If low carb works, why are people still fat?

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I took it to mean that whatever you did to lose the weight is what you need to maintain the weight loss. So if you cut out all the refined carbs to lose the weight you can't add them back in once you reach your goal weight -- this is your diet for life.

If so, I'd say you took it in a far more positive light than most would take it in. It's a comparison between 2 extremes. There are many dietary choices that do not involve these extremes. I eat neither low carb or "junk food all day". Kind of offensive really. Although not dissimilar to most of what these kind of theads turn into as you well know.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I took it to mean that whatever you did to lose the weight is what you need to maintain the weight loss. So if you cut out all the refined carbs to lose the weight you can't add them back in once you reach your goal weight -- this is your diet for life.

If so, I'd say you took it in a far more positive light than most would take it in. It's a comparison between 2 extremes. There are many dietary choices that do not involve these extremes. I eat neither low carb or "junk food all day". Kind of offensive really. Although not dissimilar to most of what these kind of theads turn into as you well know.
    Really? I find it hard to believe anyone would be offended by a statement saying low carb is a lifestyle and you can't return to your junk food ways in order to maintain it. But I'm continually surprised that anyone would care about anyone else's diet to begin with so I'm probably wrong about this too. :laugh:
  • LollyGrits
    Options
    Totally Agree!! Plus You Must Incorporate Some Type Of Exercise Every Day! Cardio Every Day Plus Strength Training Every Other Day Works For Me!
  • lilybeth1222
    Options

Really? I find it hard to believe anyone would be offended by a statement saying low carb is a lifestyle and you can't return to your junk food ways in order to maintain it. But I'm continually surprised that anyone would care about anyone else's diet to begin with so I'm probably wrong about this too. :laugh:

just to add my 2 cents in agreement with Alabaster, there is strong research to support the idea that a calorie is not just a calorie. Carbs do behave differently, have a different glycemic effect in our bodies. this paper that was recently released examined closely three popular diets in obese individuals who had lost significant weight. i'll leave it up to you all to draw your own conclusions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/study-challenges-the-notion-that-a-calorie-is-just-a-calorie-2012-06-26
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Isn't the author the war on insulin dope?

anyways, as usual it contains trash like this
    The formal recommendation of the USDA, AHA, AMA, ADA, and others actually tell us to eat the foods that make approximately two-thirds of us overweight.

Yup, there are magic foods that make you fat. It's not how much you eat, it's that there are certain evil foods that make you fat.
    The results of these actions are particularly devastating on those individuals who are not affluent. If you wonder why the economically disadvantaged are more likely to be obese, ponder this: one can buy ten boxes of ramen noodles for one dollar at most grocery stores. On a per calorie basis, few things are cheaper than sugar and other carbohydrates.

If you’re hungry in an airport or a mall (or virtually anywhere out of your own home), how easy is it to avoid sugars and simple carbohydrates?

Once again, it's not that carbs and sugars make you fat, it's how much you eat.
    To Dr. Bray and Ms. Kolata: While I respect your commitment to fighting obesity, diabetes, and their associated chronic diseases, I reject your reasoning for why reducing carbohydrates is not one of the most effective treatments.

If obesity is the over accumulation of fat, and low carb diets offer no metabolic advantage then it is no more effective then any other diet for reducing obesity
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Fair Warning: Dr. Peter Attia supports the Alternative Hypothesis* and is associated with Gary Taubes the science writer.

Thanks for the warning. I know I can safely disregard anything the author has to say.
  • mmapags
    Options
    just to add my 2 cents in agreement with Alabaster, there is strong research to support the idea that a calorie is not just a calorie. Carbs do behave differently, have a different glycemic effect in our bodies. this paper that was recently released examined closely three popular diets in obese individuals who had lost significant weight. i'll leave it up to you all to draw your own conclusions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/study-challenges-the-notion-that-a-calorie-is-just-a-calorie-2012-06-26

