Eating Healthy...on a VERY limited budget

Options

Replies

• KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I freeze cheese (best when shredded first), cottage cheese & yogurt when I find these items on sale and can stock up.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Price matching at walmart for veggies makes my life sooooo much easier. I look at all the ads and take home a cart full of veggies and fruits for 20 bucks. I price match canned frozen and fresh- Also Rice is an awesome suggestion. Oatmeal- I buy the 10lb bag of chicken and the chicken quarters that you can get for very cheap- and split them up- remove the skin. Dark meat isn't as healthy but it's cheaper. Also, I don't know about the rest of the world but we have a little mexico in omaha- I get all of my salsas (mmmmmmmmmm) fajita meats and steak there- its cheap- very fresh and spiced amazingly. Farmers markets also- it's easier to get bulk pricing, and cheaper sometimes, I go near the end of the day- right before everyone is closing up- it's easier to haggle when they are looking to take a whole bunch straight back home. Soup is your Friend! I can make bulk soup and eat it all week, all month depending on the pot I use. I'm very used to cooking on a budget lol. I can make 5 banquet chicken nuggets into a 5 person meal.
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I freeze cheese (best when shredded first), cottage cheese & yogurt when I find these items on sale and can stock up.

WOW didnt know that either!! COOL!!:)
  • RejoicingL
    RejoicingL Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You can also go to farm stands and pick up their "seconds" for a fraction of the cost. Usually, they are totally usable, and might just have a cosmetic blemish.

We save money by not wasting anything. All of our leftovers get saved and eaten. And also, by avoiding the processed "convenience" foods.
  • mommaPeach72
    Options
    Well, on the gardening topic, I wanted to share an idea I saw. You take a palett that has untreated wood, staple gardening cloth underneath and fill it with soil. Plant your veggies or herbs in the spaces between the slats. This makes a "mobile" garden, and you don't have to weed!! I will definitely give this a try next year.
  • jewelsc1
    jewelsc1 Posts: 26
    Options
    bump...great ideas here!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    we have 8 kids and one income. thanks for the tips!
  • jackiebebby
    jackiebebby Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just because you are on a budget doesn't mean you can't eat healthy. Buy some whole wheat flour and make your own fresh non preservative breads.You can also make your own homemade whole wheat pasta with that. and buy turkey meat instead of Chopped meat meatballs. Eggs are a great way to fill up and relatively cheap for breakfast. Or a big container of oatmeal. If you get 1 chicken you can make a chicken broth take the chicken out and add whatever veggies you want for a meal one night. You can have that with your homemade bread. Save the chicken for the next day saute the chicken with an onion and peppers add some spices (think fajita style so garlic, paprika, cumin etc) and add some black beans in there and make chicken burritos for the next night. The next night you can have lentil soup, all it is is a carrot, some beans some tomatoes. Stuffed cabbage is also relatively inexpensive. It's all up to your imagination. It is more work to eat healthy on a budget, but your body will thank you in the end!!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well, on the gardening topic, I wanted to share an idea I saw. You take a palett that has untreated wood, staple gardening cloth underneath and fill it with soil. Plant your veggies or herbs in the spaces between the slats. This makes a "mobile" garden, and you don't have to weed!! I will definitely give this a try next year.

I love this!!!! I've got to try it. :drinker:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaaaaaaack! :laugh:
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump - GREAT list.
  • jenmcca
    jenmcca Posts: 3
    Options
    Try www.squawkfox.com for good tips on eating healthy on the cheap.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, there are great tips in here!
  • NearlyNikki
    Options
    1. Canned Tuna. 40g protein/can. Buy tuna in spring water or brine. Don't worry about the mercury: 1 can chunk light tuna per day is safe, read this.

2. Whole Eggs. 7g protein/egg. Lower your body fat rather than throwing the yolk away if you have bad cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol isn't bound to blood cholesterol, and the yolk contains half the protein and vitamins A/D/E.

3. Whey. 1 scoop ON whey is 24g protein/30g serving. At 2 scoops/day, a 10lbs bag will last 10 weeks for 84,99$. You don't get cheaper than this. But don't rely on whey only because it's cheaper. Vary your protein intake.

4. Ground Beef. 25g protein/100g. Buy 80% ground beef and rinse the fat if lean beef is too expensive. You can reduce the fat content by as much as 50%. Read this free pdf on how to rinse ground beef.

5. Milk. 30g protein/liter milk. If you're a skinny guy, want to gain weight fast and don't bother gaining some fat, drink 1 gallon raw milk per day. Don't worry about the saturated fat. Stay away from milk if you want to lose fat.

6. Frozen Chicken Breast. 25g protein/100g. Cook the frozen chicken breast using a George Foreman Grill. Consume the chicken breast within 2 months of freezing for optimal tenderness & taste.

7. Cottage Cheese. 12g protein/100g. Cottage cheese is more expensive in Europe than in the US. We buy Quark cheese: 10g protein per 100g, cheaper than cottage cheese and a better taste.

8. Ground Turkey. 25g protein/100g. Expensive cuts are made from turkey breast. Cheaper cuts can contain skin, which increases the fat content. Rinse the fat like for ground beef using this method.

9. Canned Mackerel. 23g protein/100g. Canned mackerel is high in omega-3, contains less mercury than canned tuna, and tastes a lot better too.

10. Calves Liver. 20g protein/100g. Low fat and nutrient dense. Contrary to what you might believe, liver is safe. Try one of these recipes.

Buy generic food. Buy in bulk to get discounts. Freeze everything.

