Is there anything you have Given up because you go too far?

Options
Generally speaking most experts would agree that totally restricting yourself of certain foods would make you feel deprived and thus end up quitting. While I agree that if you restrict too much you will end up quitting, what about those foods that you cannot regulate.

But I am curious is there anyone who just decided you cannot EVERY have XYZ because no matter what you always over eat it.

For example, I have been tackling my obsession with tortilla chips and salsa. This is one thing I cannot "eat in moderation." I might pull out a serving of chips and salsa but I will GO BACK FOR MORE. I will continue going back for more until its gone...and seirously I have said things afterwards like "why did I do that." "It want happen next time." I feel sooo freaking guilty aftewards.
And Heaven forbid I go somewhere that serves tortilla chips on the table.....I iwll seriously eat them all and then some...to the point of not eating an entree or over eating.

I have considered just not eating them EVER. It seems I can do well not eat them but once that tasty combo of salsa and salted fried corn tortilla hits my mouth its all over.

Have you given up a food because you know its a leap over the edge?

Denise

Replies

• muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love chips and salsa, but I found that I made my own salsa (more of a pico de galo) and there are very few calories in that, I add a little salt and I actually eat that like it's ice cream... The chips were not what I was craving after all... maybe that would work.

I am really trying to just eat in moderation, I have four girls watching every move I make, and it is up to me to set that example for them, I'm pretty motivated.
  • emilynyman00
    emilynyman00 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thats me and icecream.
    When im at home, ill give a serving size to everyone else. and then when it comes to me, ill get 2 servings and alot of chocolate. then eat of of the container!
    I just dont eat icecream unless i go to mcdonalds where they serve serving sizes.

and next time you eat chips and salsa, get your serving size, then get someone else to go hide the chips. that way you dont over eat
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Chips of all kinds
  • Konamission
    Options
    Mayb I should stop buying wheat thins. I thought it would be healthier than chips when Im studying but when you sit there for 4- 5 hrs I end up eating the whole box!!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    No.

I give nothing up. I manage accordingly.
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    PIZZA!!!!!!!!! I miss it like crazy but I can eat 2 pieces wait 20 min and eat 2 more and keep doing this until its gone! And I refuse to let pizza go to waste so needless to say I just don't get it anymore. I have been making pita pizza with I can do for under 250 cal and it is super yummy but still not the real thing. I dont know that I will ever be able to eat it again because 1 slice is never going to be enough!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Coca-Cola. If I drink one, I will drink a 12 pack. I try to not touch them at all. I have been known to drink a 2 liter in less than 2 hours! This is why I know that foods are addictive
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Coca-Cola. If I drink one, I will drink a 12 pack. I try to not touch them at all. I have been known to drink a 2 liter in less than 2 hours! This is why I know that foods are addictive

Coca-Cola from McDonald's is my treat. Its the perfect Coke. EVER!!!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Pizza, but I make my own healthier pizza at home instead.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Give up completely? No, but there are many that I just don't keep around the house very often because I hate the temptation. Chips, ice cream, certain candies. I generally can manage pretty good, but in those times when I'm super hungry (after work & before dinner!) I'm always tempted to snack on them. If they're not around then I don't have to deal with that.

If I pre-package stuff into appropriate portions I'm much less likely to mindlessly munch on stuff. I know that if I'm going to open a package I've made a commitment to eat the whole thing and it makes me stop and think about whether I really want all those calories on my log (and whether I can afford them). Other stuff (like pizza) I just think of as a once-in-a-while treat and only get it when I go out with friends and can share.
  • jesss5885
    jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ordering take out from the diner and pizza place.

i end up eating WAY too many slices, or ordering a cheeseburger with cheese fries and devouring it too quickly.
    Now, i like to just homemake whatever i'm craving so i can control the portions and ingredients.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    Any kind of sugary drink (carbonated and not carbonated) I could easily drink a 3 liter and go for more. And once I drink one, I want more.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I gave up donuts. I used to eat donuts or donut holes every day for breakfast. It's been almost a year but oh so worth it. When I ride my bike to the gym, I go right past the donut place and all I can smell is the stale grease. That helps.

Other than that, no. I just learned how to say/live/understand moderation!
  • mzkaylea
    mzkaylea Posts: 3
    Options
    i have actually had to give up coke completely :(
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    No. And occasionally I do go too far. But I have more good days than bad days.
  • AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Mayb I should stop buying wheat thins. I thought it would be healthier than chips when Im studying but when you sit there for 4- 5 hrs I end up eating the whole box!!

I am the same way with the wheat thins!!! OMG they are so addicting! I have challenged myself to make them last longer and then hide them each time i get some, hehe
  • dewhomeschooling
    dewhomeschooling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Extra Movie Butter Microwave Popcorn....I EAT the whole bag!
  • emmymae22
    emmymae22 Posts: 206
    Options
    I can't bring Doritos into this house. Just can't do it. I eat one and it's aaaall over. That and donuts.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    popcorn. Its very hard for me to quit with that. I have reverted to air-popped so its not AS bad...but i consume large quanities.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Give up completely? No, but there are many that I just don't keep around the house very often because I hate the temptation. Chips, ice cream, certain candies. I generally can manage pretty good, but in those times when I'm super hungry (after work & before dinner!) I'm always tempted to snack on them. If they're not around then I don't have to deal with that.

I'm the same, havent given anything up completely but I have stopped buying foods like tortilla chips because they are just too yummy. Same with side kicks pasta.. I always eat the whole package if I make it.