Replies

• oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Chantix. Easiest way to quit ever.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Quit cold turkey last october. It was hard for like the first 4-5 days, occasional cravings every now and then but I'm smokefree! :wink:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    March 18,2012 was last day I smoked. Cold turkey.
    Have a made up mind. Be sick of it. Want to get healthy.
    I joined this shortly after, never looked back.
    First 3-5 days are hell.
    Good luck!!!

Good for you Clif! Send your non smoking vibes to me please :) lol
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I quit 8.5 years ago. I figured out how many I smoked per day and cut it by one for a week then repeated until it was one a day, then every other day, etc... I found the hardest thing is when you associate smoking with a particular action like breaks, after eating, with coffee or drinks, after sex, etc. The habit is harder to break than the physical addiction. Break the pattern first, then the do the physical part, I think that most of the people that have trouble stopping it's because of trying to break a psychological addiction and a physical one at the same time. Just my theory, not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, just observations of myself, friends and family members.
  • slprout
    slprout Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    tried an e-cig on 6/9/2009 and have not smoked a regular cigarette since. Being around other smokers does not bother me.
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I quit a little over one year ago, cold turkey. I tried and tried to "cut back." It was impossible. I met the my fiance and he didn't like me smoking but he dealt with it. Then we had a talk and he told me he couldn't marry a smoker, which I resepct because before I smoked I felt the same way. So I quit that day. Now they make me sick.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    Deep breathing (which is just like smoking only without the smoke!) It really helped me. And lots of water. A nice big glass every hour or so. Once you quit, you quit. Don't think having just one is a possibility. It ain't. (if you REALLY wanna quit)

BREEEEEEATHE darlin' !

You can do it!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    quit 2 years ago with Chantix... caused really intense dreams but other than that no side effects.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Having tried lots of different ways over the last 6 years from patches, gum , cold turkey , I gave it one last go with Champix tablets and I had sucess with them I did slip back into it but then did it again and I have now been smoke free for almost 2 years now and have started to tackle the weight I put on due to it.
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at the age of 13 and quit when I was 43. That was 15 years ago. I used Nicorette Gum and it worked fantastic. The only issue was getting addicted to the gum and then that's another habit to kick. I heard that Chantix (sp) works very well. And remember, YOU CAN DO IT!!!.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    day 259 here... cold turkey, just make up your mind that you want too and it comes to you.. I tried pills, patches, etc etc etc, one time it just kicks that you flip that switch in your mind and go...

oh and Chantix, GREAT stuff, HOWEVER, made me very short fused and angry alot... also the dreams...omg the dreammmmmmsssss..... woah...
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    For the people that used chantrix did the cravings come back after you stoped the meds at all?

I have read and heard about the intense dreams, I think they will be similar to what I experienced whenever the Army made me take malaria pills in Afghanistan and Haiti though so that does not really worry me
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    Cold Turkey a year ago.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 years ago, but I used Chantix and it worked like a dream. I was a chain smoker, 3 packs a day for 20+ years and just quit with Chantix and have never looked back yet! Good luck!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    cold turkey.... woke up one morning and asked myself why I was smoking, and I couldn't come up with a reason... decided then and there I was done... and I havn't picked up a cigarette since, and its been 3 years

❤melissa
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    After 20+ years as smokers, both my husband and I used the Nicitrol inhalers and they made it easy for us to quit. We were able to get the small amount of nicotine we needed to ease the cravings and having the inhaler itself, even with no cartridge in it, helped too. We both found that over time we just naturally stopped using it and actually ended up finding and throwing away left over cartridges a year after we quit.
    Good luck! It's hard to quit but you will be so much happier without them. A trick we used was to figure out how much we spent each week and then planned rewards and things to do with the saved money.
  • martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    HI

I became a non-smoker 2 1/2 years ago. I used niquitin patches and an inhalator. I went to quit for life ( a free thing in uk) and they gave me all the stuff, I found going each week motivated me cos I didn't want to let anyone down.

I brainwashed myself the week before that I was a non smoker not an ex smoker

I used a free desktop quit counter...tell you when you quit, how many cigs you've not smoked, how much money you've saved and most important how many days of life you have got back...it mounts up fast.

Ultimately its up to you to find your own motivator, when you are ready you are ready, I don't miss it one bit.

good luck hun

martyx
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey, find something else to focus on. It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Almost 2 years free now. Free because, I was a slave and I hated it! Good luck, it's the best decision you will ever make.
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    9 days ago with the Patch.

I am actually not wearing it today, don't have any cravings. When you are ready it just happens!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I quit 8.5 years ago. I figured out how many I smoked per day and cut it by one for a week then repeated until it was one a day, then every other day, etc... I found the hardest thing is when you associate smoking with a particular action like breaks, after eating, with coffee or drinks, after sex, etc. The habit is harder to break than the physical addiction. Break the pattern first, then the do the physical part, I think that most of the people that have trouble stopping it's because of trying to break a psychological addiction and a physical one at the same time. Just my theory, not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, just observations of myself, friends and family members.

Totally, my greatest residual urges to smoke coincides with physical activity as a 'reward' for what I have done ... Very weird considering one contradicts another.

I used to hike all day but smoked at various rest points ... I think I associated smoking with appreciating the views/nature, it's just a habit/association that needs breaking.