Breakfast Ideas

Options

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    OH I have a good one!!! okay take a piece of bread and toast the sucker. Get an apple and peel it and grate it so you have like apple shavings. Then stick em in a pan to warm them up, don't cook them just warm them. The sprinkle in some cinnamon. take your apple concoction and put it on the bread then add in some pecans!! It is really tasty and is super fast/easy!! :flowerforyou:

Gosh! That does sound good!
  • MENichols5
    MENichols5 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love egg whites! Pour on hot sauce and its quick, easy, and yummy. I will eat a side of fruit sometimes too.

I also like low sodium rice cakes with peanut butter. Keeps you full for a long time!
  • cheree1969
    cheree1969 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my morning staple. I defrost some frozen berries, and then do the oatmeal in the microwave for a minute and a half. When its done, stir in a 1/2 teaspoon of peanut butter and a little splenda. Fold in berries and a splash of milk to cut the stickiness. Yum!
  • Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I cook up an egg beater omelet with spinach and top it off with some salsa - takes about 5 mins to make, I have it down to a science. Also, I usually add a couple of boca sausages, which taste surprisingly good for a non-meat product. All in all my breakfast is about 200 calories but its very satisfying!
  • DerynDevice
    Options
    This is going to take up some pace, but it is not complicated. And I do not recommend skipping breakfast. I always whip two eggs with some milk and fry it in a pancake shape. Then you place a piece of cheese on it, fold the 'egg cake' over and you have a cheese omelet! I eat mine with two table spoons on salsa on top and a side of chopped tomatoes, but you can eat it how you want. Chopping up spinach and mixing it with the egg is very filling
  • sjschewlakow
    sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump, got to work but i want to read more ideas later. Thanks people!:flowerforyou:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I normally have eggs or egg whites scrambled with vegetables and another protein source and cheese but this morning I had cinnamon weight control oatmeal mixed with non-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, diced strawberries and a tablespoon of dark chocolate chips. It was delicious and soooo filling.

If I have to be somewhere early, I make a smoothie up the night before or grab a protein bar on my way out.
  • ro90
    ro90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kjphotography90
    Kjphotography90 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I eat 2 Kashi waffles with lowfat peanutbutter and a banana. It's so good!! I try to keep my breakfast under 500 cals.but it has to hold me until lunch (6 hours). I usually don't have time for a snack between 6am and 12pm!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but it's a staple for many MFPers.

REFRIGERATOR OATMEAL

I've oversimplified the typical recipe, which usually calls for greek yogurt and either water or milk.

Equal Parts: Old Fashioned Oats AND Plain Yogurt (You can use low-fat, full-fat, no-fat, whatever fits into your macronutrient needs for the day).

Fixins. My favorite blend is 1 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened), 1 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (the good kind - ingredients: peanuts), 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses, 1 tsp cinnamon.

Toss all ingredients into a mason jar. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Put a lid on it. Place in fridge overnight.

In the morning, take it out, remove lid, and enjoy. It will keep without refrigeration for several hours (I throw it in my bicycle pannier bag and ride 15 miles to work). You can also heat it up if you prefer. I like it slightly chilled.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    a glass of milk with some dried apricots. A banana with natural peanut butter spread on it. greek yogurt with fresh fruit. oatmeal with walnuts. hardboiled egg whites.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have no time for breakfast in the morning, so i found a really great recipe that can be made ahead!

I mix egg whites, spinach, mushroom, diced tomato, and sliced deli turkey in a bowl and pour into muffin tins.
    Take 2 slices of fat free american cheese and place pieces over each mixture.

Bake for about 20 minutes.

I take the batch with me to work and heat one up each morning!
    They are awesome and super filling - and I love that it's portion controlled. They also make good afternoon snacks!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    The yolk contains the vast majority of the cholesterol in a whole egg. The white contains the vast majority of the protein. If you feel the need for fats at breakfast, sub the yolk for a 1/4 of an avocado (cholesterol is an animal-derrived fat, plants don't contain any cholesterol). Studies also suggest a couple of other diet modifications for lowering LDL: consuming LOW FAT dairy products (dairy calcium improves fat excretion), and moving toward a plant-based diet.

There are a lot of conflicting studies about that, but I believe the current assumption is that dietary cholesterol has little to do with dietary cholesterol intake.

Mayo's take: Limit eggs... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608/

NIH study: Eggs as part of weight loss actually improved HDL (good) cholesterol... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18203890

WebMD's take: http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20040708/eating-eggs-daily-not-risky-heart

It's worth studying up, because the science of dietary cholesterol is still unfolding.
  • afl0405
    afl0405 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i love to make these for breakfast! Great idea with the spinach!
  • jhagwall
    jhagwall Posts: 2
    Options
    One of my favorite breakfasts is:

3 egg whites, salsa, black beans + you can add other veggies if you like or a little brown rice. I love brown rice in general. I like to cook a bunch of it. I add a little to salads, eggs, or just as a side with a meal. I don't over do it, though. At the most a 1/4 cup serving with a meal is usually plenty. I usually use a tablespoon of salsa, 1/4 cup black beans, 3 egg whites. Sometimes I leave one yolk in with the eggs as the yolk is very nutritious. Sometimes I put the eggs on toast then top it with the salsa and beans. This satisfies me, and gives me good energy for the day. It doesn't feel like I am depriving myself, but is still a fairly low-cal meal.

I also like to make old-fashioned oats. I also add a tablespoon or two of toasted wheat germ. Then I add banana or peaches, a little milk, and smart-balance margarine if I want it. The toasted wheat germ is also great to add to smoothies. Smoothies can be a great meal anytime of day as well. Just be sure you add things that are providing a good nutritional boost. Just avoid putting things with refined sugar into them. Just use fruits and veggies. I love adding greek yoghurt, peanut butter, or even banana as a thickener for a smoothie.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Banana Omlett:

(Pre-heat a pan with frylite or the equivelent.)

2 eggs
    1 ripe banana
    Blend together. (you could even add protein powder here if you like)
    Then mix in...
    1 teaspoon cinnemon
    2 teaspoons seeds of your choice (I use flaxseed and sunflower at the mo)
    Mix well.
    Add to the pan and SLOWLY cook on a LOW heat (too high and it will burn, not cook).
    Flip, cook the other side ... and your done!

Can be eaten like that or topped with different fruits, youguts etc. YUM :-)
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is: Porridge/Oatmeal - 40g oats 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water + fruit, abut 4 minutes in the microwave (stir have way through) and fills me right up!

When I get sick of it, I'll have Weetabix/wheat biscuit cereal, which is around 134 calories for two "biscuits" and Puffed Wheat cereal which is only 55 calories for 15g.

And on treat days, an egg, 2 slices of toast and weight watchers baked beans (or low calorie store brand).

and if I'm rushing out/haven't got time for breakfast = 1 tbsp peanut butter on a crumpet, lovely!
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    Options
    These look really good http://thevegankitchen.net/2012/03/26/mini-tofu-frittatas/ - going to have to have a go at making them when I get everything I need. Would be handy to just have breakfast I can grab, or lunch even, would be good with a salad
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats, it's kind of a different texture but I do

1/2 old fashion oats (can be quick oats)
    1 tsp cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp Agave Nector
    1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever you prefer)
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 T pb2 (or your preference)

Mix everything but the milk together, taste to see if it is sweet enough for your palate. If not add what you see fit, mix the milk in and put in the fridge over night. Delicious!

There's so many variations and it's quick and easy to grab out of the fridge and go!