Replies

• utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    butter is natural/margarine is not!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I use neither. But if I had to pick, I would use butter. My college bio professor told us that margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. Ever since then, I stay away from it.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    and easy way to judge anything is to look at the ingredients, if there is more ingredients chances are its checmicals. Purer food will be just that, less altered. and that is always better for you!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Real butter and real cream in my coffee when I have it. Only takes a dab of the real stuff to taste good.
  • llstacy
    llstacy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Butter! It's delicious and nutritious. :smile:
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Proper butter. Always. :flowerforyou:
  • dvnjustina
    dvnjustina Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Olive oil for stove top.
    Canola oil cooking spray for oven.
    Butter and butter spreads (butter + olive oil) for almost everything else.
    Shortening for cookies or recipes that specifically call for shortening.

Honestly, I have margarine tucked away in my freezer for holiday cookie making.
  • popHayes
    popHayes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Butter and Olive oil for me. Everything I read on the subject seems to point towards butter being healthier than previously thought. Do your own research though.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I use neither. But if I had to pick, I would use butter. My college bio professor told us that margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. Ever since then, I stay away from it.

Seriously? And you believed that?

Use butter for baking (when called for); oils, as required; but for toast, popcorn and everyday pan frying it's Becel margarine... 80% less saturated fat than butter, it's non-hydrodgenated, no trans fat.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    IMHO, butter *is* great for you. (This erroneous belief that fat is bad for you is sooooo 1990s.)

My preference is from grassfed: Kerrygold (silver, unsalted).

Another good cooking fat to consider is coconut oil...and bacon grease...and beef tallow...

(And olive oil is great when it isn't heated.)
  • cdstichter
    Options
    I used to use margarine only. Now though I'm hearing that butter is actually healthier although higher in calories. So...I don't worry too much about it and use butter when it makes a better product. HOWEVER, canola oil and others always win out for stirfries and some baking!! Olive oil too.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    butter!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Here is a little experiment for you to try then make up your mind.

Put a tub of butter and a tub of margarine out on your deck. She which the flies eat. Then you eat the same as them. (no, not from that tub...you get a new tub.)

Now, take the tub of margarine, put the top on it and bring it back to the store and tell them if a fly won't eat it you probably shouldn't either.
  • 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    butter and olive oil and guacamoli even butter just use little less
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I use butter. It's real and tasty.
    ^ This ^
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Butter!!! tastes better and natural. Margarine just doesnt taste right and there sooo much crap in it!!!! Just modaration w/the butter!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Butter or nothing.....:drinker:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Butter! Love the butter!
    Coconut oil and bacon fat is also good for stir fry's.

Be careful cooking with olive oil. Though the exact smoke point for EVOO is hard to find, it's generally fund to be quite low (between 200 & 300F). Once it reaches that, it begins to breakdown and releases free radicals. Anyhow, just a word of caution I guess.
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm with the butter people. Margarine is heavily processed and full of stuff I don't want to eat. And butter tastes better. However, I use mustard or something else as a spread for sandwiches. I rarely put butter on bread. I just use it to add to sauces to get out some flavor, and stuff like that.

For frying, I prefer oil (rapeseed, olive) or a mixture of oil and butter.

My motto is: Eat the real stuff, but in moderation! I hate replacement products and most of the reduced fat / nonfat junk.
  • eilmeister
    eilmeister Posts: 37
    Options
    did you know that left in the woods a bear will not eat margarine? They don't see it as food. That is a great indicator of whether you should eat it or not! lol

But racoons will.

Racoons will eat anything. I doubt they have any sense at all of what to eat and what not... :-)