Former smokers

Options

Replies

• WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Read the Allen Carr book. It really prepared me mentally and changed the way I look at smoking.
    Was really hard because my husband was still smoking and I ended up starting again.
    Few months later got a prescription for Champix (Chantix in the US). Smoke free since October of 2009 and zero cravings!
    I still reccommend reading the book as a supplement to anything you try. I got a copy from the library and wrote out my most impactful excerpts and kept them in my purse to read during the first couple months. Helped a lot!
    Good luck!
  • PatByrne82
    PatByrne82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I woke up on October 31st 2011 and decided I was quitting.
    Smoked the 15 I had left throughout the day (I smoke 25 usually)
    I had my last cigarette at 10.15pm that night.
    No patches No gum nothing.

Over 8 months later and I feel brilliant.
    I can't underestimate this next quote

It's the best thing I have ever done.

Good Luck.
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have been free of smoking for 5 years this August. I had a special motivating factor though...the ultrasound picture of my daughter. The second I saw that I quit cold turkey and never looked back. To help with the cravings I drank plenty of water, chewed on sunflower seeds, sucked on cough drops or lollipops...anything I could replace the oral fixation with. I tried numerous times before. I quit for a while and then even went back after my mom got cancer (she was a smoker too). It is hard. However, like dieting, it does not work unless you are prepared to change your lifestyle. When you commit to changing your life and being smoke free forever, the power of the mind can help you tremendously to accomplish your goal. Cravings only last a minute or too. Water and breathing can help you. When you get to thirty days, it becomes habit and you will feel empowered that you are smoke free. Good luck!
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    It's been 2 years, 4 months and 10 days. Chantix was a miracle drug for me. Never looked back although I get the craving about once a week!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Tried a Nicorette Spray inhaler thing for one day then went cold turkey 'cause it was gross. I'd thrown out all of my smoking stuff beforehand too. Been a non-smoker for just over a year now. Smoked for 12 years.
  • baylor110311
    baylor110311 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker for 12 years. I tried quitting several times just to start back up again. I finally was able to quit cold turkey and have not smoked for 3 years now. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen. It is an addiction just like anything else you have to overcome.
  • BigAardvaark
    Options
    Another tip from me, save the money you would have spent on tobacco and at the end of the month, buy yourself something with the money, how about that shiny new HEART RATE MONITOR?!!!!
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I was put on Welbutrin but only stayed on it for a week or so. It's been 8 years!
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back (4 months ago). On rare occasion I will want them but then I just tell my self I am a non-smoker and it goes away. I get the feeling less and less. I smoked 1/2 -1 pack a day for 25 years.

I became dedicated to getting healthy... If I want a cigarette-- I walk!!!!
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I quit. I used Chantix, though I only used it for a week. Partly because I didn't need it and partly b/c of the crazy dreams it gave me.

Whenever I felt the desire to smoke, I took a short walk instead. The same thing I do when I feel the urge to binge. It helps, and you get a little exercise instead!
  • MichelleB1427
    Options
    I quit cold turkey as well as many of you have. It all depends on how addicted you are I suppose... I wasnt very addicted, I have quit before but only for 6 months. This time around is for GOOD! I quit because I want to be more healthy, and I want to be able to breathe! I tell you, it's one of the best things I have ever done, along with joining MFP! Whatever you gotta do, do it. And make it work! You wont be sorry. =) Good Luck!!
  • couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    im 1 year and 7 months stopped now i used a inhalator and patches for 6 months , i use to smoke 30 or more a day the day i stopped was the day i stopped coughing as well . i did put weight on ide say bout 2 stone . i had a foot operation in january this year as well which didn help with exercise etc ... but now im on the right road again, this is 3 rd and final stopping smoking ill be doing evil things and they stink lol lol x
    :bigsmile:
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back after 20 years puffing away.

Seriously, I owe my freedom from smokes to that man.

^^^^^This exactly...I love being a non smoker
  • Careolyn
    Careolyn Posts: 61
    Options
    Just threw the pack away. I mentally prepared myself, I knew it was time to quit and I wanted to quit. I indulged in drinks and cigs the Saturday night, woke up Sunday a bit under the weather and threw away the pack. I had also bought an e cigerette, used it the Monday/Tuesday by Wednesday gave that up and was done. It's been 4 weeks now, I have been around smoking friends and it doesn't bother me anymore. Sometimes I miss it, but I know I don't need it. Plus, I already notice the money I am saving, and I have increased my running speed and distance. Best feeling in the world!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I used an e-cig, I just for whatever reason had it in my head that it was going to work. and it did. I had smoked for 30 years, and have been smoke free for 2 yrs and 2 mths. i have odd moment thoughts of smoking but haven't gone back.
    I too was fretting of what to use or not use to help me quit,.
    I just got it in my head that it didn't matter what method I used, just that I believed it would work and that I followed through and it did.
    So pick your method and just go for it and then make it work. If you are on this site then hopefully you are already on the path to a healthier you. So you can just add this to your list of accomplishments., : ) Good luck
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Stopped smoking a while ago, then would occasionally have one and I realized i hated the way they tasted, and made me cough, and just the general amount of crap they made me feel like. Realized i'd rather not even occasionally smoke. So i just stopped. My father is in the process now, he is using an e cigarette to wean himself :)
  • WendyA1119
    WendyA1119 Posts: 53
    Options
    I quit about a year 1/2 ago. I went cold turkey. I smoked like a chimney New Years Eve 2010 and on New years day I went cold turkey. I stopped because my kids and my BF were asking me to. I figured I needed to be around for them and didn't want to be a disappointment to any of them.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I got really sick, passed out/slept for 3 days and couldn't smoke for a week because it hurt so much. I just never picked up a cigarette since then. That was almost 5 years ago. So, I guess you could say I quit cold turkey lol. I smoked a pack a day for over 20 years.

My husband, on the other hand, was just as sick and "worked through the pain"....he's still smoking today.

Good luck to you! Quitting smoking is not easy but it does get easier over time.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I will have been quit 5 years in September (cold turkey) and I did it with the help of the wonderful people at QuitNow.com. That is a fabulous website and the people there all offer encouragement and support much like here at MFP. It was actually one of my buddies at QuitNow that recommended I come here to take off all the weight I gained after I quit smoking and I will be eternally grateful to her.