Scared of STARVATION MODE?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yeah--I have noticed the daily calorie count when I put in my menu for the day acts strangely. Some days I put in just a few things and it adds up quickly (and my exercise is more or less the sameish every day) and other days I put in a ton of stuff and it still doesn't come up to the minimum. Like today--when I put in a typical breakfast and lunch for me and pot roast (3ozs. meat per serving plus carrots, onions, celery and potatoes) for dinner, it still told me it was only 770 calories for the day. I checked my pot roast recipe to see if I misentered something but all looks normal. Even when I doubled my breakfast portions to make up some calories, it still only comes to 900 some odd. I'm like sheesh! I can't put anything else in here -- not like I'm starving myself and barely eating. Looking at the menu, it looks robust and healthy until I look at the calories. But since it's not an everyday thing, I'm not going to worry about it. Maybe I'll make some yummy dessert to treat myself since I'm so far under and have room for it. I am 5' 1.5" and generally shoot for somewhere between 1200 and 1400. My exercise allows me more than that, but generally if I eat more, I stop losing. So I go for that lower range because it works for me and I don't feel hungry or deprived or unmotivated. Sometimes I am 50-100 cal under the 1200 and occasionally I have a weird day like today where I can add in 3 robust meals and still be WAY under. I am losing at a healthy rate though so I am not too worried about it. I think everyone else is right -- everyone's body is different and any "program" can only give you generalities. Tweak it for what works for you within healthy recommendations and go with it. If you are healthy, eating decent size meals on a regular basis, exercising and you don't feel sluggish or sick -- go for it and don't worry about the occasional under or over day. If you want to better control your calories though, try cooking from scratch. We've had to do that the last 10 years or so because of my husband's diabetes and that REALLY helps with calorie counts! Doesn't have to be fancy -- just made up of one ingredient foods. And use the recipe tool to enter your recipes with the specific ingredients you use by brand and type for the most accurate calorie calculation for the way you prepare it. Hope that helps!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    While it does take some time for "starvation mode" to kick in, low calories does have an impact on your metabolism. The less you feed it, the slower it goes.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    But you never negate the dip in calories by a decrease in BMR. Like maybe if you reduce to 1000 deficit per day, your BMR falls 100/day (as compared to where it is when you eat at only a 250 calorie deficit). People here sometimes talk like if you dip to 1000/day, your BMR falls to zero and you suddenly gain weight at some alarming rate. And it's a permanent change to your BMR. It's really not like that.
  • jen0727
    jen0727 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    could you help me also...figure out what i should be eating for calories in a day...i am 5'5 weight 155 and am a inhome childcare provider with light to little excerise...want to get to 135-140
  • jen0727
    jen0727 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I have been doing well the last few days and managing only to eat maybe 200 or so calories under the 1,200 cal mark. I'm not doing it purposely, it's just the foods in my house at the moment are quite fatty and convenient as I have just started this diet! So I am trying to eat very little of it, or have an alternative!

So, question is, does your body actually go into starvation mode and pile on the pounds, OR is just this when you are SERIOUSLY below your daily cal intake?

Advice would be so appreciated, thanks :)

BTW you arent eating enough.

Just so I can clarify...

Post your:
    Weight
    How often you work out.

I'll post from 2 different sources what you should be eating daily to lose fat.

I'm 19, I am 5'9, I weigh 162 lbs at the moment and I don't work out as of yet, however my treadmill will be set up soon, so that will be a daily occurence.

As I said, I am not purposely eating low amounts, I'm just trying to pick through the relatively healthy food that is left in my house before I do a larger shop, which will be in about a weeks time.

Okay.
    Just remember that ANY food eaten in a defcit will result in weight loss.

So you can have a box of HoHos and if you are burning more cals a day than you eat, youll lose weight.

Heres Fat 2 Fits results.

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is >>>>>>1595 calories.<<<<<<

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1914
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2193 <---Right now you are this.
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2472 <---once you workout youll be this.
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2751
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3031

If you eat anything below the light activity number youll lose weight.
    Under the Harris Benedict Formula I pointed to your BMR.
    Try never to eat below that number.

Heres my calcs:

BMR 1577
    TDEE 2168

Eating fatty foods isnt a bad thing.
    I eat tons of fatty foods on rest days.
    Its if you push yourself into a caloric surplus that the fatty foods become an issue.
    Eating fat isnt bad.

So just eat.
    And log your food.
    And stay below 2100 cals and above 1600.
    Youll lose inches in no time.

