Former smokers

Options

Replies

• hyndsie
    hyndsie Posts: 22
    Options
    i quit smoking 4 months ago with nicotine patches. hardest was the first 5 days. but i was determined to quit so stuck it out. i also quit drinking coffee as for me they went hand in hand - i had a smoke when i drank a cuppa. i put on 10lbs in the first month of quitting hence why im here lol.

16 weeks later and still determined to stay off the cigarettes, and ive lost 28lb!! so big success to me all round!!
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I took up cycling, and my breathlessness up the hills convinced me I needed to stop if I ever wanted to be any good at it.
  • April4074
    April4074 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    6 yrs ago..I found out I was pregnant and never picked another one up. I think after listening to everyones story I find that everyone had "their reason" it gave them the motivation to stick with it.... So just take a good look at yourself and find your reason....If your looking to quit you can do it :)
  • Velveteen74
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back after 20 years puffing away.

Seriously, I owe my freedom from smokes to that man.

This but I only smoked for 10 years. It was easy and I've tried hypnotherapy, accupuncture, chewing gum, patches etc!
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    I celebrated my 1 year smoke free on the 03 July 2012 !

This is my fiance's dads birthday, we all went out for a meal and then at around 5:30 I smoke my last one and honestly never looked back, not one puff !

I did it cold turkey, its right what they say you have to want to quit for you and your reasons and not rely heavily on other people or aids they do help but you need to put most of the work in to gain the benefit !

I believe anyone can quit, its got to be the right time and you must be 100% sure you wont talk yourself out of it and for the record "one wont hurt" its all lies haha now thinking if I had 1 whilst trying to quit i would have been doomed haha
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 20 years an quit 3 years ago using the e-cigarette.

I started with the nicotine cartridge equivalent to "Lights" and ordered the next step down each time I needed more cartridges until I was using 0% nicotine cartridges.

One day, my e-cig went through the laundry in my shirt pocket and the battery wouldn't charge anymore. I just never ordered another one.

I highly recommend this method to anyone that is more enamored with the physical act of smoking than they are addicted to nicotine.

I tried patches in the past, but they wouldn't stay lit.

The gum was gross and my wife complained that my mouth tasted like metal all the time.

The e-cig was the only thing that worked for me

I still want a cigarette from time-to-time.

My wife let me have a Marlboro Ultra Light for Christmas last year. My fever spiked to 102, I broke out in the shakes & cold sweats, and then puked my Taco Bell Nachos Bellgrande all over the bathroom floor.

I guess my smoking days are over.
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    to the other guy who read Allen Carrs Easy Way book:

Me too.

read his book and quit overnight. 2 and a half years for me :)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr, Easy Way ... Did it cold turkey, never looked back after 20 years puffing away.

Seriously, I owe my freedom from smokes to that man.

Same for me. Allen Carr's book freed me from the bondage of tobacco. Cold turkey is the only one that worked for me.No regrets. One year and five months smoke free, no cravings or desires to ever pickup this dirty habit again. :)
    Same here :)
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy....lol...no seriously...I got preggo n quit....when I smoked one after 9 months it literally made me sick.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Nine weeks on Chantix and a strong willingness to quit.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    3-4 weeks on the patch, C25K running program and a strong desire to rid myself once and for all of the 'smokers cough' that was plaguing me!

I will be 6 months smoke-free on July 29th,.

EDIT: Regarding Chantix...proceed with caution. It works great for some people, but others have HORRIBLE psychotic dreams (myself included).
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I quit when I knew I never wanted my boyfriend to turn away from me when I tried to kiss him (he HATES smoking, never smoked in his life).

I quit cold turkey when we were dating 2-3 months, and haven't smoked regularly during the time we've been together, going on 4 years now.

I cheat sometimes and will split a cigarette with a friend when we're out drinking, but that is exactly why I stay away from bars and alcohol, it always makes me want to light up.

