Former smokers

Options
How'd you quit? So many different things work for different people. I've heard success stories varying from cold turkey to acupuncture. What worked for you, and how long ago did you quit?

Replies

• Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to quit my friend? GOOD!!! love ya!!
  • MsP90X
    MsP90X Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    10 years ago now... quit cold turkey and still crave somedays! Good luck to you!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back after 20 years puffing away.

Seriously, I owe my freedom from smokes to that man.
  • Music_is_my_soul
    Music_is_my_soul Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 3 years ago due to a blood clot in my lungs! It was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. But the thought of picking up a smoke and it could kill me scared the *kitten* out of me!

Chewing gum, have a toothpick in my mouth.. something in my hands really helped with the cravings.

GOOD LUCK! You can do it!!!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    March 18,2012 was last day I smoked. Cold turkey.
    Have a made up mind. Be sick of it. Want to get healthy.
    I joined this shortly after, never looked back.
    First 3-5 days are hell.
    Good luck!!!
  • blessingsx2
    blessingsx2 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey! When I get cravings, gum or a piece of hard candy works for me.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking cold turkey over 10 years ago after a health scare (I was 21 or 22 and thought I was having a heart attack!). I won't lie - it really sucked for about the first week, but after that, it wasn't too bad. I didn't crave after that, but I had dreams about smoking, which was really weird! I was fortunate in that once I quit, I quit (I didn't cheat nor did I have the desire to start smoking again). Good luck - your lungs and your wallet will thank you!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey when I was ready to quit.
    I tried the patch and stuff, but I didn't want to quit... I think there is quitting, and WANTING TO QUIT!!
    Yes, you have to scream it.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker, but my boyfriend quit on 02/08/08 on our first date. He has still upheld it as a promise, and told me that the promise is the only thing that has kept him from picking it back up (he says he still wants a cig from time to time when stressed). He quit cold turkey chewing tons of toothpicks.
    Based off his success, I'd suggest finding a good, solid reason to quit and commit! Good luck!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I just stopped. But I couldn't say it was a cold turkey affair, because that implies some form of hardship. I've just never had the addiction, even on 20+ a day. I just pick them up and put them down as I feel like it, I've never "needed" one. I have however just bought a couple of packs for the first time in 2 years due to my life going to ****, so it's something to do to help pass the time. I feel lucky in the knowledge that I can just stop again whenever, but right now at least each one is at least another 10 minutes off of my life. Good luck in quitting, it does seem that the cold turkey approach is the one that has worked for most here.
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hypnosis. I went back on them when my fiance died in April, I will be going back to the hypnosis guy again soon. x
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I quit buying cigarettes and then didn't ask anyone for one.

I still smoke cigars though; not giving those up.
  • laurie0507
    laurie0507 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I quit several times, I tried the patch (got addicted to the patch).. it was the hardest thing ever. Finally, my doctor prescribed Chantix.. 2 weeks and I was DONE. no thought about it, no cravings, just done.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey but I was ready to do it. Just gave the rest of my cigs to my brother and never looked back, was so sick of it by the time I came to quit though!
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I had pneumonia and couldn't smoke for 2 weeks. Never looked back! I am completely free of all cravings, but I do believe I owe that one to God! :D
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I quit June 29 with the lozenges. I have lost 5 pounds since then! I hope to be able to quit the lozenges soon.
  • legendary781
    legendary781 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used the patch to quit smoking in Feb 2010 after 28 years. I started exercising to avoid the dreaded weight gain. Did P90X a few times and now weight train 3 days a week and do cardio(running or walking) the other 3 days. I lost about 25 lbs from a high of 198 lbs. I feel great and will never look back!!!
  • CLSostarich
    Options
    I quit 14 years ago using several bags of Dum Dums lollipops and the cold turkey method. After the first two weeks it was smooth sailing, but I have to say I still think of them fondly. Whenever I see a sign that has the price of cigarettes on them I pat myself on the back.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Quit Jan 26,2012 after blood clots in heart and legs almost cost me my precious life.Quit cold turkey.Gained
    10 pounds but lost them quickly when I could breathe well again.
  • ShakeyMD
    ShakeyMD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I quit almost 5 years ago. During a heart sonogram you could see my lungs as they passed under my breast, and it was full of smoke on the screen. Totally freaked me out because I hadn't had a cigarette in 3 hours. I was a 2 pack+/day for years. I went home and quit that day. The visual really scared me. I want one every day but remind myself what that sonogram looked like and I don't really want one.

Good luck, you can do it!!