Today i'll push my fat intake way up.
    I'm excited about it!
    I'll just stay below what I burn and i'll remain lean!

Savvy?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    could you help me also...figure out what i should be eating for calories in a day...i am 5'5 weight 155 and am a inhome childcare provider with light to little excerise...want to get to 135-140

Eat more than BMR. Eat less than TDEE. Create calorie deficit of 500 to 1000 via the calorie deficit from TDEE-(How much you eat) and exercise.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I did not read everyones post but here is what I have learned. The slowing of the metabolism caused by eat too few calories(starvation mode), named for the bodies inherent triggering that it needs to store fat for future use due to lack of calories in the diet, doesn't happen for a few days as was said earlier. What people don't realize is that starvation mode actually starts to kick in if you haven't eaten for 3.5 to 4 hrs or more. The body releases coritsol, which is responsible for using muscle cells for energy and storing fat cells for later use. Therefore you should try to eat at least 200 cals of something every 3 to 3.5 hrs. I would eat anything available for those cals, as fat doesn't cause fat, excess calories do, and eating too few and not often enough. So if my choice was a high fat food that I had til I could get healthier food and not eating I would choose the food. This is also the reason that break-fast is the most important meal for those on weight loss/muscle gain programs. Pro bodybuilders actually keep food by their beds at night so they can wake up in the middle of the night and eat without having to get out of bed. They eat every 2.5 to 3 hrs. After a long night of sleep your body is raging with cortisol. So the sooner you feed it the sooner it goes back to normal. Also when pro fitness models etc. need to lose the last 5 lbs of weight so their abs show good. The old theory of less cals and more exercise isn't usually the answer. They many times actually add another snack/meal of 200cals to their diet and do not change their exercise regimen. This boost the metabolism so they actually lose the pounds while eating more. I hope this helps. If you would like to, feel free to add me as a friend. I will do what I can to help. Anyone else please feel free to add me also.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am quite similar to you OP, but my weight loss has been at about 1-2lb a week every week for 5 weeks now, so I don't think it's quite low enough for me to go into starvation. Having said that I have been doing other stuff to keep my metabolism up such as the correct sort of exercise, eating foods that keep the metabolism up and giving myself a cheat meal once a week.
  • HaloKelly1
    HaloKelly1 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'd just like to say thank you for all the comments and everything guys!
  • LadyL2012
    Options
    Hey guys,

I have been doing well the last few days and managing only to eat maybe 200 or so calories under the 1,200 cal mark. I'm not doing it purposely, it's just the foods in my house at the moment are quite fatty and convenient as I have just started this diet! So I am trying to eat very little of it, or have an alternative!

So, question is, does your body actually go into starvation mode and pile on the pounds, OR is just this when you are SERIOUSLY below your daily cal intake?

Just so I can clarify...

Post your:
    Weight
    How often you work out.

I'm 19, I am 5'9, I weigh 162 lbs at the moment and I don't work out as of yet, however my treadmill will be set up soon, so that will be a daily occurence.

As I said, I am not purposely eating low amounts, I'm just trying to pick through the relatively healthy food that is left in my house before I do a larger shop, which will be in about a weeks time.

Okay.

So you can have a box of HoHos and if you are burning more cals a day than you eat, youll lose weight.

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is >>>>>>1595 calories.<<<<<<

Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2193 <---Right now you are this.
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2472 <---once you workout youll be this.
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3031

Heres my calcs:

BMR 1577
    TDEE 2168

Its if you push yourself into a caloric surplus that the fatty foods become an issue.
    Eating fat isnt bad.

So just eat.
    And log your food.

I'm excited about it!

Savvy?

I dunno, I'm quite sceptical of the results I got on this. It says to reach my goal I should be eating 2000 a day. I never ate that much a day originally and I put on weight.
  • indyang77
    indyang77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can you help me too?? I posted something similar and can't get any replies :( Or maybe search for my post in the same category, it's titled "Help! Can't get my calories right!" Thak you :)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Just so I can clarify...

Post your:
    Weight
    How often you work out.

Okay.

Harris-Benedict Formula

Heres my calcs:

BMR 1577
    TDEE 2168

Eating fat isnt bad.

So just eat.
    And log your food.

I'm excited about it!

Savvy?

I dunno, I'm quite sceptical of the results I got on this. It says to reach my goal I should be eating 2000 a day. I never ate that much a day originally and I put on weight.

You put on water weight.

Every gram of carbohydrate eaten binds with 3-4g water.
    So its normal to gain water weight when you up calories.
    Anywho....

