Trouble sticking to 5-6 mini meals a day.

Options
2»

Replies

• RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it's a myth that 5-6 meals per day has any effect on your metabolism, so if that's your sole reason for doing it you might want to reconsider.

I'm eating 5-6 meals/day, mainly because I find it much easier to resist snacking. It did take me a few weeks for my body to adjust to the change, but I love it now.

There's nothing wrong with having a snack around 10PM, I do it all the time. It's another myth that eating late at night makes you overweight. Just make sure to have something healthy and keep under your goals. It's all about planning your day - most days I try to plan out the entire day rather than waiting until the last meal to find out that I'm over.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Just eat 1 GIANT meal a day.
  • trm981
    trm981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. So I do kind of a combination of big and small meals. I eat 2 or 3 light meals during the day, totaling around 600 calories. Which leaves me 700 calories for a big, satisfying dinner that keeps me filled up til I go to bed so I don't have any urge to snack at night. I do make sure to eat very high protein throughout the day which keeps me full so I'm not starving by the time dinner comes around. This works really well for me.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4728654_speed-up-metabolism.html
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/burning_calories/boost_metabolism.htm

and another from my favorite trainer...Chris Powell

Rule 1. Boost metabolism every three hours with a “Power 3” plate.
    One of the best ways to keep your metabolism working is to eat a small meal every three hours. The plate should have three small portions – one protein, one carbohydrate or fat, and unlimited vegetables. Small, frequent meals keep things moving, the simple act of eating stimulates your metabolism by triggering digestion. Every time your body digests food, it ramps up your total metabolic rate. 3 different foods each time you eat, your metabolism slows down very 3 hours, so by eating every 3 hours you are keeping that metabolism burning.

Rule 2. Turn up your metabolic thermostat
    Your thyroid acts as a metabolic thermostat. It releases hormones that play a major role in controlling your body’s temperature and the rate that your body burns calories. Chris Powell says when your thyroid is working at its max, your metabolism will be sky-high. If your thyroid’s function is impaired, the metabolic rate slows down and leads to weight gain. The key to keeping your thyroid working hard is in eating good carbs, like whole grains, There are some incredible grains out there for you to try – Spelt, Amaranth, Buckwheat & Quinoa, root vegetables – Sweet Potatoes…etc, and beans – Black beans, Aduki beans, Kidney beans. Believe it or not, studies have shown that cutting out carbs from your diet completely can reduce thyroid function by 50%. So, make sure to keep complex carbs in your diet. Carbs make for a healthy thyroid, by cutting out the carbs which you shouldn’t do it will drop your thyroid function by 50% – Eat a rainbow of colours when it comes to fruit.

Rule 3. Build your metabolic muscle – The number-one consumer of calories in your body is muscle. The more muscle mass you have, the more your body works toward burning calories – even when you’re asleep. It’s extremely important to maintain muscle during any weight-loss endeavor. A great way to build muscle is by doing cardio with light weights. It’ll keep your heart rate up, while sculpting your body to be more lean and muscular.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm totally trying to help..but since everyone seemed to be saying how wrong I was, I figured I'd give you some examples lol. Look, you gotta do what works for YOU as does everyone else. We are all in this journey together and I wish EVERYONE all the best :flowerforyou:
  • PurrfumeGIrl
    PurrfumeGIrl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do 5 to 6 meals but I do 3 larger meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and 2 to 3 smaller snack meals in between. My morning snack is yogurt and my afternoon snack is generally a power bar or fruit. I eat at 6, 9, 12, 3 and 6. I recently noticed I wasn't indulging in my evening snack all the time. This just works for me.