So, do you also think those who do not eat low carb are not smart enough to realize that they have other healthy choices and will eat only junk food? Also, marketwatch is not considered "research". Please do post any research you have that proves either hypothesis you support: a calorie is not a calorie and eat low carb or you'll be condemded to eat junk food. And FYI, I have drawn my own conclusions thank you!
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    to the people who get mad at low carb eaters... WTF? everyones bodies are different . i have tried both. and who needs sugar, white bread, and white pasta.. no ty :D really makes one feel bettter
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    White bread, white pasta and sugar aren't the only sources of carbs. There's green vegetables, fruits, dairy, and whole grains as well. A huge portion of our food supply!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    <snip> Yup, there are magic foods that make you fat. It's not how much you eat, it's that there are certain evil foods that make you fat. </snip>
    Whew! I didn't think you'd ever get it, Acg...so nice to have you on board! :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    Options
    to the people who get mad at low carb eaters... WTF? everyones bodies are different . i have tried both. and who needs sugar, white bread, and white pasta.. no ty :D really makes one feel bettter

And do you beleive the only 2 choices are low carb or sugar, white bread and white pasta. Why do you, and others, frame this discussion in terms of absolutes?? So, as you say....WTF?
  • mmapags
    Options
    White bread, white pasta and sugar aren't the only sources of carbs. There's green vegetables, fruits, dairy, and whole grains as well. A huge portion of our food supply!

Gee, ya think?
  • manda1028
    Options
    what im saying is those are the things no one actually needs.. nothing is wrong with a low carb plan of fresh veggies, lean meats, cheese, nuts etc... i dont like feeling sluggish after a bowl of pasta, and this is how i can lose wt vs low cal.. like i said everyones bodies are different and the "wtf" was becuz one of the first responses was something about how low carb makes someone angry and there would be an argument on this topic.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

Gee, ya think?

Someone's rude--I was responding to the black/white post about carbs above mine. Some people are jerks.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what im saying is those are the things no one actually needs.. nothing is wrong with a low carb plan of fresh veggies, lean meats, cheese, nuts etc... i dont like feeling sluggish after a bowl of pasta, and this is how i can lose wt vs low cal.. like i said everyones bodies are different and the "wtf" was becuz one of the first responses was something about how low carb makes someone angry and there would be an argument on this topic.

Not really, a caloric deficit is still required to lose weight, regardless of what dietary approach you want to follow
  • mmapags
    Options

Gee, ya think?

Someone's rude--I was responding to the black/white post about carbs above mine. Some people are jerks.

And I am totally agreeing with you!! Your post is one of the few that showed an intelligent choice that wasn't low carb or white bread and sugar. Bravo!!
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not angels or demons. They are just a type of food. No one type of food makes you fat on its own. Do what's right for you but don't expect everyone else to want to do the same, or to be successful on it. Myself included.

/inb4 flamewar :devil:
  • manda1028
    Options
    i can honestly say i did 1200 cals and was doing light exercise and i did lose, then i steadily gained. probably started to low on cals, but i found it was easier to eat processed stuff on the low cal than i do when i cut carbs. i feel healthier cutting out the junk and eating fresh. which really , i could consider as low cal too but also cutting carbs. it just works with my body and i cant argue with that. im thankful i found something that works for me. i just hate reading where some people think that low carbers are drinking oil and eating rib eyes daily. i never tried to be rude. i respect whatever works for whoevers body and may they continue on getting healthy and looking the way they want to look.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Everyone wants to know my "secret" for losing weight. (Those who aren't busy crying about how anorexic I am and how I don't look healthy, although my doctor has REPEATEDLY told me I am fine.)

They are all excited until I tell them:
    I started making healthy food choices.
    portion control.
    exercise.

boo. Those are the my secrets to losing weight. Too bad everyone is looking for a quick fix. Bahaha, they want their cake and they want to eat it too, all of it.

off to make low fat, low sugar, whole wheat, vegan chocolate chip cookies in honor of my birthday.
  • strgzrlily
    strgzrlily Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    We really need to refine the phrase "calories in - calories out" etc.

Eating deep fried chicken (in) and walking around the block and burning calories (out) has a night and day different end result than eating grilled salmon (in) and exercise followed by cardio (out). The quality of the nutrients make a big difference. I can't support any NO carb solution. I have no problem with LOW carbs as long as they are measured low carbs.

This is good and I agree. I have no desire to debate whether or not low carb is healthy or right for anyone but myself. I've been on Atkins since October of last year and have had wonderful success and feel better than I ever have. My blood work was done recently and my numbers are great! I've lost 68 pounds by eating low carb combined with working my rear off at the gym! However, after carbs, I look at calories next. It does matter.