Do it your way.
    It seems to work.

You can read this post for more info on my methods.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • wildflowerklc
    wildflowerklc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I see what you are saying! I'm in the same boat. It says eat 1200 and I eat about 1000. I feel like I spread my calories throughout the day enough that I never feel hungry, I just ONLY eat healthy things. There is nothing wrong with eating less calories, just make sure you pay attention to the other nutritional elements this tool tracks for you. Are you getting enough protein? Are you eating enough fiber and fat? Those are incredibly important. Not to say that caloric intake is not important, its just that the nutritional value is worth more to your diet than the quantity. If you are having a loaf of bread every day, you aren't getting the protein you need for example. It may be enough calories, but it's not what your body needs on a daily basis. Based on your activity level and your BMI, if you are petite like me and dont do a lot of activity day to day (office job) then 1000 calories is just fine. But no less! On days you exercise, it's VERY important that you get enough to eat.
  • placeboaddiction
    placeboaddiction Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I've personally been through starvation mode. Its not instant. It takes time. It is hell. I wouldn't wish it on to any of you. My starvation mode started when I took penicilin and had an allergic reaction. Went through fevers really bad, and couldn't hold down food. After that experience, i got better, but then didn't desire food anymore. I thought that was nice...but then i was collapsing randomly. It was awful. I'd eat 1 slice of bread and be full. It took me a month of eating nuts to stimulate appetite and vitamin supplementation to get back on my feet. Thats starvation. When your body no longer desires food.
  • LadyL2012
    Options
    Helloitsdan,

I respect what youre saying but at my current weight my TDEE is 2000 to sustain my current overweight self at this weight, so how could it still be 2000 at 30lbs lighter at my goal weight? Not arguing, just asking.
  • AFitJamie
    AFitJamie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did not read everyones post but here is what I have learned. The slowing of the metabolism caused by eat too few calories(starvation mode), named for the bodies inherent triggering that it needs to store fat for future use due to lack of calories in the diet, doesn't happen for a few days as was said earlier. What people don't realize is that starvation mode actually starts to kick in if you haven't eaten for 3.5 to 4 hrs or more. The body releases coritsol, which is responsible for using muscle cells for energy and storing fat cells for later use. Therefore you should try to eat at least 200 cals of something every 3 to 3.5 hrs. I would eat anything available for those cals, as fat doesn't cause fat, excess calories do, and eating too few and not often enough. So if my choice was a high fat food that I had til I could get healthier food and not eating I would choose the food. This is also the reason that break-fast is the most important meal for those on weight loss/muscle gain programs. Pro bodybuilders actually keep food by their beds at night so they can wake up in the middle of the night and eat without having to get out of bed. They eat every 2.5 to 3 hrs. After a long night of sleep your body is raging with cortisol. So the sooner you feed it the sooner it goes back to normal. Also when pro fitness models etc. need to lose the last 5 lbs of weight so their abs show good. The old theory of less cals and more exercise isn't usually the answer. They many times actually add another snack/meal of 200cals to their diet and do not change their exercise regimen. This boost the metabolism so they actually lose the pounds while eating more. I hope this helps. If you would like to, feel free to add me as a friend. I will do what I can to help. Anyone else please feel free to add me also.

Hi Preacher,

I saw your post and no reply to it so felt I should post a quick message... Respectfully, I disagree strongly. If you do more research you will find that timing of meals, frequency of meals, etc have no impact on weight *loss*. Calories in vs calories out is what matters. So if you add an extra 200 calories in a meal to adjust timing...all you have done is given your body fuel to burn... It won't need to fuel itself from fat stores. There are a lot of circumstances where someone may wish to ensure they are eating enough and want to add a few calories to their diet, but timing of meals and frequency of meals are common fallacies. Generally people stop eating after 6:00 and say it worked so it must be true... But perhaps what it really does is stop someone from snacking while watching tv.... If you count all the calories in a day, it really doesn't matter if they are eaten in one meal or spread over 20. not to say some people don't benefit from frequent eating... For some people it helps ensure they do not binge at their one larger meal, but it isn't the frequency that matters at all... It is the calorie intake. So if people don't like breakfast and feel awful after eating it, don't eat until later... If people prefer a larger lunch... Ok, if people prefer to graze all day, fine....

As has been said, basic outlines for most people (people with more to lose can sustain largr deficits generally, etc, but....) : eat at a NET calorie count above BMR, below TDEE, get enough protein and workout to help ensure a high % of loss will be fat and not lean muscle mass, count everything as carefully as is reasonable..