Protien Shakes

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I am considering buying some protein powder as a supplement. Not repacement. Any suggestions on the best tasting, filling and lowest calorie type or brand? I'm looking to loose weigh not bulk up. lol:smile:

Drinking a protein shake won't cause you to bulk up, going grossly over your calories will.

1. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey - Good price and tons of flavor options, can be bought at BodyBuilding.Com for cheap.
    2. Biotest Metabollic Drive
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    The best tasting meal replacement shake I've tasted is from the fiber 35 diet. It has 20g of protein and 10g of fiber. It has a digestive enzyme blend too. I used it as a supplement not as a meal replacement. Strawberry its about $38.

The least expensive whey protein with low carb and tastes okay: Whey Designer powder chcolate/strawberry - 3 carbs/2 g sugar 18g - $12.99
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'd say to do some research on the different types of protein for your needs.

For post resistance training, Whey is better as it's fast acting.

For when you're not doing resistance work, Casein can be better as it's slow release.

There's a school of thought that says Casein prevents Whey from doing it's 'fast acting' thing though so be careful of mixing the 2.

Jay

Casein is something you take before you go to bed or possibly after workouts to keep a steady flow of amino's in your blood over a longer time frame. Whey is definitely faster acting. There's no problem with mixing Casein and Whey together, Optimum Nutrition even sells a blend. This way you get the quick benefits of Whey with the longer-term benefits of Casein.

I have a feeling the OP isn't that hardcore about this and a basic Whey or Complex (whey + casein) is fine.
  • tadpole4192
    tadpole4192 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use Beachbody's whey protein. 110 calories and 18 grams of protein. Many items labeled meal replacement just have a higher sugar content but can have a good protein value. For meal replacement, I consume Shakeology. Over 70 ingredients in one serving , 16 grams of protein, and about 140 calories depending on the liquid used to mix it with and flavor.

And one can go nuts:explode: cross comparing, brands, to ingredeints, to quantity, to price, to volume, .etc. You get what you pay for:happy:
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Here's a link to a consumer reports article about the levels of toxic heavy metals in some brands of protein powders. Something to consider before buying simply by price.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/what-our-tests-found/index.htm

I consume on average 2 scoop of a whey casien blend, but the manufacturer is not on this list.

This is disturbing considering that I do drink Cytosport (muscle milk) 100% whey protein daily.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'd say to do some research on the different types of protein for your needs.

For post resistance training, Whey is better as it's fast acting.

For when you're not doing resistance work, Casein can be better as it's slow release.

There's a school of thought that says Casein prevents Whey from doing it's 'fast acting' thing though so be careful of mixing the 2.

Jay

Casein is something you take before you go to bed or possibly after workouts to keep a steady flow of amino's in your blood over a longer time frame. Whey is definitely faster acting. There's no problem with mixing Casein and Whey together, Optimum Nutrition even sells a blend. This way you get the quick benefits of Whey with the longer-term benefits of Casein.

I have a feeling the OP isn't that hardcore about this and a basic Whey or Complex (whey + casein) is fine.

If you're going to mix the two, I'd advise buying a ready mixed complex rather than buying whey + casein and mixing. Casein can coagulate in the stomach which prevents the whey from absorbing as effectively as it could. Hey, I'm not an expert and I don't know 100% that that's true but I've read it from numerous sources so I'm willing to run with it as a tweak to my supplementation. If I want a steadily flowing protein hit and a fast acting at once, I'll take a whole food protein like cottage cheese or chicken for my slow release and whey for my fast acting. Food proteins don't coagulate or inhibit whey uptake.

You're right though, I'm rambling onto whey (pun intended) more advanced nutrition theory than the OP needs to know about... Sorry...

Cheers

Jay
  • hotcocoa8
    hotcocoa8 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use Unjury Protein Powder the best, and I have to force myself to eat.
  • DerpdyHerp
    Options
    Unless you're having problems meeting your recommended protein requirements, I say skip the supplement and chew your protein.
  • shinay1
    shinay1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I use Gnc - Total Lean Shake (Swiss Chocolate), 1 Packet (48 g) 180 cal's,30 carbs and 2 grams fat.

I must say I love it the chocolate it taste so good also because I have a strong taste for mocha I add coffee to it and it tastes just like a cold mocha latte. instead of the water I just brew some coffee with no added sugar or cream and put into the fridge and let get cold and mix with the powder and WA-la there you have it. Very good protein chocolate creamy mocha.
  • trpeppin
    trpeppin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My friend suggested I buy the Isagenix brand whey protein powder. I am having a hard time spending $80.00 for something that will last me about 2 weeks if I have 2 shakes a day. My friend doesn't sell the stuff and she swears by it. My question is how do you think the Target whey protein powder proformes? I saw it in Target the other day and thought WOW this stuff is very cheap cost wise wonder if it will have the same results as the Isagenix. THOUGHTS?
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I promise you sweetie, you will not bulk up from protein.
  • trpeppin
    trpeppin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been using the protein whey shakes (Target Brand). So far so good. I have been having them in the moring for breakfast with a spoon full of Wheat Germ (toasted kind). I am not hungry till 12:30 and even then I have a hard time eating lunch. Since its only been a few days I am not sure if its making me lose weight but I do kind of notice more energy.