Stay away from temptations!
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Ok here is my story. I am 31 years old, smoked since I was 14 or 15. The last 10 years or so, I smoked ALOT. When I say alot, I mean I had to have one as soon as I woke up, 2 or 3 after every meal, and one right before bed....heck I even smoked while taking a bubble bath! And not to mention when I worked, I got a 15 min break in the am and pm and during that 15 mins I would smoke THREE!! No lie.....

So, last year in April, I lost my Mom...she was 58 years old, heavy smoker and overweight. She died very unexpectedly because she seemed to be overall in good health...she went into the hospital with strep pneumonia and ended up in ICU the next day and developed ARDS which is Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome....not necessarily because she smoked but her pulmonologist said it certainly didn't help. BUT, that's not the real big reason why I quit (although it should've been). 2 weeks from the day I buried her, I found out I was pregnant. First time ever and had been trying for several years...total shock! 3 days later my husband and I put them down COLD TURKEY!!! AND to make the story even better and to tell you that it CAN BE DONE, we were both over the road truck drivers...he slept while I drove and I slept while he drove so obviously the only thing we could do while driving was smoke, listen to the radio, eat, or talk on the phone....it actually was not near as hard as I thought it would be and now my daughter just turned 6 months old on July 10th, I still have not had a cigarette since May 20th of 2011. One of the best things I HAVE EVER DONE!!! It can be done, I will tell you!

Oh yea and we tried the electronic cigarettes in the stores and didn't like them at all...just FYI.

Good luck, I hope you are considering quitting and that is your reasoning for this post!!!

Feel free to add me if you'd like!!
  • denisebme
    denisebme Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was a 30 year smoker, and I just quit cold turkey. My best friend, also a smoker, barely survived a massive stroke at 50 in September 2011. My aunt, not even 60, passed away the following month,
    Watching my best friend fight to recover really woke me up. She finally came home from the rehab center on December 6, and I smoked my last cigarette when I went to bed that night.
    Quitting was one of the toughest things I've ever done, particularly since my husband still smokes. 7 months later I feel like a brand new person, and I will never go back!
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Glad to read these stories. Lots of inspiration and encouragement for me! I'm still trying to quit smoking. Right now I'm taking an herb called Lobelia, which works on the nicotine receptors. It has some side effects, but I definitely see a reduction in cravings. I've done the patch and wellbutrin, but both gave me extreme anxiety. I have depression so can't use Chantix :/ I'm probably going to up my dose of Lobelia as my body gets more used to it, stay on it for a week or so, and then start reducing quickly once I disassociate myself from the physical habit. We'll see how it goes...
  • MonicaLee92
    MonicaLee92 Posts: 222
    Options
    I did it by just slowley stopping and replacing smoking with something different. Whether it be working out, or going for a drive, cleaning, reading, watching tv. I just kept myself distracted from it.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Quit 2+ years ago now!
  • Puddles0308
    Options
    Cold turkey. Today is day 19. Cravings have slowed. Mood swings have ended and I can finally sleep without benedryl or alcohol. And I can officially breathe better during 30DS haha.
  • 2fat4knees
    2fat4knees Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey but I prepared for it , physically and mentally beforehand. I choose a "quit date" and started cutting down before that date. First I stopped smoking in my ( new) car because I didn't want my new ride to stink!:) Then I stopped smoking in my living room and removed all the ashtrays in the house except in my computer room, which by then was the only room I smoked in. I bought a couple of bags of hard sugarless candies for something to appease the oral fixation. If you always smoke after a meal, brush your teeth right away after eating...that fresh, minty mouth feeling helps you not want to smoke. I enlisted a support group of friends and family to cheer me on...I have been quit for five months now.
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on the first of April 2012 after being diagnosed type 2 diabetic by using Champix, took them for the full 12 weeks and it seemed to take the edge off a little but after best part of 30 years smoking I still crave them a bit. Whenever I start getting the urge to smoke now I try to do something to keep my mind occupied and tell myself over and over that I can't possibly be craving the nicotine after 3 months and it seems to help, best of luck with your efforts