loss. My last plateau, I gained just a teeny bit and then stuck in place for two or three weeks. I didn't start losing again until after I had a splurge and gained a pound, then I was down maybe three pounds within a day or two. I'd rather *know* how things like that work. And if you're weighing yourself to see if you've lost, you already *know* whether you're up or down, why not put it on paper, so to speak? Otherwise who knows what tricks your mind plays on you?
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I will only get on the scale in the am before i eat or drink ANYTHING. Any other time of the day its 3-4lbs more and just puts negative thoughts in my head. My weight in day is mondays!
  • jaynehayden83
    jaynehayden83 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My official "weigh in" day is a Monday morning though i do sometimes get on the scales on a Thursday morning just to see if it looks like my weight is going the right way :-)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Official weigh in is Friday morning but sometimes I'll do a preliminary weigh in on Thursday morning. Probably so I can do something to better improve the number for Friday. But like last week, I got a better number on Thursday than Friday. It was only by .4 pounds but still. :laugh:
  • melaniealedgerwood
    Options
    Yep. Like the majority of you. I weigh in the a.m., after I potty, before I have coffee.
  • Mrs_Sheila
    Mrs_Sheila Posts: 39
    Options
    Every freaking day ~ in the am and right before bed. The # at bedtime kinda gives me an idea of what the morning weigh in will be. It's sick really.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Friday or Saturday morning when I first wake up
  • forsythwendy1
    forsythwendy1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You will drive yourself nuts by weighing in like that. I weigh myself every Saturday morning, at the same time, before I head out to the gym so I know my progress. I was weighing in more but then, like you, the up and down was making it difficult to keep up the momentum of trying to lose the weight. Good luck!
  • helenlp83
    helenlp83 Posts: 67
    Options
    I officially weigh in every Monday morning first thing after I've been to the loo. I weigh myself in my pj's aswell. Although I do also jump on the scales a few times during the week more to keep myself on track. I know I weigh 2-3lb more at the end of the day than I do first thing in the morning.

My wii fit has a different weight for me than my bathroom scales as well
  • dickster1961
    dickster1961 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I"m a nurse at a local hospital and we tell our patients to weight themselves first thing in the morning once you get out of bed, after you urinate, naked!

that's when I do it
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    Like many, I weigh in the morning, before food and coffee. I write it down every day, but my official weigh-in day is Friday. I like to see the fluctuations, especially if for some reason I'm up on Friday - it would (and did!) drive me crazy when I weighed once a week, had a great week, and gained or maintained on my weigh-in day. By weighing daily, I can see the fluctuations, and I better understand how my body works and why the scale isn't necessarily the best measure of success. Recently, since it's summer and no school, I've been weighing several times a day to get a handle on how my weight changes throughout the day - this is mostly in reaction to people I knew at WeightWatchers who would attend vastly different meeting times/days and then be disappointed (at evening weigh-ins) or very happy (at morning weigh-ins). I fluctuate 3-4 pounds during the day, and I'm convinced more than ever that a consistent time and day is crucial to keep the crazies away.

Having said that, I'll say that if you freak out at every little fluctuation, weighing every day/more than once a day is not a good choice. For me, it's about learning more about me and how my body works. YMMV.
  • Pooks1n1Schmoops
    Pooks1n1Schmoops Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I guess I just want to make sure I catch something before it's too late. I HATE to lose any ground I've covered. Thanks!
    Like many, I weigh in the morning, before food and coffee. I write it down every day, but my official weigh-in day is Friday. I like to see the fluctuations, especially if for some reason I'm up on Friday - it would (and did!) drive me crazy when I weighed once a week, had a great week, and gained or maintained on my weigh-in day. By weighing daily, I can see the fluctuations, and I better understand how my body works and why the scale isn't necessarily the best measure of success. Recently, since it's summer and no school, I've been weighing several times a day to get a handle on how my weight changes throughout the day - this is mostly in reaction to people I knew at WeightWatchers who would attend vastly different meeting times/days and then be disappointed (at evening weigh-ins) or very happy (at morning weigh-ins). I fluctuate 3-4 pounds during the day, and I'm convinced more than ever that a consistent time and day is crucial to keep the crazies away.

Having said that, I'll say that if you freak out at every little fluctuation, weighing every day/more than once a day is not a good choice. For me, it's about learning more about me and how my body works. YMMV.
  • nataliexxxx
    nataliexxxx Posts: 262
    Options
    wednesday evening because I go to slimming world
  • chayoxela
    chayoxela Posts: 23
    Options
    I guess I just want to make sure I catch something before it's too late. I HATE to lose any ground I've covered. Thanks!

I completely understand this - just make sure that you are comparing realistically. day-to-day fluctuations are normal, and part of life. hour-to-hour fluctuations shouldn't be considered at all in terms of weight loss (food, liquid, excretion all affect this). you really have to look at the big picture, but realizing where you fluctuate on a daily basis can be good since it helps you (well, at least me) not get upset over an apparent gain that is caused by something like too much sodium.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    On Wednesday morning just after I get up and go to the bathroom. Why not Monday - I eat Sunday lunch at my mother in laws and she cooks with lots of salt. Monday's weight is always up.

Snap apart from it's me doing the cooking but tend not to use alot of salt