S – Seasonal Fruits, Veggies and Fish

Eating what is in season, whether it is fruits and vegetables or fish is a good way to cut down on food costs. Produce, in particular, is fresher, has more nutrients, tastes better (so it may be more appealing) and costs less when it is in season.

M – Meatless Meals

Making at least one day a week a meatless day is a good way to cut costs. Making more than one day a week a meatless day and eating healthy protein sources like beans, eggs, milk and alternative proteins (soy, tofu, whole grains) can significantly reduce food costs.

A – Ads and Coupons

Keeping an eye out for the weekly store ads, shopping the sales, stocking up when possible and using coupons for foods that you would normally buy are all ways to reduce food costs.

R – Reuse and Recycle

Buying small plastic containers to use for partitioning food and making your own healthy snacks helps reduce food costs. Making individual sizes of applesauce or other fruits for the kids to take to school cuts costs. One big way of reducing beverage costs is to purchase an aluminum water bottle and BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottled Water) instead of buying expensive bottled water.

Many stores and recycling centers give money back for recycling bottles and containers, a way of getting some money back for the containers in which the food comes packaged.

T – Trim the Take Out Meals

One big cost of meals is eating out. Decreasing the number of take outs and increasing the number of meals eaten at home, can reduce food bills and if you are fixing the right types of foods at home. Cooking foods like chili, soup, tacos and stir-fry are ways of being more economical eating in rather than eating out.

B – Beans and Legumes

Beans and legumes are economical sources of non-meat protein. They are also good sources of fiber. Mixing beans with rice makes for an inexpensive, complete protein. There are many different ethnic dishes that combine beans and rice.

U – Underscore Calcium and Milk Foods

Milk and milk products, like yogurt are good sources of calcium and protein. One way of extending a milk budget is to buy non-fat dry milk and substitute it in recipes for milk sources. Milk can be extended by mixing regular milk with equal amounts of dry milk, helping to stretch a food budget.

D – Divide Your Own Snacks

Buying foods in bulk or at least larger amounts and then measuring and dividing them into smaller packages (snack sized bags) is a more economical way of creating the 100 calorie packaging, popcorn bags or veggie snack packs for the kids. Add a plastic container with salad dressing and you have a veggie dip pack.

G – Grains and Breads

Whole grains, like brown rice, oatmeal and barley, are good sources of fiber, which are more filling than high fat foods. Eating more filling foods can result in eating less food, so eating whole grain, high-fiber foods is a healthy way to manage weight.

E – Eat Fruits and Veggies

Focusing on eating more fruits and vegetables is not only healthier for you, but eating more fruits and vegetables (fresh, frozen or canned) can be good sources of vitamins and minerals as well as being much more economical than other food options.

T – Try Something New

Make it a point to look around the produce section and watch the sales to discover a new food that your family has not tried. A different type of vegetable, fruit, beans or fish that is in season could be a fun, healthy option. Check around the grocery store for recipes.

Printed this out and put it on my fridge :)- Thanks!!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If there are any little neighborhood grocery or butcher shops arund check their meat prices. I usually wind up doing better at places like that. Farmers markets and farm stands are great for produce.Pay attention to the sales flyers. Frozen veggies are my saviro because the stop and shop brand are 3 for 5 and I dont have to worry about spoliage. I get a lot of dry goods at Walmart. Plain oatmeal, dry beans, pop corn kernalsetc are all cheap there
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys must live in the US if your food is that cheap. It costs me 125 a week just to feed my husband and I. A dozen eggs here is $3 and you guys can get two dozen for the same price.
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    dont forget people most (not all yet) grocery stores now offer the member card...register it! you can go online and load e-coupons...plus Upromise.com also loads to those cards as well. my kroger sends me coupons in the mail that are geared towards stuff that I purchase specifically and they are good coupons too...1.50 to 2.00 off of items.
    I am the queen of loading coupons and clipping when they come in the flyer...I never by the newspaper
    I save on average $80.00 to $125.00 with coupons
    When I go shopping I shop for the month..with my meals pre planned for the month so my bill is about 400 to 500 for a family of 4 plus 4 animals.
    The meat I purchase tends to be a lot of turkey meat, steak, pork & chicken breast. I don't buy hamburger or any processed meat (lunchmeats)
    There are never any ice creams or dessert type things put into my cart...it is all health food..oh and no SODA either.
    I basically stick to the produce, organic and then the meat isle.
    I also have my own garden to try and keep the produce cost down during the season whenever possible.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    A good way to save money is also to think about how you cook, i use a pressure cooker and you can cook a beef stew (using cheap cuts like Shin) in 30 minutes rather than 3 hours like you would normally need. Lentils also cook in much less time saving money on gas/electricity.

They are also great for making stock if you are buying whole chickens, you can make stock in 30 minutes and turn that into a great soup or base for a sauce/rosotto.
  • to_the_surface
    Options
    Up to top
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys must live in the US if your food is that cheap. It costs me 125 a week just to feed my husband and I. A dozen eggs here is $3 and you guys can get two dozen for the same price.

I sell our Organic free range chicken eggs for $3.00 a dozen (in the US). In the grocery store normal non organic non free range eggs are running around $2.00. I definately depends on where you live as to your grocery prices though. My friends in Alaska spend twice as much for produce as we do but we spend a bit more than my family in Florida does. Growing what we can and hunting (or raising) our own meat helps us keep our food bill to around $600 a month for a family of 10 (8 kids and 2 adults).