New Person Looking for Motivation

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to the site but I see a lot of people saying that they received a lot of motivation from people on here, so here goes. I'm almost 20, not quite 5 feet, and 143 lbs. I know this doesn't seem like a lot of weight, but I am typically an extremely active college student. The problem is, I've gotten an internship over the summer which is a desk job and I cant stay active until school starts back up. I've already gained almost 10 pounds in a few weeks. I'm starting a new diet to see if that helps, so any motivation and suggestions would be lovely!

Thank you :)
~Genie

Replies

• thescrumisfun
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I am on here every day. Welcome to MFP :drinker:
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    Feel free to add me...I'm always looking to others for ideas, support, motivation. You are young and can so kick this in the butt!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Anyone can feel free to add me too! I love to give and receive any support I can!
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can add/friend me too. I'm a graduate student in the same position. The stress has me turnign to food - so I'm really using MFP to help with my motivation. I'm also in Iowa and it's SUPER HOT right now so stepping outside sucks the motivation out of ya - so it's about being creative and moving when you can.
    :-)
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm on here every day.
  • JessaAnn407
    JessaAnn407 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as well! I just became active again on here and need motivation!
  • Alymom2008
    Alymom2008 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can add me too - I'm on every day. This site is great for support. :)
  • tberend
    tberend Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love this place! Feel free to add me!
  • Smileart
    Smileart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! YES a desk job is a problem! It's slows your motabolism and just makes you tired overall when you get home so you don't have the desire to get up and exercise. It is a hard one! Unfortunately it's one MANY of us have to figure out how to work around. I go home and jump on the treadmill first thing. 30 - 40 minutes some days easy some days hard. I work full time, am mom to an 8 year old and partner to a man that works 4 10 hour days in the summer and side jobs all weekend long so if I don't do it right when I get home before I fix dinner, before all my son's piano, scouts and tae kwon do it's 9 pm before i know it. Find that sweet time and dedicate it just for you! You can do it!
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    feel free to add me also. I am at 181 pounds
  • Tomlinson12
    Options
    Feel free to add! Also here daily!
  • Colleenb_2012
    Options
    Feel free to add me :)
  • momiq
    momiq Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job! I have found ways to stay active at work. During my breaks/lunch I go outside and take walks, I take the stairs, I have weights at my desk and do reps when im not busy. I also do wall sits. This should help you shed some of that weight!
  • ReversedTime
    Options
    Add me :) Im 20 and hardly 5ft too!
  • cbelt82
    cbelt82 Posts: 62
    Options
    Hey! Welcome!! I too have a desk job and although I DO get up alot and run around running errands... I find that I snack ALOT more at work then I go when I am home. That is why I rejoined MFP to keep my snacking down. Feel free to add me....and anyone else feel free also!
    love
    cassie
  • CG55
    CG55 Posts: 8
    Options
    Welcome. If you can, try to workout in the morning before work. That way you start your day active and don't leave your workout to chance. It also encourages you to be more active during the day. It may be early and not the most ideal time, but you'll love having it out of the way!
  • geniefae
    geniefae Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Welcome! One tip, CONSISTENCY is key. Never give up!
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    I put on a lot of weight due to a change to a night shift job at a desk. I started running up 4 flights of stairs on every break and throwing in as much cardio as possible at home to help.
  • mebtai2
    mebtai2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree!! I have a desk job so i get up early and get my workout in so that way after work I can relax because I burned 700 calories before some folks roll out of bed. If you are in an apartment complex with a gym, or just getting up and doing a good morning run can start you on the right track. if you want to pick up the pace you can try the RunDouble app "Couch to 5K" that is free to use with jogging/running intervals.