People with jobs and/or children...

Options

Replies

• cathiaflock
    cathiaflock Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's just all about how badly you want it. You want it badly enough, you'll make the time.

I agree with you; I don't have kids but I'm married and work full time. Next month I'll be taking a few online classes to get closer to my bachelors. It will be demanding and I'll have to figure out a new schedule. But it wouldn't be so rewarding without life's challenges!!! Good Luck to everyone!!
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For a long time I made excuses, saying I just didn't have any time to exercise. But once it became a priority in my life, I made time. I get up at 5 during the week so I can run or go to the gym before work. It was a challenge at first, but now that I'm used to the routine I love it.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    don't work but I do have 5 kids. The eating healthier part is easy because I am doing it for them too. I want them to be healthier. The exercise I do when my youngest is napping and tell the others to go play :). I am worried about when school starts. I homeschool my 3 school aged children and I don't know how I am going to fit the exercise in but I know I have to.....maybe some quiet reading time for them, I don't know yet.
    Major kudos to you!! WHy not a phys ed. class where you all workout together?
  • HulaHips83
    HulaHips83 Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks! Full time employee, full time student, and 2 kids. When I use cardio dvd's, the kids do it with me and it makes it more fun and I burn more calories because I laugh so hard at them.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's not draining it's energizing, confidence building and stress relieving. My life would be HARDER if I didn't exercise and eat mostly healthy.
  • misskatibear
    misskatibear Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If all your posts aren't a huge motivation I don't know what is!

A few of you have said that you just make it work, I guess I won't know until I am in that position, but I live with my nephew of 2 years old, and even he, alone is a huge handful (not for me, for his mum) and his mum doesn't even work!

Whenever I'm feeling tired or lazy - I can just read back on all your comments and think, hey they have A LOT more on their plate than me and still manage to do it - move your butt.

And casperuk, I didn't mean to offend giving a salute I wasn't being condescending or anything - I genuinely mean it - but I still feel like you all deserve it!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    it's definately a sacrifice especially if you and your spouse are working out! seems like you have to put everything on the calendar. haha!
  • EmilyMarieMo
    EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I am mom of two little ones and work a full time desk job with an hour commute each way. For the longest time I thought there was no way to "make time". Now, I believe I wasn't trying hard enough, and it was just an excuse!

I exercise on my hour lunch break out side as long as it's not raining. I can't afford the gym! But I get out there in the wind, heat or cold now and do it for 20-40 mins! And I had to re-prioritize my evenings to be able to run at night after the kids go to bed or do a DVD in the living room if I can't get my exercise in at lunch time. I also get out more with the kids taking walks and stuff. People are EXCELLENT at coming up with excuses to not be the best they can be!

If you have time to read your FB newsfeed....then you have time to exchange that for more movement in life in one form or another! 5-10 mins of exercise can burn more calories AND make you feel better than taking that time for a "break" b/c you are tired!
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's far from easy, that's for sure. I have 3 kids, 2 still at home. Work full time. Go to school part time. And I'm a single mom. I guess if it's worth it, you just find a way to make it work. :)
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it!! I lost the majority of my weight as a single mom with 2 kids, going to school full time and working full time :) I am now married, with 4 kids, still working full time and losing that last bit of weight...you have to schedule it, just like making time for the rest of the familys things like sports and clubs! I get up 2 hours before anyone else to workout, make a meal plan for the week and stick to it, and prep the meals for a few hours on Sundays!! I finally sit down at about 10pm but I am always overwhelmed with a sense of accomplishment!! Thank you :) it is hard work but it is soooo worth it! :)
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's just all about how badly you want it. You want it badly enough, you'll make the time.
    ^^exactly^^

I work full time, take online college courses as a full time student and have three kids (one dog and nine chickens :laugh: ). It's so easy to make excuses but I'd prefer to make progress. I do not do it all on my own though. My partner and my children play a big role in my being able to spend time away from the home to exercise. And as long as I am excited about good-for-you foods, they are too.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the salute! I'm a single mom of 2 (ages 7 & 4), working full-time (with periodic travel), home owner etc. These past few months have probably been the most stressful and tiring in my recent years (since being divorced), but I am very proud of where I am. Some days I am on the go for about 16 hours straight before I get a rest. I eat primarily whole foods and there are days when I make 3 different meals at night in order to please everyone. In order to get to where I am now I seriously had to talk to my girls and explain to them that we're taking a year off of "scheduled group" (swimming, basketball etc) activities for them so that I could focus on me. I told them we would do more random fun things such as the bike path or a hike or swimming. And they were ok (I'm not sure why we book ourselves crazy...we were doing gymnastics, swimming and basketball at once and I was sitting on my butt watching. I decided that it really wasn't that important that they couldn't live a year without these (they get swimming daily at preschool and summer camp, as well as other activities like gymnastics) so they really didn't get a bad deal. My oldest still does girl scouts since it is right at her school and I didn't have to modify anything so that she could attend. I think as mom's we just have to make a concious effort to put ourselves first because it really doesn't come naturally. Some days are rougher than others, but I have no plans to go any where but forward from now on.
  • jenb6723
    jenb6723 Posts: 13
    Options
    I will fully admit that I am proud to say that yes - I work full time and have three kids (9,7,3) and I don't just work out - I TRAIN! I run half marathons, I get my behind to the gym 6 days a week , I eat right and log my food and I LOOK GOOD!

It is so crazy to me that mother's let themselves go and say i don't have time to work out. Bull!!! You MAKE time. I am up at 4:45AM working out before my kids ever get out of bed. I work on packing my healthy breakfast, lunch and snacks while I am cooking dinner at night so that I don't have to eat out or worry about making bad food choices while at work.

Thank you for admitting it may be a bit harder for some, but let's hope more people stop using it as an excuse!
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It helps to have teenagers (I have one) and, I hate to say it, but not being in a relationship means I do not feel guilty about going out for a few hours several times a week but this means almost no television and little time on the computer in the evenings. My son has his own interests and I generally have to coax him out to communicate whether I am exercising or not. I know it is much harder for those with younger children or with a new relationship where time priorities are viewed differently.

Work is a non-issue since my exercise generally occurs during non-work hours (throw in the occasional day off to ride).
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Awwwww shucks! I'm a single mom of 7 yr old twin boys & I have a 40 hr + a week job along with a 1 hr each way commute. Wait... now I'm sleepy LMAO!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    its quite simple really. You can have results or excuses (job/children/whatever), but not both. Choose wisely.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have 2 little ones (ages 6 and 3), and work 40 hrs per week with a hubby that works close to 50 hrs per week. It's tough, but worth it. Eating healthy is definately not #1 on my priority list, but we try. My main goal with eating healthy is making the KIDS eat healthy. And luckily they LOVE fruits and veggies!

Then I just work out when I can. Get up before they do to run. Ride my recumbent bike after they go to bed. Stuff like that. If you want it bad enough, you'll figure out a way to get it!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Single mom with a teenager, an elderly parent at home and 2 jobs (roughly 60 hours a week). It's NOT easy, but one of my favorite quotes is.....

"If it's important you'll find a way. If it isn't, you'll find an excuse." :)

When necessary, I get up at 4:30 or 5:00 and run before I go to job #1. LOL
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Wife and I both work 45+ hours a week, raise 2 boys, have a farm and a house in town. When I get a night off, i party like a rock star!!!
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am a single parent, work full time, two children one of whom is Autistic (13) and the other a professional dancer (at 9!), I work with my trainer 6 hours a week and at home whenever I can fit it in between mowing the lawn and doing the dishes. Scheduling is key to succeeding!